Zelda's Majora's Mask prototype released

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by drx, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

In time I suppose. But while people are feasting on turkey, it would not be the time to offer a nice chicken... maybe when people get hungry again.

2. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

I just noticed that this ROM is the European 50Hz version, so I am curious if the other unreleased Majora's Mask debug is the US 60Hz version?

ASSEMbler is there any possibility you could confirm if the two unreleased versions run in 50Hz or 60Hz? Also, could I ask what the build date is of the other Ocarina of Time debug version? (You can check using a hex editor by seaching for the text string 'zelda@srd' - the build date is shown just after that, although its probably best to check on a copy of the ROM and not the original file)

I thought it might be handy to compile this small list of known debug versions so far:-
    Released:-
    Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest Debug Version
    60Hz European version (Supports three languages) Blue Master Quest logo and copyright '1998, 2003 Nintendo' on title screen. Has GameCube button layout, and does not have the Nintendo 64 startup logo. Build date in the ROM:-
    [Date:03-02-21 00:16:31]
    Compiled the same day as the final Master Quest ROM used on the European GameCube Zelda bonus disk.

Zelda Majora's Mask Debug Version (cen/cendamos release)
    50Hz European version (Supports four languages) Still uses Nintendo 64 button layout, and has Nintendo 64 start-up logo and states build date of:-
    [Date:00-09-29 09:29:05]
    Compiled less than a minute before the last revision (V1.1) of European Nintendo 64 Zelda Majora's Mask.

Unreleased:-
    Zelda Ocarina of Time (Master Quest?) Debug Version
    Unknown hertz/languages. Normal Ocarina of Time title logo (not Master Quest logo) and no copyright year. Has GameCube button layout.

Zelda Majora's Mask Debug Version
    Unknown hertz/languages. Still uses Nintendo 64 button layout, and has Nintendo 64 start-up logo and states build date of:-
    [Date:00-07-06 16:46:35]
    (Possibly a US 60Hz debug version?)

Both unreleased versions can be seen in this video:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yo_HET5tWc

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. NewDump

NewDump Spirited Member

great release :)

4. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

The way things had been lately, it's more like everyone was eating BOILED GOOSE. =D On a serious note, I'm gonna try to pop this into IDA Pro tomorrow. It might take a while though, when I tried the OoT debug rom it took a few hours to finish the initial pass. :/

5. CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168 Active Member

This is awesome! Any differences yet?

Also link, in your list, maybe add the Majora's Mask demo version?

6. rika_chou

rika_chou <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Ah, I didn't see this topic before. This is very nice! Thanks for releasing it. Defiantly one of my favorite games too, so this will be neat to check out. :D

Thanks for releasing this! You should really post it more places so more people can see it.

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Have to get back to you on the differences.

8. link83

That would be fantastic ASSEMbler, thank you :)

Do you think there is any possibility the buyer of the other Zelda Majora's Mask Debug version (The build shown in your YouTube video) would ever consider releasing it?

I dont want to appear ungrateful as I am absolutely thrilled with cen's release, but I am curious about the other version as it was compiled 25 days before the final US N64 Zelda Majora's Mask, so there is a slightly higher chance of there being differences/changes between that build and the final US N64 version.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  9. zidapi

zidapi Rapidly Rising Member

I'm not so sure about that.
    I'd think that at that late stage in development the game would be undergoing extensive bug testing. Then again, the build may contain a number of unused stuff that had yet to be removed for the final release as the Ocarina Debug had.
    What's the build date on this released version anyhow?

Also, Considering how much Cen paid for this, I can't imagine he's eager to fork out a similar amount again so soon.

Is anybody able to link me to the best place to watch this gem being deconstructed? A lot of the old communities such as ZSO are gone now.

Edited: Formatting. Now with 100% less wall of text.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  10. link83

Yeah, I guess it would be going through bug testing at that point, but there is still a slight possibility of their being differences, even the in game text might have a few small changes in the final month.

Heres a small list of some of the different Zelda Majora's Mask versions using their GoodSet naming (when applicable) combined with the released/known debug versions and shown in order of their internal build dates:-

USA Nintendo 64
    Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (U?) (Debug Version) (YouTube video)
    [Date:00-07-06 16:46:35]
    Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask - Preview Demo (U)
    [Date:00-07-12 16:14:06]
    Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (U) [!]
    [Date:00-07-31 17:04:16]

European Nintendo 64
    Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (E) (M4) (V1.0) [!]
    [Date:00-09-25 11:16:53]
    Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (E) (Debug Version) (cen's release)
    [Date:00-09-29 09:29:05]
    Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (E) (M4) (V1.1)
    [Date:00-09-29 09:29:41]

If you compare the build dates it seems very likely that cen's release is a debug build of the final V1.1 revision of European Zelda Majora's Mask.

I was also under the impression that the 'YouTube' debug version had already been sold to someone else?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

About it's closeness to release implying that it doesn't have much beta stuff left, just take a look at Sonic 2. DRX has SEVERAL roms from up to about a week from release, and lookie lookie, Sega didn't even change the title screen until the 2nd or 3rd build from release :rolleyes:

12. zeldarocks

zeldarocks Member

I was wondering, given the fact that all the links to the ROM are inaccessible, could somebody post a working link for the download?

13. link83

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just wondered if there was ever any news about the two other Zelda debug versions shown on YouTube? Perhaps some new pictures/videos?

Also, as the previous poster mentioned - the original release thread linked in the first post is dead along with the download link. I just wondered if there is any particular reason for this? Is cen in some kind of trouble? If not I dont mind posting a download link if somebody could confirm its ok to do so?

It might be a good idea to confirm if my copy is ok first though, could somebody else who downloaded the ROM confirm that this is correct?:-
    Name: mm_debug.rom
    MD5: 71fbae5d2b27926ea54e92ce2fc91622

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  14. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

This is one nice looking rarity. Thank you very much for releasing.

15. Zomby

Zomby Spirited Member

Any mirror avalible the link from the first post won't work for me :(

16. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Robust Member

17. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

18. jammanutz

jammanutz Spirited Member

awesome

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Sorry for bumping, but I have a question. So I was playing around with this using my 64drive, and while the game plays fine, the audio plays fast and "pops" so to speak. I'm using an NTSC 64. Anyway to fix this?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  20. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Is there a mirror to this file? Haven't been able to find it anywhere. :/