Your other hobbies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Alien Workshop, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

Unfortunately I live in a top floor apartment and growing anything just isn't possible.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

40$ led lights and you're in business.

I have a balcony, which is better of course, but still it's feasible. You can probably buy grown chilies too.

3. Tymek

Tymek Member

I like to travel. I love visiting and exploring new places and areas. And most of my friends live overseas so that also adds to my traveling desires, haha.

4. WorldGenesis

WorldGenesis irc.worldgenesis.net

I like to shoot guns / go to the firing range pretty often, and own two bolt-action rifles (.22LR and .30-06 springfield).
    And I play guitar on occasion (Electric and Acoustic) :D

5. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

In my free time I’m a sound engineer mixing for all kinds of bands

6. 1983parrothead

1983parrothead Rising Member

Other than anything to do with gaming (including listening to OSTs from them), I do some cooking, chatting and some otaku Japanese media.

Zant likes this.
  7. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Apart from PlayStation collecting (especially with my huge game collection and equally huge Ratchet & Clank collection), I usually collect some of the older Apple computer stuff. For now, I've currently got a very early 1999 (says 1998 on the build sticker, however says 1999 everywhere else) iMac G3 in Grape (currently running Mac OS 9.2), a 1999/2000 iMac G3 Lime DV Special Edition that sadly doesn't work (CRT display failure?), a 2000 Power Mac G4 Cube which I'm anxiously looking forward to (and still has the original box and all of its contents. It even has some fairly interesting history; it used to belong to the University of Melbourne), a 2003 Power Mac G4 Mirrored Drive Doors, a 2002 iMac G4 17 inch (sadly doesn't work; IDE hard drive failure. It never boots up to the operating system) a 2003 iMac G4 20 inch (still works! Currently running Mac OSX Tiger), a 2003/2004 Power Mac G5 (1.8 GHz Dual Processor model; currently running a 2007 version of Mac OSX Leopard), a 2006 Mac Pro (2.8 GHz Dual Processor; currently running Mac OS El Capitan). As for displays related to Apple, I have a 2001 model Studio Display (I believe it's a 15 inch and still has the kickstand!) and a 2004 model Cinema Display. They both work perfectly. Apart from that it's usually visiting new places that I haven't visited before (especially driving. I love it!), and listening to some rock and metal (mostly from the 90's and the early 2000's) (yes, I'm a true metalhead at times. Hahaha) Sorry for the long post, I thought I would bring more enjoyment to this thread!

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    la-li-lu-le-lo and Zant like this.
  8. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

That sounds like a nice collection. I collect older Macs too, though I don’t have any of them set up currently because I don’t have the space. The ones I have: iMac G3 (slot-loading, blueberry), Power Mac G4, and Power Mac G5 (late-2005, dual core 970MP). As far as newer Macs, I have a late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro.

I also have an old PC I built that I use for Windows 98 gaming.

FromAllAspects likes this.
  9. FromAllAspects

I would say the same to you too. That's one thing I've wanted to see in person is a Blueberry iMac G3, they look so cool! As for other G3's, there's the Snow, Flower Power and especially Blue Dalmatian, but they're very uncommon (I can't purchase one as they're just not in stock most of the time and they're not in great condition either). Since you mentioned your Power Mac G5, is that the one that's liquid cooled?

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, it does look really nice. I just wish I had somewhere to keep it set up long term. I’d like to install OS 9 on it so I can run Connectix VGS and Starcraft.

Yeah, I think so. There’s information about it on the inside of the case. My system is in really good condition. It’s a 2.0GHz 970MP.

11. FromAllAspects

That's one thing I need to start collecting before it's technically too late. The different Mac OS/OSX install discs are interesting. It's just a shame that Apple gave up on the welcome videos when Mac OSX Snow Leopard came around (To say the least some people would've been annoyed and even more so since the startup chime is gone. I think the chime delete happened in El Capitan, but don't trust me on this. I've given up on the newer Apple operating systems). My favourite welcome video has to go to Mac OSX Panther. What a great operating system that was. I've been trying to find some liquid cooled Power Mac G5's here in Australia and it's damn near impossible to find a functioning one, let alone in good condition. Most have rusted from the inside. The only thing that's a shame about the Power PC hardware is that since it's become so archaic (no offense), it no longer supports websites through Safari, so to remedy this problem (somewhat) you need to use a program called TenFourFox. It's an ok program, but it doesn't support too much and most of the time watching YouTube videos or anything else (say for instance, multitasking), it does no favours to the CPU as it usually maxes out at 100%. That's where my 2015 iMac 4K Retina does most of the work, but even then it doesn't have the greatest performance, plus upgrading it will be a nightmare as most (if not all) of the components are on the screen. I guess Apple did this to get more money from its consumers.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

The only install disc I have currently is Snow Leopard. I’m not sure what you mean about the startup chime; it was my understanding that was a part of the firmware, not the OS. My MBP has Mojave on it, and it still has the chime.

I actually bought Tiger when it came out, back when I had a G4 Mac Mini. I was kinda disappointed by Tiger though, so I returned it.

My Power Mac G5 works just fine. I installed Leopard on it. I haven’t really used it that much though, and I’ve never tried to connect it to the internet.

13. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

If it's 2.0GHz, it's going to be air-cooled - the ones that were liquid cooled were the "quad core" (I.E. 2 x dual core CPUs) models and they were all 2.5GHz plus.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think you're better off without the liquid cooling anyway - I had one of them and the leaking water loop pretty much destroyed the machine (wrecked the PSU, motherboard, CPU modules and case) - the only upside was that despite the machine being out of warranty and not having Applecare my local Apple store fixed it for free (well, "fixed" in the loosest sense - they took the RAM and drives out and put them in a whole new machine).

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Mine is a dual core. I thought it was water cooled, because the inner panel has some kind of warning about potential leakage. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at it.

15. FromAllAspects

From what I believe, they discontinued it at some point (maybe it was a hoax, if it was my apologies). Tiger to me was a little bit clunky and especially when it's on my 20 inch iMac G4. The only thing that keeps me from updating it is the previous owner (I believe he was either Canadian or American) was a programmer and put different programs on that did numerous things, most notable being a CPU percentage meter. My Power Mac G5 works perfectly on Leopard (it's still one of my favourite operating systems), it just does nothing on Safari when browsing (it's always recommended to connect it via Ethernet, otherwise you'll regret it instantly), so to fix it somewhat, you can use TenFourFox. Only problem is the it doesn't use Flash and few other key pieces for certain webpages, so it'll be kind of clunky and laggy.

Thy usually tended to be the best ones, minus their slight problem with leaking (and rusting). The next Apple computer I'm thinking about purchasing is a Mac Pro 12 core from either 2010 or 2012. I believe they get around 28,000+ on Geekbench if you upgrade them a little bit, but they're still about AU$1,500 to $3,000, depending on their specifications.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

16. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Since we're talking Mac at the moment:
    I have an old G3 Blue (whatever fancy name it was) with it's keyboard, picked up for super cheap at the thrift store. I believe it's the 233Mhz version with 192mb of ram installed. Someones put OSX 10.3 on it.
    I also have a "Flower pot" G4 700Mhz, which also has a version of OSX on it (I think 10.4).
    Also have Star Wars episode one racer for Mac (although it doesn't work with OSX....)

17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If they discontinued the chime, it must be built into the hardware, because my MBP has the latest update of Mojave and it still has the chime.

Interestingly, Tiger actually runs pretty well on my Power Mac G4.

Edit: another thing about the startup chime. It plays the sound in the bootloader, before the OS is even loaded. It'll make the sound even if there's no OS installed, so obviously it's not part of the OS. Something I figured out about it recently is that if you mute the audio before you shutdown/restart the system, it disables the chime. I think the volume affects it too, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  18. FromAllAspects

That's some very interesting information. I guess with Tiger, some versions were better than others (just an guess) and I guess it had something to do with the hardware you possessed at the time (eg: Power Mac G4). Strange thing about my 2015 iMac 4K Retina is that when I do start it up (which is very rare; I usually leave it on standby), it never chimes (like you were saying, it may be a hardware related thing. Still, it's a bit strange). We are going to be upgrading soon, but definitely not to the outrageously pricy iMac Pro (with all the options put on it, it comes to around AU$26,000+!!). I was also thinking about doing a Hackintosh project with one of my Apple computers (definitely not my G4 Cube, that is one special computer. Maybe one of my iMac G4's or Mac Pro 1,1 tower will suffice), it's a lot cheaper and usually a worthwhile path if you have a computer that's technically considered obsolete.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I
    I have macOS Sierra installed on my PC. It works really well. I’m at the point where installing macOS on my PC is usually easier than installing Windows. I’d like to upgrade my PC at some point, but the RTX 20xx series isn’t supported yet — plus I’ve heard those cards tend to be rather error prone.