You have tosec/trurip full set? I need your help!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by japanese_cake, Feb 3, 2017.

1. japanese_cake

japanese_cake Spirited Member

Hi,

I'm working on a project (I will communicate about it later) and I need to have access to a full set of Dreamcast title dumps. I don't know whether all the gdrom/mil-cd have been dumped yet but I presume we are close to have a full set. Can someone tell me which set, between tosec/trurip/?any other? is more accurate and complete?

I am looking for someone who has the entire collection of DC gdi dumps, uncompressed (ouch!), ideally in a flat folder structure (like one folder per dump and all dumps in the same folder).

Please let me know via pm if you can help me. (I won't come back to you until next week though, so no rush!)

Thank you all,

2. fille

fille Rapidly Rising Member

3. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

Those are pretty much accurate, as for complete, yes, they're complete if you are looking for full games, but everything else such as demos or other kinds of applications they surely are missing some of them and it would be hard to know exactly what's missing. Just recently I dumped a Marvel vs. Capcom demo that isn't in those compilations.

4. japanese_cake

Thank you! But as far as possible I would like not to download the dumps and uncompress them. I would like someone who has them to execute a script and send me back the results. Sorry if I was not really clear

5. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

I have them, what do you need done?
    ( I have the tosec ones )

TerdFerguson likes this.
  6. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

from you i expect amazing things as always

7. japanese_cake

How many titles do you have approximately? Are there any beta/unreleased dumps? Are they uncompressed? If so you are my pan!
    thank you! I dunno whether it will be amazing, but at least I am working hard on trying to help many gamers :) we will see soon how things work out!

truemaster1 likes this.
  8. Rocky5

I have all the PAL and NTSC GDI tosec dumps, that includes some unreleased games like the flinstones eg...

I will create a batch file to list ever single one and post the list, as I have them all organised. ( OCD lol )

9. japanese_cake

Thanks! Dont waste your time making a listing ;) just an example (screenshot) on how they are organized is enough. I will send you a script to run and it will generate an archive then just send it to me. And no worries the script does not contain a "rm -rf" ;)

10. Rocky5

What file is it your are reading per GDI.
    ( as I have amended the names of multi disc .dgi files/folder )

Just so I know if folder name matter?

Its taking longer than planned, my pico psu died and had to jery rig my old virgin media V+ box power supply :\
    ( I dont have enough space for all the extracted GDI on my PC so having to use an external sata drive )

[​IMG]

I may have to do the PAL first then the NTSC, as the external HDD is only 500GB

This is how I'm doing the layout:
    Code:

PAL Layout ( NTSC Layout is the same )

102 Dalmatians, Disney's - Puppies to the Rescue (GB) (2000) [T-36813D-05] [503-2921-01320-8]
            Media [GD-ROM] [!]
                T-36813D-05 [EE38] [E] [0199A10] [T36813D 05] [20001120] [V1.000].gdi
                track01.bin
                eg...

Multi Disc
        Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (GB) (2001) [T-15112D-05] [354-6430-01231-4]
            Media [GD-ROM] [!] - Disc 1
                T-15112D-05 (Disc 1) [D695] [E] [0799A10] [T15117N] [20010423] [V1.000].gdi
                track01.bin
                eg...
            Media [GD-ROM] [!] - Disc 2
                T-15112D-05 (Disc 2) [D695] [E] [0799A10] [T15117N] [20010423] [V1.000].gdi
                track01.bin
                eg...

Update:
    I'm ready when you are.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    japanese_cake likes this.
  11. japanese_cake

Quick question: do you always have the intermediate folder "Media ..." ?

12. Maddog

Maddog Member

Obviously you are talking about Trurip dats, as TOSEC doesn't have that. Same for stuff like the Flintstones, this is not included in the TOSEC dats. I know, I am the one creating them. :)
    Maybe you downloaded the stuff linked above, which points to a 2014 thread or you are working with a dat that had the Artwork and the Discs merged in the same archive. For this structure, there was a "Media" folder for disc data and an "Art" folder for pictures. In most cases, art files were not available so you end up with a ton of pointless "Media" folders.
    AFAIK, this structure was discontinued at some point around 1-2 years ago. However, it's quite difficult to obtain recent Trurip dats and may require some search, as direct downloads of dats from the project's page have been blocked. If you do manage to obtain such a dat, you can rename the files you already have.
    But in short, the intermediate structure is not needed and you can get rid of it manually if you so wish.

japanese_cake likes this.
  13. Rocky5

The tosec dumps I have all come with the media [GD-ROM] [!]... folders I had to make a batch file to fix them all after extraction.

I assumed they were for emulators since some have txt files for different version. ( a empty zip file basically )

Never mind, 2012 dumps just checked.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  14. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

Just as a reminder, unless this has changed you should not trust the trurip sets based on previous information by the GDEmu guy. They are not valid and will not boot on actual hardware with a GD-ROM emulator.
    http://dknute.livejournal.com/42778.html

I would recommend that you base your research on the TOSEC dumps. You can "fix" a bad trurip dump by extracting it with your GD-ROM explorer tool and re-building a new GDI for it with GDIBuilder and then it will boot on GDEmu. I've confirmed that work-around in the past, but if you're looking for unmodified dumps that obviously will not help you.

Good luck on whatever you're working on!

15. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

warms my heart that i tend to be the go to link LMAO... yeah i need to get a updated set and reup them... but ATM im out of Hard drive space and $$... taxes come in soon and im broke before i even get it...

Hope this guy GDI project goes well

16. Maddog

Maddog Member

No, no, no...this is false information! Please let me get some facts straight.

The dumps that Deunan (GD Emu/Makaron emulator creator) is referring to in the linked post are NOT the Trurip dumps, but dumps from another group called Redump. Trurip and TOSEC GDI dumps were done with the same methods, on real Dreamcasts and basically they are identical. In fact, in the past when Trurip was still new, I allowed the author of Trurip dats to include all the previously verified TOSEC checksums into the Trurip dats. Which makes the Trurip and TOSEC dats almost identical in terms of GDI content. Hell, even the dumpers were almost the same for both groups...

Why then 2 groups exist?, I hear you ask. The approach to dat creation was not the same and an agreement could not be reached for the points seen below, so in the end of the day both groups release their dats and allow people to make their own choice depending on personal preferences.

There are 3 main differences between TOSEC and Trurip, none of which are much of a concern for someone looking to work with GDI dumps:
    1) Trurip also includes non-GDI dumps in their dats as they want to cover all stuff available for the Dreamcast (so they also include stuff like Homebrew and Unreleased games that were never released on GD-ROM format and usually come in .CDI or .CCD format, unlike TOSEC where only GD-ROM (.GDI) dumps are entered in the dats)
    2) TOSEC has a strict requirement of "2 discs, 2 dumpers" (ie only verified matching dumps coming from different persons dumping different GD-ROMs are entered into the dats), while Trurip has also included some dumps done from a single dumper. Specifically for the Dreamcast, this translates to slightly larger quantity at the cost of slightly higher possibility of a bad GDI dump creeping in. But the unverified GDIs in Trurip dats are only a few, probably less than 10. I don't have a Trurip full set, but AFAIK anything contained in both TOSEC and Trurip dats should be identical in terms of checksums/content.
    3) Different naming convention. This is purely personal taste.

Hope things are more clear now. :)

17. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

@Maddog BTW, feel free to send my verifications to TOSEC. I thought you were working together, but not so much in the end. ^^