XG III - Extreme G Racing for Game Boy Advance

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by CollectThor, Oct 30, 2013.

1. CollectThor

CollectThor Member

Another pearl from my collection. This is more a kind of "proof of concept/demo" and not a complete game.

It seems that the developer played around with the "Mode 7" of the GBA and tried to simulate the 3D-Track with a 2D-Bitmap using several scaling technices of the GBA. Overall it looks great (with 60 frames per second) but without any enemies on track and only a static Dummy-GUI. There is also a second plane in the background which is rotated and streched to simulate the 3D-Gameplay which the Extreme-G series was known for.

In my eyes this could have been very nice if the game would have been finished.

Here are some screenshots:

XG3_1.PNG XG3_2.PNG XG3_4.PNG XG3_5.PNG XG3_6.PNG XG3_10.PNG XG3_11.PNG XG3_13.PNG

The game of course looks way more impressive on video. Here is a link to the youtube video i've sent the guy over at unseen 64 some time ago:

http://youtu.be/JMG45sItwyw

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Juganawt

Juganawt Rapidly Rising Member

Wow, that looks like it could have been a fantastic little handheld game. I really enjoyed the XBox/PS2/GC versions, and this seemed to accurate hold the same kind of "feel" as the console versions did. I'm guessing technical limitations when adding opponents and weaponry killed this off?

3. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

It looks like a 3D proyection, the effect used in Road Rash or Test Drive II: The Duel, that werent raster effects (like Outrun or Hang On).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  4. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

This Demo ist from Similis for Akklaim. That means, that this Demo was probably written by Manfred Trenz!
    There are also 2 other Demos with that Mode 7 Stuff. One is called Mario Kart XXL.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. CollectThor

CollectThor Member

I also have the Mario Kart and Star Wars Demo here but they use a different graphics mode. Mario Kart has two separate bitmap-planes (one is the road track itself and another one much deeper down - it's more like F-Zero) which are just manipulated in the 3D space without any "distortion" and plays and looks more like micro machins.

6. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Would it be possible to have images or even better videos about the other two demo?

Do you also own Katakis 3D or Micro Machines V3 demo?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Impressive use of the scaling hardware. It's possible with a bit of sprite work they could have added an extra layer of depth to the game to make up for when they tried to do steep inclines in the track.

Thanks for the post.