Xenon Development Kit

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by bowser22, Dec 11, 2018.

1. bowser22

bowser22 .

it absolutely must be 2ghz. I am about to test hddrawcopy to see if it is capable of making the booting image on a fresh hd.

Traace and oldengineer like this.
  2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Success!, I'm guessing no one tested this on a 500GB hard drive as it failed to load the dash on a couple systems of mine.

I ordered (2) 160GB Apple drives, they arrived today and as a bonus they came with the rubber screws for sliding in to the G5 chassis.

The PCI-X 2 system booted instantly using a 160GB and loaded the dash just fine. I'm sure if I put this drive in a PCI-X system, the same results would happen.

3. Shadha

Shadha #LongLiveTheBromanRevolution

Post some N00des Syclopse

Syclopse likes this.
  4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

[​IMG]

Shadha likes this.
  5. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

I am pulling what little hair I have left out at this.

What BootROM are you using to load this up? I am just getting stuck with a grey screen and the fans spinning up. I have the correct 2.0ghz machine as far as I can see, with a working x800xt. My BootROM is in the 5.2's though, which from reading the wiki, is not where I need to be.

If someone could share their bootROM image using the method in the wiki as well, that would be SUPER helpful.

Cheers

6. Alpha Disruptor

Alpha Disruptor Rising Member

How many RAM slots does your machine have?

7. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

4 (2 banks of 2) going horizontally across the machine, behind the fan mech.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  8. Alpha Disruptor

Your G5 is a 2005 PCI model then (assuming it's a dual processor model). A lot of people have reported compatibility problems with this model so I have elaborated on the wiki that you need a dual processor machines with 8 RAM slots. Compatibility on this model is currently unknown.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp_pci.html

I have a 2005 PCI model on the way so that I can do some testing but from my experience the bootROM can't be downgraded to 5.1.8f0 most likely since the board shipped with a later bootROM initially. I would highly advise against manually flashing a 5.1.8f0 bootROM onto a PCI model until it is confirmed working as you would have a high chance of bricking the machine if it isn't compatible.

oldengineer and bowser22 like this.
  9. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

Got it. I have a lead on the correct model (7,2) and I should be picking it up tonight.

bowser22 likes this.
  10. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

Still no joy, new system (8 RAM slots, 512mb, 2.0, 5.1.5f0 BootROM) boots, grey, to white, some small artifacting, then black. Wired controller never syncs to the first player, appears to hang there. VGA or DVI output, doesnt matter.

I know the X800 is OK, it booted to Mac OSX and plays Halo and is recognised properly under OSX, no issues or artifacting on normal boot screens or the diagnostics disc. Passes every check on the disc as well.

EDIT - Just want to say that I tried using OF to boot into multiboot and also to boot direct. The disk has no label, and responds with an error. Should I see XEBOOT on that multi-boot screen?

Should I try going up to 5.1.8?

11. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Is the hard drive 160GB? I had 3 units hang at grey/white then black screen using different 500GB drives.

Hmm, but my controllers sync'd at player 1 while at the black screen. Wrong video card usually hung at white screen in my tests. I think they said any VGA/DVI combo X800 have issues?

1.) A1047 PCI-X or PCI-X 2 system.
    2.) 160GB hard drive , using hdd raw copy tool to dump the image to it, inserted in the TOP slot of the G5.

3.) X800 XT 256MB dual DVI or DVI/ADC (not one with VGA port?)
    4.) Wired Krypton controller or Controller S with USB adapter, you can splice a USB end to an old controller.

Using the above items there is nothing you need to do other than turn it on.

https://www.xenonwiki.com/FrankenXenon

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  12. Alpha Disruptor

Can you confirm what exact GPU you are using? Is it an X800 XT Mac Edition card or just a PC card flashed to Mac?

EDIT: Your bootROM version is fine. Don't upgrade/downgrade it since it shouldn't be necessary.

13. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

1. Tried both. X2 hangs on grey and spins up the fans, PCI-X is now booting to white, a small amount of disk activity, and constantly rebooting. Both have PRAM reset a few times.
    2. Now using an original 160gb Seagate. Was using multiple different drives 160/250/500gb, pretty much the same result every time unless the drive never got recognised. Using that tool on PC. Also have used dd on a mac.
    3. x800xt Mac Edition, DVI/ADC
    4. Wired retail Xbox 360 controller.

Whilst writing this, now the unit has booted and is not outputting anything over the DVI port. Will hook up a VGA screen and test again. Edit: Same deal. Boots to grey, then white, then no signal. Controller never syncs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  14. Alpha Disruptor

Is your DVD drive plugged in and recognized? Usually the machine hangs when it fails to boot. Rebooting usually means a hardware issue. When I had my half-broken X800 XT hooked up it would take about 20 reboots to work successful. Once I had a working X800 XT it worked on the first try every time.

15. Alpha Disruptor

Also just wanted to say that my PCI Early 2005 G5 arrived and after replicating the issue it seems that any patched "updaters" to downgrade the firmware don't work. This is most likely due to the fact that this model never had a firmware update and only ran 5.2.4f1. I've confirmed that manually flashing an earlier BootROM on the board WILL brick the machine.

I was hoping that it would work since the CPU and other specs match but it seems like something is different with the SMC. This is most likely why the model is PCI and not PCI-X which is the only difference (aside from the 4 instead of 8 RAM slots) that I can see.

16. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

DVD seems fine. I have actually swapped it with the other g5 and it can boot from the diagnostic disc. Also, when you say "half broken" x800xt, what do you mean by that? Was there any telltale signs I can look for on my x800 to see if there is anything wrong?

I appreciate the help. Cheers

17. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

So here is a quick video that I have thrown together to show exactly how this system is booting. I have boosted the sound a bit so that you can hear exactly what the hard disk is doing as well.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers
    Steve

18. Syclopse

Syclopse .

It seems instead of going to the white screen your system freezes or reboots, none of mine did that. If I used an incorrect video card it would hang at the white screen but not desync with the monitor like yours did. If I used a 500GB drive it would hang at the black screen with the controller synced at Player 1.

Krypton controller lights and screen colors:

GRAY: Controller shuts off
    WHITE: Controller blinks
    BLACK: Controller syncs to Player 1 and XENON Launcher loads.
    (if using a retail controller, move a stick to sync to Player 1)

Controller will blink roughly 4-5 at the CHIME and 27-28 times until the gray screen in my tests.

Questions:
    Memory in system, have extra laying around and can you install 512MB only for testing purposes.
    Video card: Did you attempt flashing it or anything, also is the fan confirmed working?

19. stevenapex

stevenapex Member

Again, I appreciate all the help you are providing. Its better than going this alone.

Memory has been reduced down to 512, same result. There is 2gb in there right now, but I am booting between Tiger and Xenon, for the ATI ROM flasher application.

Fan is confirmed working. oddly enough, I am looking at the card in OSX, and the profiler lists: ROM Revision: 113-A35801-10x (4,8 or 9, depends on ROM version. As of right now, 108)

I pull the card from the unit, printed on the PCB is PN109-A35803-00, but on the back the sticker reads PN102A3580102 000004. I will be extra pissed off if there are multiple levels of X800XT cards out there that are seemingly identical to each other!

I have stuck some pictures in an album. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jv63s84XxJyjcN3K8

20. Syclopse

Syclopse .

If it's an X800 XT 256MB Mac Edition with DVI/ADC there is NO need to play with flashing ROM's, you may have borked it tinkering with ROM's.

I have early cards I believe, 102-A3580-00 and 102A3580100 000001

bowser22 likes this.