Xenon Development Kit

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by bowser22, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Alpha Disruptor

Alpha Disruptor Rising Member

You should be able to use the controller combination as long as the kit is booted.

2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I get the same results using the engineering sample and retail 109-A35803-00 cards, but this is also on a January 2005 PCI-X 2 system and could be related. It locks on the controller player 1 but black screens using either card.

3. Alpha Disruptor

Can you post your hardware specs?

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Also on the PCI-X system from February 2004, syncs controller as player 1 and gray screen then black screen using either card.

Only thing I can think of is I used a 500GB SATA hard drive, or maybe the system that this 1529 image was created from had a an oddball resolution.

5. Alpha Disruptor

What's your hardware config and what screen(and resolution) are you connecting it to? I had issues with larger DVI based screens and could only get VGA screens working with a DVI to VGA dongle.

6. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I have the DVI-VGA adapter that shipped with these kits and I was using a 3-4 year old Dell widescreen monitor and also tried it with a Dell 15" 4:3 from 2005. Both monitors sync, just no picture behind the black glowing screen once Player 1 syncs.

Edit: Just tried 3 other DVI-VGA adapters, same results.

Also tried DVI cable directly without an adapter, same gray then black lit screen synced with Player 1 on the controller.

Tomorrow I'll try the clone to a 160GB apple drive.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. Alpha Disruptor

If the controller is syncing then it is most likely working. Are you seeing it on your network with an nmap scan (assuming you have a network card)?

Here's the button combo from a fresh boot to access the HDTV resolution menu. My screen running off of a DVI-VGA adapter is running off of VGA video mode with HDTV Resolution set to None.
    X (to Tools Menu)
    DOWN 1 (highlight System Settings)
    A (to System Settings)
    DOWN 4 (highlight HDTV Resolution)
    A (to HDTV Resolution)
    DOWN (0 = None, 1 = 480p, 2 = 720p, 3 = 1080i)
    A (to Confirm Selection)

The last DOWN should be pressed however many times you need to match the resolution listed in the brackets.

EDIT: I'm also using an Apple DVI to VGA adapter if that makes a difference. It shouldn't but I figured I would mention it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    oldengineer and Syclopse like this.
  8. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Can you create a quick video of the screen from first power up so I can watch the flickering of the monitor and then also go to the video settings like above so I have a visual. Please also have your controller in view of the screen so I can see exactly when it syncs.

I tried blind mode but it didn't seem to do anything different or reboot or anything, I'm assuming it does it on the fly without the need to reboot.

9. bowser22

bowser22 .

10. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Thanks, yeah so the black screen right before the dash loads is where it's hanging. Which ever system this image was made from, can you view the current video settings as I'm curious. It's almost as if it's set to boot in headless mode or something.

11. Alpha Disruptor

VGA mode with resolution set to None which is default. Have you tried looking for it on the network? Is there any sound when speakers are plugged in? Aside from you saying that the controller is connected, it doesn't seem like your kit is actually booted.

I'm also not sure what model you are specifically trying to use. The AGP based G5's were PCI-X -> PCI-X 2 -> PCI. PCI-X 2 was 2004 so I'm not sure if by "January", you mean manufacturing date or model date since there isn't a January 2005 model as far as I know.

12. Syclopse

Syclopse .

A1047 PCI-X 512MB and A1047 PCI-X 2 512MB , I'm going to try the image on a Seagate 160GB tomorrow.

The controller stops flashing and syncs on player 1 at the black screen as shown in Bowser's video, I just can't see his controller lights as it's booting.

This would help tons so I can see the timing of when the controller syncing up, also if there are any sounds as I can hook up speakers to compare.

13. Alpha Disruptor

14. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Honestly I'm not looking for it on my network at this time, just the boot sequence and the monitor. If it helps you, I'll isolate it tomorrow and see if I can grep the mac address from the arp cache.

15. Alpha Disruptor

I have wiped my frankenxenon drive and restored the shared compressed image to it and it worked after resetting the NVRAM. Drive that I used was a ST3160023AS 160GB.

oldengineer and Syclopse like this.
  16. Syclopse

Syclopse .

In case this helps someone out there, this is for WD SATA 3GB & and SATA 6GB drives to force 1.5GB mode.

[​IMG]

Traace, oldengineer and bowser22 like this.
  17. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Are you using the FireGL X3 video card in your G5?

18. Alpha Disruptor

X800 XT currently. I have tested with the FireGL X3 and it works fine. You should be able to swap between the two without issues.

oldengineer likes this.
  19. Traace

Traace Rapidly Rising Member

For Hitachi HDDs all whats needed is a PC with BIOS that supports SATA in IDE Mode. Then boot the Hitachi Feature Tool with it.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/2/3/37231621/ftool_215.iso

Burn this disc,
    boot it up,
    choose the HDD.
    change HDD speed to SATA-I (1,5GB/s)
    poweroff.
    done

Jumper settings from Apple certificated seagate HDDs are compatible with "non-apple". But I forgot the exact position and need to take a look again.

20. oldengineer

oldengineer Familiar Face

How critical is the processor running at 2.0 GHz?

...I appreciate is doesn't want to be more than 2.0 GHz, but would 1.8 GHz boot?

Traace likes this.