XEN8 Gamecube modchip issues

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Nully, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

First off I'd like to let it be known that (after removing and swapping in 4 different chips and re-soldering to 3 different drives) this chip apparently has TWO red LEDs instead of the green or orange you're expecting. I shorted a point on purpose to see if it does anything and it will loop a flashing red LED. My issue is I can boot to the xeno shell just fine every time but it will not load any burned games. I've tried 3 different brands, burn speeds, ISOs and it won't boot anything but retail discs. Anyone have any idea? I did try to play with the potentiometer a bit with no success. This is an image of the last test install I did and none of these are working for me. Connections have been checked under a 50x microscope, they are fine believe me.

It may very well just be my media, I just ordered some Ridata and Fujifilm mini dvd-rs. But I'll leave this thread as a PSA about these chips because having the success LED be the same color as a failure one is something far from intelligent.

UPDATE: It ended up being a media issue.
    Chip: XEN8 GC
    Backups: Working
    Imports: Working
    LED diagnostics: Solid>Off>Solid=Success Flashing=Failure (likely a bridge)
    Video: https://streamable.com/mj3q6 (yes that's an anti-static bag because I'm lazy)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Dauntless Member

Gamecubes are very finicky with burned media. Best way to test your chip is to have an out-of-region retail game handy. If it can boot that, then your install is fine. I picked up a cheap PAL Gamecube game off eBay for something like $5 shipped specifically to test chip installs (I am NTSC-U region).

Also I came across this. I haven't heard of the Xen8 until now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

That's a great idea actually. What if you do the region jumper and then try to boot an NTSC-U game? I've just done probably 50 Gamecubes in my life without issues and suddenly these new "XEN8" chips had me going insane with the LED colors and I am using Sony DVD-R discs, but typically I would have been using Fujifilm or Ridata mini DVD-R. Most likely that's going to be the problem here.

4. Mord.Fustang

Do you mean the NTSC-U / NTSC-J region jumper?

5. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

Yeah, if I do that and try to play one of my NTSC-U retail discs with the xeno, wouldn't that suffice as a test console if it boots?

And yep that's the picture I saw when I finally gave up and googled it, they are like 3 bucks on eBay/Aliexpress. Build quality seems the same, just a stupid choice for LED indicator lights.

6. Mord.Fustang

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking with using the same coloured LEDs.

Using the switch wouldn't help you test your chip though. Sure, it'll tell you if it can boot retail discs, but not because of the chip.

7. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

The Gamecube is region-locked correct? So if you're changing your region to NTSC-J and I put in a NTSC-U game and it boots, wouldn't it mean that the chip is bypassing the region lock or is something else going on with that mod? I just wired it up and it boots NTSC-U retail on NTSC-J and NTSC-U afterwards. I've been out of the loop for awhile, but pretty sure Gamecube doesn't just boot Japanese games by default.

8. Mord.Fustang

Yes it's region locked. Are you using the switch in combination with the Xeno? Are the games you're using retail games or burned games?

9. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

Retail NTSC-U game with the NTSC-J region set by the switch I made on the Gamecube which has the xeno "clone" wired to the DVD drive. I won't have my proper disc media until next week. So far all I can really say that shows me these work is that I can boot the xeno shell, and you made me curious to try the region mod for some type of closure until my discs arrive.

10. Mord.Fustang

Oh I get what you're saying now. So you install the switch into your NTSC-U GC, set it to NTSC-J, and try and boot your retail NTSC-U game? Yeah, that should tell you if your chip install is good. Good idea.

11. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

Exactly, I was trying to explain that it would be a test console like your PAL console without needing to buy another Gamecube. Sounds like they work then, thanks for the idea.

I just realized there was some yellow ball in my picture, ended up being a piece of candy or something lol, eBay...

12. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Modchips can play imports without using a region switch. (after all there's no region switch mod that goes either into PAL, or from PAL)

The problem is that modchips do not, in actuality, change the region of the Gamecube.
    Some games have compatibility issues if they detect the system language setting is incorrect.

A region switch is mainly useful to reduce glitches when playing NTSC-J games on an NTSC-U console. It also toggles NTSC versions of Star Fox Adventures between English or Japanese subtitles and text.

13. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

The issue was trying to see if the chips were even functioning at all. Funny you bumped this thread just now, I was about to post an update that with the Fujifilm mini-DVD-R discs it works completely fine and boots every time. So I can confirm these "new" "clones" work!

Updated with some information and a video showing the boot process.

Mord.Fustang likes this.
  14. Mord.Fustang

Nobody was saying that the modchips change the region. OP wanted a way to test his modchip out with a retail game, and the region switch would allow for that.

Glad you got it working Nully. You can get those Xen8 Xeno clones for like $3 shipped off eBay. Glad to hear they actually work.

15. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Oh yeah. Oops, thanks for spelling it out.

16. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

I'm sure what you posted will help whoever finds this thread in the future with the same problem; which is why I added in a tl;dr of what to expect with these.

I also had a 100% success rate on 3 different discs over 20 attempts, so should be fine as a replacement when the old xenos dry up.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Mord.Fustang likes this.