XCKDIY Dreamcast IDE Board: Inexpensive GD-ROM HDD Replacement

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by smoke monster, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Gromber

Gromber Spirited Member

bios mod install isn't easy, at least for me, i broke some motherboards some years ago... hope to know if they can be repaired, for now i play with a dreamcast i bought...

2. fafadou

fafadou Spirited Member

It's more easy and safe to install your hdd in your gdrom. If you break your gdrom you can replace it by hdd, usb gdrom or gdemu.

For the bios, now there are some videos and chipset already flashed.

Gromber likes this.
  3. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rising Member

Man, i have had this thing sitting on my shelf for months, and i can not, for the life of me, get it to boot....
    dreamshell is setup correctly, if nothing is connected IDE, it boots the image on the SD card via the serial connection correctly, im running the nogdrom bios, if the jumper on the CF adapter is NC or set to 2-3 (slave/master according to the screen) it detects it and mounts it, but never boots, if its set to 1-2 (master/slave according to the screen) it fails to detect it, if i put a correctly bootable SD card in the serial connection as well, it will ALSO detect that correctly, and mount it, and never boot.......

i found one guy who made a video of a similar problem, where it would boot with the gdrom board stacked on top of his adapter, saying it was something about master/slave issues with ide drives that have no slave jumper, or are cable select or something, but i was under the impression that was not needed for this setup. also, the screening on the master/slave jumper on this adapter doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but it doesnt work at all when flipped....

Ideas? Suggestions? anyone wanna sell me a usbgdrom or gdemu instead?

Attached Files:

4. truemaster1

truemaster1 Peppy Member

gdemu orders opening at sunday if nothing changes. keep a close eye

5. megavolt85

megavolt85 Spirited Member

Press START, select "boot from IDE", press B button

6. Mobius_trip

my bios doesnt have a loader with "boot from ide" as an option, which bios should i be using?

7. Mobius_trip

ok, nvm, it does have that option, i had just never seen it before

so heres how it happens:
    if i dont touch the controller at all: about 60% of the time it properly detects and mounts the IDE drive, and then moves on to the SD card (if ones there it mounts it fine, if not, it says one not found) then progresses no further. it hangs here, and if i press start at that point, nothing happens

if i attempt to press start at any point during the detecting and mounting of the drives, it either instantly hangs, or it says "loading boot menu" and then goes to a black screen and hangs

if i MASH start over and over from boot, it is the same as above EXCEPT its more likely to black screen and hang rather than instantly hang, ONCE while trying it like this, it went to the menu, and it had boot from CD, RAM, and IDE as an option, this is the first time ive seen that, hit B on ide, nothing happens, but menu isnt hung, i can still move selector up and down.

8. GillBert

GillBert Spirited Member

From what I saw in your picture, you are using a CF to SD Card adapter. Unfortunately, those devices are hit & miss when using with Dreamshell/G1-ATA mod.
    There is another potential problem: You are not using GD-ROM board, so not all devices will properly work in slave mode along with G1-ATA/nogdrom bios.
    I think you'll have more luck with an actual CF Card instead of a CF-to-SD adapter.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  9. Mobius_trip

both of the adapters i use have been tested successfully by others on the xck board, i cannot fathom the IDE->CF board being the problem unless something is wonky with its slave/master jumper as CF and ide are compatible, i mean, maybe i got a bad one for the CF to SD, but i ordered from the same place i know someone elses working one came from. i also tried a plethora of various sizes and speeds of SD card. I know for a fact the dual SD to CF doesnt work, but the single one is supposed to according to many people whove used it, i ordered a different IDE->CF just to see (the exact same one shown in the offical XCK pics) and i will try to get my hands on a regular CF card , but i have a distinct feeling the problem is elsewhere... my XCK board had 2 bodge resistors on the bottom side on the IDE plug, and for the life of me i couldnt figure out what they were for, even after looking at a standard IDE pinout, and looking over many peoples work who did the wired version of the mod to see if that is ever mentioned or required... i never saw anything of the sort on bottom-of-motherboard or gdrom-board versions. do other people with the xck board have the same things? i tried removing them, and then replacing them, no change in the results... is there some special change in the XCK bios? i did NOT use the supplied bios chip as i already had a flashable bios in mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. fafadou

fafadou Spirited Member

Try to check your ground, keep only the ground 2 and shorter as possible (max 8cm and 5cm in a better issue).

11. Mobius_trip

i dont fully understand what youre telling me to do fafadou, i dont have any wires... its a pcb, to a ide plug, to an adapter.

12. fafadou

fafadou Spirited Member

Your ide must have some wires.

Check the ground 2 and try with only this one, it has worked for me : 8cm max.

13. GillBert

GillBert Spirited Member

@fafadou : He's not using any wires at all. XCKDIY board is a PnP solution.

@Mobius_trip : I don't believe there are issues with IDE-CF adapter either, I was referring to the CF-SD adapter specifically. I said this because I already faced similar problems you're having concerning not using GD-ROM board with nongdrom bios. I think is worth to make a test with a CF Card in order to isolate the problem.

fafadou likes this.
  14. Anthony817

Anthony817 Intrepid Member

fafadou likes this.
  15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

I sell bios kits and have done for many years

16. Anthony817

Anthony817 Intrepid Member

Yeah you and APE came first to mind but not sure who still had any stock of them or dealt in them anymore. Plus I was trying to see who did them from the US but last I remember you were from UK.

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

shipping is around a week and costs £4, so that shouldnt really be any sort of issue.

far as I know, ape is mostly out of the modding game and he buys them from me anyways

Anthony817 likes this.
  18. Mobius_trip

i finally got the damn thing working, it was the CF to SD adapter, there is one that works, but all the readily available ones on the market do NOT, i also tested a few ide to SD adapters, none of those work either, but none of those have jumpers for master/slave and there is little to no information i could find online on forcing one into master or slave, which i feel is their problem, the only one thats jumpered is the Addonics one, and i could not find one to buy anywhere... you cant even get the part number from their website, despite it having pictures of the adapter, it seems they may not sell it any more. Its entirely too hard to get an SD card working with an IDE solution on the dreamcast.... just to make sure my XCKDIY adapter wasnt bad itself, i also built my own ide setup, and sure enough, all the same things work/dont work on my hand made one as the XCKDIY, so now i have a totally extra ide setup....

I just need to get a USBGdrom or a GDemu...

Attached Files:

Anthony817 likes this.
  19. Mobius_trip

on a lighter note, i can not for the life of me understand why more people arent working on a QSB solution for ide on the bottom of the gdrom driver board, everything there was very easy access, and with some thoughtful positioning, it should be more than possible to position an ide plug facing upward and fitting one of the smaller ide to CF boards, allowing you to use a CF card through a case cutout without interfering with the gdrom drive, meaning you could either run a disk or boot from cf with a flip of the bios switch. id need to measure, but the lid might even close with the CF card upright as well... ive never designed a board before, maybe i should try it with this... seems a little out of my depth for a starter board though.

Anthony817 likes this.
  20. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Member

I'm finding it a bit difficult to design a board there. I'm a newbie when it comes to designing PCB. Currently working on other stuff at the same time and am now focusing on 1 project at a time. Nice that you got your board working!