XCKDIY Dreamcast IDE Board: Inexpensive GD-ROM HDD Replacement

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by smoke monster, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rapidly Rising Member

Lotec25 are you trying to order it straight thru taobao? if so, your gonna have a bad time, use another service... i used engtaobao.com to order mine, took a while, but it made everything easier, and you basically copy the link to the item you want into engtaobao and they order it for you... its a two stage system, you place your order, they give you an invoice to buy+ship it to them, you pay the invoice and they pay for the item... when it gets shipped to them, they provide you with another invoice for the international shipping, once you pay that, they ship it to you.

2. MeteK

MeteK Rapidly Rising Member

@ a totally crazy price ...

3. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rapidly Rising Member

is 35$+shipping really a crazy price? i went the xckdiy because this wasnt available yet, and it also requires case cutting which id like to avoid, but 35$ plus shipping doesnt seem too nuts to me considering youll pay more for an xckdiy once all the shipping is said and done... i do recall that when this was first announced they were lookinig at a 100$ ish price point, but that isnt the case now..

4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Please tell me you looked at the link? The link I posted was for the BIOS flex board mod. There is not even a price for those things yet as they aren't even finished.

I only mentioned it was the guy making the IDE flexboards, not that we were even talking about the IDE thing. He quoted the message with the photo I posted about the bios mod.

5. MeteK

MeteK Rapidly Rising Member

Ok i didn't know that the price went lower ...

6. Andrews2kx

Andrews2kx Member

Hi guys, Andrews here, brazilian guy from Dream IDE Reborn.
    I have to agree with you in some points: when i launched first version, costed 90 usds because i made this in Brazil in a few quantity pieces, it was all money i had to spend at that time.I don´t got rich, i don´t changed my "1998-old-honda-always-civic-breaking-car", but helped me cover the costs and raise up again to do batch 2.

I was received many criticism about the price in the beginning, but, in that moment i prefered to sell and install here in Brazil, to raise costs to produce more for in next batchs costs much more cheap than before.

Dream IDE Reborn was made for keeps your Dreamcast in a hybrid system - If Dreamshell dont run properly so you still can use your working gd-rom, getting 100% of compatibility. Majority of my costumers here has a lot of a genuine games and don´t want lost gd-rom function. Another have 2 or 3 systems, using specifically to only run dreamshell dashboard.

Thats why i drawed pcb for solder from the bottom of DC board.

Dream Bios Revolution still in development, first batch that me and Jailson (from Dreamcast fix) had a little fit size to do. We still redrawing project, for build more 10 prototypes to test.

I hope bring some good news still this month. If someone have any suggestions just type me in email andrews2k5 at gmail dot com.
    Regards.

7. kipper2k

kipper2k Newly Registered

Hi,
    is there going to be an IDE board done for the Katana va2.1 boards ?

8. Andrews2kx

Andrews2kx Member

Hi!
    VA2 the search for do the mod here in BR in this board is next to zero. (i never saw one VA2 model here, per example)
    If you see below its much more easy and quickly to do mod here than VA0/1:

[​IMG]

Helder and Anthony817 like this.
  9. XC-3730C

XC-3730C Member

Any plans on a SATA version of this board?

10. Gromber

Gromber Spirited Member

if someday i can repair one motherboard that i broke trying to install bios mod... i would like to add some of this mods xD

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  11. Andrews2kx

Andrews2kx Member

I'm trying something, did some tests but until now didn't works :(
    I unsoldered PS3 Marvell sata/ata chip because that green cheap converter (Aldair (Alexsandro Silva) uses it soldering short wires and remove gd block completely) doesn't work if you just plug in the board. A french guy that i forget nick lifted pin 33 from JM20330, put 3v3 on it and have sucess.
    So, i solder ps3 chip in an hybrid ide/sata - sata/ide converter without master/slave (megavolt posted above) and works with any hd, any ide cable (tested with xbox original cable and asus 80way too).
    I'm trying to draw something, but with a little 1 1/2 year daughter and 2 jobs (im system analist and fix/modding videogames at weekends) its killing me for this...

12. Andrews2kx

Andrews2kx Member

m trying something, did some tests but until now didn't works :(
    I unsoldered PS3 Marvell sata/ata chip because that green cheap converter (Aldair (Alexsandro Silva) uses it soldering short wires and remove gd block completely) doesn't work if you just plug in the board. A french guy that i forget nick lifted pin 33 from JM20330, put 3v3 on it and have sucess.
    So, i solder ps3 chip in an hybrid ide/sata - sata/ide converter without master/slave (megavolt posted above) and works with any hd, any ide cable (tested with xbox original cable and asus 80way too).
    I'm trying to draw something, but with a little 1 1/2 year daughter and 2 jobs (im system analist and fix/modding videogames at weekends) its killing me for this...

13. Andrews2kx

Andrews2kx Member

m trying something, did some tests but until now didn't works :(

Dream Bios Revolution is coming! :)

14. DMJohn0X

DMJohn0X Newly Registered

Im looking at buying either XDKDIY's mod or Andrew's as Im not currently willing to pay ~$200 to mod my Dreamcast.

What I need to know is, do either/neither/both of these solutions require a Bios Mod?

Im fairly new to the scene as my Dreamcast just arrived in the mail. Snagged it for $30 on ebay with 2 controllers and a VMU.
    Im planning on painting it (red velvet w/ black accents and a glossy car finish) but figure I should do my modding first as I may need to take a dremel to it.

PS~ Im fine with a soldering iron, i just havent seen much information in regards to bios modding or the necessity of it.

15. GillBert

GillBert Spirited Member

XDKDIY is a kind of GD-ROM drive replacement, so it will require a bios mod.
    Andrew's solution on the other hand allow you to retain the GD-ROM drive, so a bios mod is not mandatory as long as you have a working GD-ROM drive in order to boot Dreamshell disc.

16. DMJohn0X

I see. So a bios Mod is only required if you replace the gd-rom. Is there a cheap pre-programmed bios chip thats easy to install?

17. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Active Member

Look up dual bios mod for Dreamcast. It should come up with some results showing how it is done. Doesn't look too difficult. There was a user who was selling pre-programmed bios chip but I'm not sure if he still does. His name was Bad something.

18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Bad_Ad84

Korn16ftl3 and madsheep like this.
  19. DMJohn0X

Bad_Ad84, your modding parts page seems to be broken.

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The link in my sig?

Fixed it now, thanks for the heads up