Xbox XDK Recovery for DVT4

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by Shane McRetro, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Howdy folks! Geez, it has been a while! I've been searching around but haven't had any luck tracking down an XDK recovery disc for my DVT4. I was wondering if anyone out there could lend me a hand or point me in the right direction? Appreciated as always! :)

Edit: No longer need it as the Xbox caught fire! Whoops! :eek:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. Jaffacakes Kid

Jaffacakes Kid Active Member

Slightly intrigued on what you did to cause an Xbox fire? :D

Shane McRetro likes this.
  3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Probably the power connector? They are known to crack and arc.

Shane McRetro likes this.
  4. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Hahaha, not literal fire but @Bad_Ad84 makes a good point! My solder pads were lovely on this one! :)

The clock cap didn't take out too much nearby, which is always nice. While in there I bumped the old 10GB to a 120GB SSD with a PATA -> SATA converter and slapped in an 80 conductor IDE cable for the hard drive -> daughter board. Original hard drive was imaged thanks to fatxfs under Ubuntu. Interestingly while the recovery software for the Xbox "xdk 5849 (Xbox SDK Dec 2003).tar" allows installation on a new hard drive, it does lock the hard drive to prevent "easy" access via fatxfs. Once unlocked (using Chimp 261812), it imaged without any issues. From there data recovery could be run on the image under Ubuntu via gddrescue or similar. Quite a fun time! Probably should pass it on to the next person to have a play with though. I can't believe it took me over two years to get around to this. Life is just too busy!

IMG_3678.jpg IMG_4278.jpg IMG_4293.jpg

oldengineer likes this.