Xbox XDK HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by RAPTOR115X, May 7, 2018.

1. RAPTOR115X

RAPTOR115X Rapidly Rising Member

So I've recently came into possession of an Xbox 360 XDK, however the HDD in the sidecar appears to have bitten the dust, is it possible to use a HDD that originated from a retail sidecar? Obviously i know i cannot use any normal HDD like you can on an RGH'd retail but I'm thinking it may be possible to use an official retail HDD and format it accordingly.

2. begallegal1

begallegal1 Spirited Member

I'm pretty sure you meant to say "originated from a retail HDD", but just to clarify, retail consoles (or any modded types) don't have sidecars, the sidecar of an XDK is so much larger than a retail HDD because it contains not only the HDD, but the circuit boards that aid in disc drive emulation and debugging capabilities.

AFAIK you can use any 2.5" SATA drive as a replacement, I would assume the best option in this case is to use the "retail" system menu (not x-shell dev menu) to format the device once installed, but I also know XDK don't have the same partitions as retails (like the one that holds backwards compat files) so I can only assume the console would make the necessary partitions using this method. Never had to replace mine in my XDK so for all I know you just format them in FAT32.

Come to think of it if you stick a retail formatted HDD into the XDK you may not even have to format, just add a folder to the root called "DEVKIT" once neighborhood is connected on the host PC.

hopefully someone else will chime in with the correct procedure for the formatting part of this.

Stipo360 likes this.
  3. RAPTOR115X

RAPTOR115X Rapidly Rising Member

I was half asleep when writing the previous post so excuse me, to clarify, the HDD in the XDK's sidecar is toast (The unit came to me like this, so the contents is lost unless i can get it to a data recovery company.), so I'm wondering if i can grab a HDD from an official Xbox 360's (Retail) HDD Caddy and use that, the reason i ask before pulling the trigger is i know a normal retail Xbox 360 will not accept a standard 2.5" SATA HDD if you fit it, but an RGH'd unit will, so I'm under the same impression that an XDK will not accept an off the shelf 2.5" HDD, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I upgraded my old XDK's Sidecar HDD to be 500gb and it took it fine. Had to format it since it wasn't a correctly formatted one but iirc it took fine. Getting it out of the sidecar was by no means trivial but it worked out in the end.

Looking back I probably should have charged extra for that when I sold it but I decided it was too much work to put the original back in.

5. james2452

james2452 X360

One of my consoles hdd was making the console RROD . Give it a poke with something through the sidecar ,turn it on and it worked....

6. TheNew

TheNew RIP

ooor it could be just a bad sidecar...

7. tempsorryhadtopost

tempsorryhadtopost Stupid dumb Idiot

You’re absolutely good to use a retail hard drive (both from a 360, or another 2.5”)from another console. If it’s a pharmacy console you can still plug the entire unit into the top as under the sidecar you still have the proprietary HDD input. You’ll have to remove the sidecar to do this.

If you want to keep the sidecar and replace the HDD inside that then just dismantle the sidecar, and carefully follow some of the tutorials posted here or elsewhere to do the swap.

The console will power on with no HDD attached, when you power on the console after doing either of the methods just format the device to xfat(under settings>storage) on the dashboard and you’ll be good to rock.

begallegal1, Traace and XboxSurgeon like this.
  8. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013