XBOX power supply help

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by davidthomas, Jan 6, 2014.

1. davidthomas

davidthomas Site Supporter 2013,2014

I have a trusty 1.4ghz board with the RAM upgrade. It is a version 1.1 and I need to install a new power supply. What is the best power supply for the XBOX? I have a few different types to choose from. I want to the best for that board! I have a bunch more to look though later to see if I have anymore different ones.

They are this order in the pics Delta, Foxlink, and Minebea

The Minbea Electronics UK LTD I have never seen before and it seems to be built different then the rest. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

Also should I use the official GFI power cord? Or the regular power cable with no GFI? Pros and cons?

1.0power supply.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I'd say find the "coolest" running one, as I've noticed the bottom of the hard drive carriers show heat damage on some consoles. Are all 3 of those AT connectors for v1.0/1.1?

3. davidthomas

Yes they are all AT connectors for the 1.0/1.1

4. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Avoid Foxlink PSUs.

5. davidthomas

What do you think about the Minebea? Is that a official PSU? This is the only 2nd one I have had.

Also which is the manufacturer that the socket for the power cord seems to get loose and short out? I have had a few over the years that buzz and smoke from a short circuit from that loose socket. I just did not note which one it was.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

According to shops that repaired XBOX systems, Minebea were the most wanted PSUs. Unofficial PSUs were not branded iirc.

Probably Foxlink.

7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Yep, the Foxlink power supplies are awful. I had to fix my solder joints multiple times on it, such a crappy thing.

8. davidthomas

You are correct it is the foxlink. I looked for the one I still had that burnt. This one was so bad even after I solder it again it would not stop shorting. The other 2 manufacturers secure the power connector to the board. That foxlink is not secured at all! That is such a bad design! I am leaning on using the Minebea now. It has a fuses right next to the power connector. Also according to HEX1GON they are the choice of the repair shops.

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I repair my Foxlink once, but a few weeks later it started buzzing at me... They are horrible, reason why many people's XBOX systems caught fire :p

10. davidthomas

I just looked at Foxlink from a 1.2-1.5 and they fixed the problem with the power connector. It is riveted down to the board now like the delta 1.0/1.1 PSU

Syclopse likes this.
  11. Leang

Leang king solomon's Angkor Temple

if anyone know how to upgrade the 1.6 PSU, let us know. my modchip is installed and I have the electronic components but not sure how to solder it(PSU) and add more volts.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  12. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

What are you asking to do? Doesn't make any sense. More volts? why?

Probably not the PSU of the 1.6 requiring modification but the LPC debug port rebuilt to restore functionality for modchip use.

IIRC, Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip you are installing.

Attached Files:

13. Leang

the xbox power supply output when i plug the ac cable in the back of the xbox. i want to upgrade it by adding more watt(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt)

14. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

Again, why? watts wrong with the watts now. watt needs more whats --opps -- what needs more watts?

15. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

The wattage rating of a power supply is normally the maximum a supply can generate. It's possible that it doesn't need all it's watts. If you overload it, it will work unstable or simply go defective after a short period of time. The 1.6 (b) xbox mobo uses a different type of power supply. You can't exchange it with the supply of a 1.2 - 1.4 xbox. The connectors are the same, but the output voltages are not. The 1.6 (b) power supply was a total redesign. It's not just 1 component they changed.

16. Leang

i have skills in electrical. how can i prove that check this video i am still going to resolder the 1.6 power supply and add some electronic components to increase voltage and watts.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

No offense, but I wouldn't consider that skills in electronics.

If you increase voltages, you will damage the xbox. I don't think you fully understand what you are asking.