Xbox One XDK Activation

Discussion in 'Xbox One Development (One,One X)' started by deep3r, Apr 21, 2016.

1. deep3r

deep3r Fiery Member

Hi All,

I wondered what happens to an Xbox One XDK after activation expires? I'm sure there are a few here with friends with kits that are expired.

Does anyone have friends with Xbox One XDKs that have expired? Let me know if you can still use it!

Thanks!

2. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013

You have to have the most updated firmware to connect to Xbox Manager (this generation Xbox Neighborhood). You have to have Devkit activated on the kit and have to have the update files on your computer. its a super pain in the arse but with retail Devkit activation there isn't really much point.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    deep3r likes this.
  3. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

well retail dev is severely limited to what resources you can use. You can't make a full blown high quality game. isn't it restricted to 1gb of ram or something like that. and a few other stipulations?

4. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013

True but most of the "xdk" floating around are the beta kits which are retail hardware with the dev kernel running is all. I'm sure its different on a true xdk. I only have a beta DDK.

5. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

ahh its too early to be dealing with current gen dev kits damn it XD.

6. XeDK

XeDK -___-

If not Activation you got you're self a nice XDK shell and a full on beautiful retail:)

sarx and XboxSurgeon like this.
  7. PermaNulled

PermaNulled Rising Member

There is someone with a expired activation one, and it's pretty much paper weight without the activation....

Even worse even if you have legit access to activate consoles or such you can't activate one you didn't buy on your specific account.

8. storm132

storm132 Site Supporter 2016

Damn,

Those PNet leakers sure pissed off M$ :L

Funny how both companies (Sony + M$) use a similar method to keep their development kits secure and out of prying hands. I'd love to own an Xbone devkit eventually, but looking at the state of M$'s security I don't think there's much point. Hopefully someone can bypass that activation block so that us collectors can tinker around with one of those kits ;)

9. PermaNulled

PermaNulled Rising Member

Bypassing it isn't really going to happen unless they manage to exploit the thing, M$ has covered a lot of different angles on this one.

PS4 on the other hand, no one has had issues getting around activation that knows what they're doing.

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Now if only we could do the same for the Vita. But without a kernel exploit there's no chance.

As for Xbone, they really stepped things up after the 360 (and with fair reason if you ask me).

CodeAsm and storm132 like this.
  11. Errorjack

Errorjack Gears of War Collector

I wouldn't say it is a paper weight. If you disable devmode, you still got yourself a unique case Xbox One that still plays games.

12. Be4stElectrjc

Be4stElectrjc Member

Do Beta XDK and Retail in Dev Mode have same OS?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  13. wanszai

wanszai Member

As well as the dev kit certificates, there is also a MS Internal Certificate that never expires.

kebob likes this.