Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Syclopse, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rising Member

I'm gonna parrot Digital Foundry on this one. The HDD is still one of the most costly components in the system. Memory requirements keep going up, but the cost of the technology is not keeping pace. To keep the total cost of the console down they have to use a standard HDD.

2. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Still, implementing caching* to a separate, not necessarily overly large SSD might be nice. Maybe even make it optional, so users can make do without, provide their own drive, or go for the bigger model with a factory-preinstalled one for a small premium.

* And I do mean caching. Managing multiple disks, and thus having to decide wether to install to HDD or SSD, or moving stuff around all the time is bullshit.

3. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

I concur with your concurring. A 1TB ssd drive is the same price as the entire system lol. Also developers have been getting around the slow hdd speeds by keeping games barely compressed, which is why freakin' call of duty and battlefield is like 100gb installed with all dlc. Ridiculous.

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I moved close to 1.5 TB to an external hard drive and it just seemed to take forever, hurry up and wait I guess.

5. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

1.5tb is a ton of data lol

6. Syclopse

Syclopse .

All games, the Xbox One S in the gaming room is a 2TB, almost filled and the One X will arrive in under a month. So I won't have to spend the day downloading my games, I'll just plug in the 4TB external drive and game on.

7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I technically have roughly 4.25TB on my PC without my external 1.5 TB. Some of us are just data hogs haha.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

These days, I wouldnt even consider that a data hog. My laptop has 1.5tb of ssd storage and 2tb spinning. 6tb in my nas, 4tb external on my xbox.

I remember wondering what I could possibly ever fill a 2GB drive with when I upgraded from 200mb.

Getta Robo likes this.
  9. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

It's not our fault; things that used to take up a smaller amount of space now take up X times as much. I mean, Super Mario 64 is 8mbs. MP3s used to be 4mb (albeit poor quality). Although you would know/have more experience with this than I.

10. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Want to save all your videos/movies in 1080p? How about .flac rips of your CD collection? We're all spoiled, I mean who would want to go back to 480p content and 128kbps MP3s now that we've experienced them?

I recently had to increase my "Media" drive from 1.5TB to 4 TB, because it was chalk full..and that was only videos, music/games had to get moved to another drive. Now music/videos are rightfully on "Media", games have their own 1.5TB Drive, and a 5TB external backup for redundancy. It's just the way things go, for a data hoarder =P

I won't even tell you about my Dudes drive situation.. I know he's got at least 20TB in just his externals...he takes data hoarding to the next level!

11. rso

Oh, are we comparing storage space e-peens now? My latest NAS build holds 64TB (48 usable due to redundancy), plus the previous one is still in use also. Drives are cheap enough to not bother too much with housekeeping.

Now if only it were possible to use all that centralized, easily-expanded storage from all devices, but noooo, consoles have to insist on dedicated, device-keyed drives. meh.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  12. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

No, I don't think we were bragging about our epic and exciting storage situations, but more stating that storage space is of concern today and a hard disk based drive is still best suitable for a game console to keep costs down. 1TB is no longer a reasonable amount of space for media centric devices.

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Yes, I think you had missed the point. It wasn't bragging, it's just that basic levels of storage is in the multiple tb these days.

14. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rising Member

Mario 64 had a small amount of flat textured polygons running in 240p with synthesized music. If you expect your games to have 4K in-game assets, expect them to take a next gen amount of space.

15. rso

Audio/Video encoding has progressed a lot, mostly due to improved CPU performance. Compare one of today's H.265 videos to a MPEG- or DivX-movie of the same size, or MP3 to an OPUS file. You get a lot more bang (quality) for your buck (bytes), or could fit the same quality in less space.
    I'm wondering why we're not seeing too much comparable progress in the textures department? Sure, you won't fit the latest Doom into the original's 2MB, but maybe on a single DVD?

Also, nothing wrong with synthesized music, if you use a good synth at least. Case in point. And textures could be generated on the fly, too (see .kkrieger, or other "werkkzeug"-based demos), though I admit it'd be a lot of work to do so if you're using a lot of individual ones.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 8:17 AM
  16. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

I hope that both these "enhanced" systems fail. I don't like the precedent they are looking to set in trying to get you to buy a new console at half the systems lifespan. I guarantee that if this becomes the norm that sometime down the line we'll be hearing stories of "so and so company was originally going to add this, that, and those to its new console but decided to take them out so they could add them to the mid-life console".

rso likes this.
  17. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

That's one way to see it. I don't see it as a bad thing. A PC is a evolving platform, being "enhanced" by components upgrade, so it seems logical for consoles to follow the same idea. The Wii U is a "enhanced" console, I loved it. Playing Wii games on the gamepad was a great idea. I just wished the same thing with the Playstation, I hate it that I can't play my PS3 games on my PS4.

If they expect a longer lifespan of a platform longer than the PS3/X360, then "enhanced" systems will be the way to go.

18. Neo-Alec

Neo-Alec Rising Member

I love synth music like Lunar SSS and Panzer Dragoon 2. My only point was the data size.

The textures aren't similarly compressed due to speed constraints. Those assets need to be able to stream quickly from the hard drive while keeping CPU cycles free for rendering.