Xbox one kiosk unit

Discussion in 'Xbox One Development (One,One X)' started by Roc6d, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

Is it possible to revert a xbox one kiosk unit to play regular games? Also can regular xbox one units read kiosk discs?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. MobCat

MobCat Test and sort ALL THE THINGS! ^__^/

Plz don't. But if its anything like the ps3 and ps4 kiosk unit you can just update of the xbox to the standard retail firmware but really if you just want to play retail games on it you can unlock the kiosk unit(if you have the key) and take the kiosk xbox out and put a retail xbox in there is has the same hook up.... Well there exactly the same xbox just with different firmware.
    Just outta curiosity how much of the kiosk unit do you have, I thought the xbox one was a little to new for things like that to be escaping into the wild.

3. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Last I checked a kiosk units are just retail, they have a USB drive that locks them into a kiosk mode so if you remove it then it reverts.
    Yes the disc should work on retail.
    (so does the USB drive BTW)

afaik at least.

MobCat likes this.
  4. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

I just want the console only if it different like firmware and function wise.If its nothing special then i wont bother espically since the demo discs and usb work on regular xbox one units too

5. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

So its to better that i dont try to revert the unit?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  6. MobCat

MobCat Test and sort ALL THE THINGS! ^__^/

Well if it's just a USB stick holding it back like fate6 said then just remove the USB stick and it should act like a normal xbox then...
    As for reverting the unit, it's only a problem for older xbox wear people soft mod them or chip them and reck the console in the process.
    As for this generation of consoles I only have experience with PlayStation, wear sony sends the department store the stand, TV, controllers mounted to stick, ect and a USB stick and you just use a off the shelf PlayStation and update it's firmware with the kiosk firmware for the USB stick that's why I wanted to know how much of the kiosk unit you had, if you just have the xbox then it's most likely a off the shelf retail xbox and reverting it back to the retail firmware is probably fine but again I have no experience with this generation of xbox kiosk units.

A interesting check would be to look on the bottom of the xbox at the sticker the one that has the SN if it just sais "Xbox one console" then it's most likely a retail xbox with different firmware so reverting it shouldn't be a problem but if it sais something abort a kiosk unit or kit then I would just leave it alone and use another xbox if you don't want to play kiosk demos :p. As for reverting the firmware if that is a thing I have no idea how to do that I know on PlayStashion you have to unlock the console with a parental lock code but yeah I have no idea how to do this on a xbox... I don't even know if the kiosk firmware if that is a thing is public for the xbox one so trying to dump the contents of the USB stick might be a good idea.

7. Dark Neo

Dark Neo Robust Member

Have anyone photos about a kiosk unit?

8. XeDK

XeDK -___-

I have one of those consoles, It's just a retail with a sticker that says Xbox One Diplay Unit not for resale. Something along those lines and @fate6 is correct at first they used disc like on the Xbox 360 but they use a USB now nothing special.

Segafreaknz, MobCat and fate6 like this.
  9. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

Interesting. I've been dumping Xbox One kiosk discs lately and would love to image that USB drive if anyone has it for future preservation/ emulation efforts of the kiosk discs.

10. fate6

Its just an NTFS formatted drive with a single large file which iirc is the kiosk firmware that gets loaded on boot.
    The file has been archived but i don't think its ever been made public.

11. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

Can you clarify this? Who has a copy of it archived other than Microsoft?

12. Sopris

Sopris Member

The large file on the USB (Which is a XVD) isn't the firmware, its nothing special at all. All that is inside is the videos and pictures the kiosk unit plays. The console has no special firmware, the presence of that XVD on the usb triggers the kiosk mode on startup, there is no permanent change to the console.

You can create an empty file with the exact same name on a USB, plug it into your retail xbox, reboot, and your console will enter kiosk mode. Remove the usb and restart and it will turn back into a normal retail. So if you want the kiosk console to become a "normal" retail, just remove the usb and reboot. I can't remember the file name off the top of my head, but I can try to find it again if anyone is interested.

coggy9 likes this.
  13. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

I'm interested. I'm also interested in an image of the actual kiosk USB if anyone has it. Thanks for the details.

14. fate6

its name is "MSXB_Kiosk", it doesn't have any extension, have fun!

15. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

Cool but i'd like an actual img of the USB itself if it's "archived" -> "All that is inside is the videos and pictures the kiosk unit plays."

16. code1038

code1038 Robust Member

i have document from gamestop. i will post it later

17. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

I got a kiosk kit that has its own custom design from xbox interactive now while it has a bunch of stickers its just a retail kit with a fancy design.

18. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

Do you have the USB stick and can image it?

19. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

Usb is somewhere but there is nothing really on it thats important and the kiosk disks are somewhere aswell. The unit is next to me but thats about it which is the only cool unique thing as its has its own custom designs and stickers.

20. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

Someone mentioned product photos on the usb stick. If it's not too much trouble would love an image of it.