Xbox One Dev/Debug Board

Discussion in 'Xbox One Development (One,One X)' started by awwsnapwet, Nov 13, 2017.

1. awwsnapwet

awwsnapwet Newly Registered

Does anyone have any idea what this can do? Or if it has any value for someone who would want to bugger with Xbone? (I assume it is for debugging)

https://imgur.com/a/Xyc8j

2. awwsnapwet

3. darkspire17

darkspire17 well here it is, Super Mario 64 ~ Violet berlin

thought any Current gen stuff was banned

4. awwsnapwet

Whoops, I accidentally put the X in the title. Anyways ill remove this if its not allowed :)

5. ddxcb

ddxcb Gota J.T.A.G. That Xbone Yo.

possible SPI tool for flashing nand and the other stuff.

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

From the look of it, it's a combined JTAG/SPI/Serial adapter board. The photo is too blurred to be sure, but I assume that 64 pin LQFP in the center left of the board is a FT2232H, which can handle all those protocols (along with I2C and output of arbitrary data). If that is the case, then what it does is entirely up to the host software on the PC it's connected to.

The displays at the bottom of the board presumably show the POST codes.

It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I'm quite sure that Microsoft will have inhibited the ability to do anything very useful via the JTAG port on retail xbox ones.

Stipo360 likes this.
  8. awwsnapwet

So basically I would have to find someone online to sell me an Xbox One prototype console that has the jtag cable in/on it to do anything cool?

9. stoker25

stoker25 github.com/emoose

The headers should be there on the final hardware, just probably not populated. You could attach some pins to hook it up but like TriMesh said it's probably locked out on anything not dev-activated.

I've only ever seen the header+cable for that board on some pics I saw of an internal kit, no idea if normal devkits have the pins populated too. I've also only ever seen the board itself in a single pic, posted by an MS employee no less, I'm not much of a collector though so I couldn't really say how rare it is.

On the PC side you'd need software + drivers for it too, early prototype kits (Zebra kits) have an LCD display + USB-B on the mobo which I figured worked the same as this box, and earlyish SDKs contain the drivers for that USB-B (not sure if later SDKs also have it), so I always guessed those drivers should work for this box too.

For software the only thing I've seen that actually uses it is the xbrecovery.exe in early SDKs (which just copies recovery files to the NAND). It uses the dsmcdll.dll to communicate with it, which also looks like it can do a lot more though, I'd guess it's mostly meant for MS internal stuff.

I did manage to write a tool that can use it to dump the NAND (eg. so you can dump a Zebra NAND through the USB-B), only tested that with a friends Zebra though so no idea if it'd work with that board too. Never got around to releasing it since it needs that DLL from the SDK though.

kebob and XeDK like this.
  10. TriMesh

On the Xbox one I got (first week they were on sale), the pads were still there on the board, but the header wasn't installed - it also had pads for the cold and warm boot switches, but they weren't installed either. I think it's safe to assume that no retails have them, and probable that even the final spec devkits don'r, since the developers aren't supposed to open them.

11. XeDK

XeDK -___-

No retails have them but the pads are there, I also think that those ports weren't put on final spec kits that went out to developers. The only thing that got them were prototype/internal kits.

12. stoker25

stoker25 github.com/emoose

@TriMesh @XeDK any idea if the slim/X also have the same pads? I'd guess they would so they could keep using the same debug-board.

Also I wonder how much activity still goes through them on non-dev-activated units, pretty sure I'd heard that NAND connections go straight through those pads so you could possibly still r/w NAND with it, can't remember where I heard that though.. but IIRC the T-X nand dump method does also use one of the pads to stop SMC from booting.

Should probably try tracing them sometime, speaking of tracing I did want to try tracing my friends Zebra to try finding out everything the USB-B/LED section connects to (not sure if there's any pics online but they pretty much have everything on OPs board built straight into the mobo, pretty neat. I'll have to try asking him to post his pics on here some time), never got around to that though, hopefully now with OPs board in the wild someone can figure out what all those pads are for.

edit: also found that MS pic I mentioned before, was posted in a Quora comment IIRC: https://i.imgur.com/mXXyyzU.jpg
    Like I said earlier that was the only time I'd ever seen a pic of one, as you can tell it's not much of a pic though (if you squint you can kinda make out the LEDs :p) many thanks to awwsnapwet for their much, much better photos :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  13. XeDK

XeDK -___-

That they do
    Here is a scan of the top side of the Scorpio ports are on top left corner.
    http://imgur.com/GLGQ2zJ

Here is video of a prototype Scorpio teardown.

Here is the ghetto way to read the nand lol
    http://www.sthetix.info/tutorial/xbox-one/tutorial-dump-nand-xbox-one

14. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Also forgot I had this picture saved not my kit
    [​IMG]

15. TriMesh

16. wanszai

wanszai Member

ooo look where that could connect to!

stoker25 likes this.
  17. XeDK

XeDK -___-

So?

18. wanszai

wanszai Member

Posting pictures of what OPs board connects to, seeing as none had been posted.

i dont get the so.

19. XeDK

XeDK -___-

http://imgur.com/GLGQ2zJ
    Top left corner but yours work as well.