Xbox OG: Best version for widescreen hacks?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by demilich, Sep 14, 2017.

1. demilich

demilich Active Member

I'm looking into getting an original xbox to play games that don't support widescreen mode and be able to run them in widescreen with codes in ActionReplay, etc.
    Here is en example of hex codes for some Xbox games to run in widescreen mode. http://ps2wide.net/xbox.html
    Can I run these codes with Action Replay or Gameshark? Maybe use Omniconvert to change from hex to Action Replay?
    For example I've been able to run games on other systems in widescreen mode that never supported it. -PS2: with Codebreaker 9.2 or ps2rdmod.elf -Dreamcast: Codebreaker -Gamecube: Swiss

Do I need to softmod first?
    Any ideas where I can get started or what is the best version of the Xbox to do this with? I'm ideally wanting to use Action Replay, or Gameshark if they ever existed with for the Xbox. Maybe run Codebreaker from the xbox hd if it exists, then enter the code and run the original game disc?

Thanks

2. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

TSOP moded with RAM upgraded 128mb 1.0-1.5 revisions. Maybe 1.4Ghz CPU will add some FPS, don't have that kind.

3. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

No.

If widescreen is your only must-have, you can just use whatever.

TSOP, chip or softmod is mostly for running unsigned code (i.e. backups) and bigger HDD support.
    CPU upgrade is for extra speed (only for some programs, and needs patching a lot of the time I think) or more bugs (in others; e.g. speed is off).
    More RAM is beneficial mostly to some homebrew apps (mame, xbmc), and some Chihiro games require it as well. Most retail games wont use it.
    If you want VGA out, you'd want a v1.5 or earlier (actually the important bit is the encoder, but youll have to look into that yourself).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    SILENT_Pavel likes this.
  4. demilich

demilich Active Member

Yea my only goal is to get an Xbox original and be able to run games that didn't support widescreen, run in widescreen with hopefully Action Replay or Gameshark codes.
    Has anybody ran these codes with Action Replay, Gameshark or some sort of cheat engine to run widescreen codes with actual game discs?
    http://ps2wide.net/xbox.html

5. rso

I don't see any reason why your way shouldn't work, provided you get the necessary codes converted to whatever format your cheat device expects. Still, you'll probably be pretty much on your own, since most people will use a cheat/trainer engine built into their dash (evox, xbmc, ...) and run the games off the HDD. Getting those eggsboxes modded is pretty much a no-brainer.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

You could patch and burn ISOs, if load times don't bother you. A softmod by itself enables DVD-R. (no HDD upgrade necessary)

1.6 has issues with 480p in some games. Though PAL systems I've heard never officially supported the high resolution modes regardless.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  7. demilich

demilich Active Member

I guess I just need to figure out if I can use OmniConvert to convert the hex codes from the ps2wide website to use with Action Replay or Gameshark.

@rso I'm completely new to the Xbox original modding. I use to have an xbox back in the day but recently wanting to get back into it. You mentioned a cheat/trainer engine built into their dash (evox or xbmc)? I'm guessing this is some sort of loaded interface on your harddrive to auto load cheats to games already in the harddrive? Can this cheat/trainer engine be used on original discs running of the dvd drive?
    Whats the best way to achieve this? I'm guessing its considered a soft mod?

Thanks

8. rso

> I'm guessing this is some sort of loaded interface on your harddrive to auto load cheats
    it's not automatic. xbmc gives you a menu to pick which cheats (from the corresponding trainer file) you want to enable for an xbe, and under the hood, it creates a patched copy of that file and runs that instead. other dashes probably do the same.

> Can this cheat/trainer engine be used on original discs running of the dvd drive?
    because you actually create and run a second xbe, I don't think these trainer engines are gonna work on read-only media. haven't tried it though.

> Whats the best way to achieve this? I'm guessing its considered a soft mod?
    you need some way of running unsigned code, both for running the cheat engine/dash as well as the resulting patched file. there's ample amounts of info on the available options, one of which is a softmod, available in other threads.

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Dauntless Member

Yeah you are going to want this program. There was never an official Action Replay or Gameshark for Xbox. Codebreaker not sure but don't think so.

http://bmkeyscom.ipage.com/marvelousmirth/ogxhd.html

You will need some trial and error, and if running on a stock hardware system, you will not have as good of a time on an upgraded CPU and ram expanded system.

But that is the noob friendly way to get games running in widescreen, or in many cases HD resolution as well. Make sure you get the proper HD cables too.

10. demilich

demilich Active Member

Damn this is awesome, I tried looking for a while but never found anything about widescreen for og xbox. Do I still need to softmod my xbox to load OGXHD? If so can I use my original game discs?

Thanks!

Anthony817 likes this.
  11. rso

OGXHD is just another way to generate patched (for cheats, or widescreen, whatever, doesn't matter) XBEs, so yes, you still need a way to run unsigned code.

What does this do then? Honest question - I never had/tried one. Is it just for managing savegames, or what?

Anthony817 likes this.
  12. Anthony817

Yeah, hacked saves so I guess kind of but you would have to download or use a premade save I believe. It uses USB to connect to your PC and allow the hacking of saves. Remember those things called Dex Drives? Shame concept.

https://www.amazon.com/Interact-Dex...1505999700&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Psx+dexdrive

Yeah, unfortunately since there was no official AR or GS cheat device for Xbox, there was no way to run memory based hacks on stock systems. Hacked saves are a bit different from hacked code sitting in memory. Saves can be easily hacked with hex editors, so people would have had no real issue making edited saves.

But yes, you are going to want to mod your system or buy a premodded one. Softmodding is a prertty fun thing to do if that is your type of thing. I modded mine and threw in a larger hdd I had sitting in my spare PC parts bin and it worked perfectly. Might be more than you want to do yourself, so there is always option to buy from others.

13. demilich

demilich Active Member

14. Anthony817

No, you can still make hacked ISO's by editing the XBE, and rebuilding said ISO, then burning to play on physical media on the Xbox. But the system has to be softmodded to boot it in the first place.

And that is correct, that is the same type of thing you linked, as one end is USB for connecting to a PC to hack saves. Hacked saves are done on stock Xbox 360's all the time via usb stick and editing on a PC or downloading premade saves off of Modio, so it is nothing particularly too special. I used to do it all the time with Skyrim, and people would mod the game adding all new buildings in existing areas with assets already available in the game. So you could do quite a lot with it.

15. demilich

demilich Active Member

@ Anthony817
    What I meant with physical discs are the original discs, not burned, to be used with OGXHD.
    Is that possible?
    Thanks again!

16. rso

Negatory. You need a way to put the patched xbe alongside the game's files, because of the way the dasboards launch them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  17. BimboBoop

BimboBoop Rising Member

WHat about using trainers that will enable those Hex codes?