xbox just stopt

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by scroeffie, Jun 24, 2018.

1. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

was playing battle city after couple of min xbox froze
    i tried to reboot nothing flashing red green and no image !
    xbox is not over heating mohterboard was made by n64 freak and has always worked perfect he also did the bios flashing etc only thing i did was install bigger hdd like 3 or 4 years ago and sins that has always worked perfect ,dvd drive does not want to open spins for couple of sec than shuts down !
    tried another hdd nothing another ide to sata nothing another ide cable nothing ! no image
    dont see any busted caps board looks fine i have no other mods exept the n64freak did 1ghz cpu and mem upgrade
    so any info on what is going on thanks :)

tried my sata to ide adapter in another modded xbox with modchip and it works perfect !
    so its not the adapter ,my personal xbox is a tsop made by n64freak

tried my 2tb hdd in the xbox with the modchip works perfect so its not the hdd or the sata to ide adapter ! so its the bios/ram/psu caps !?!?

psu is making a little bit of noise dont know if this is normal

first 2 times of starting up shutting down its flashing orange green !

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

orange is what you get when there is no video cable inserted. Maybe your video cable is making bad contact. You could try to unplug and replug it a couple of times. Flashing Red and Green (fragging) without any display means that the motherboard isn't starting up. The smc microcontroller chip tries to reset the system a couple of times and finally gives up. It basically can be anything from a bad power supply to some components. I assume the 1 farad clock capacitor has been removed or replaced? It's known to start leaking and it's contents are corrosive eating away the surrounding pcb traces. The power supply making a little (buzzing) noise is not something you should be worried about. If it's a sparking noise, it can be the power inlet solderings that became loose. In such case, they need to be resoldered. It's something you can inspect visually.

3. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

oke i changed a psu for a working one stil nothing no image ! flashing red green

4. steocullen91

steocullen91 Rising Member

This happened a v1.0 of mine and I had originally thought that we short circuited it during the softmod which turned out not to be the case. We tried using a heatgun but there was no dice. I'm assuming the RAM was the problem on that board though it's better to try one thing at a time starting with the PSU. You'll know if it's bad solder on a BGA chip because the console will work sometimes temporarily depending on the heat of it.

EDIT: Is it the same even with the DVD drive and everything unplugged?

5. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

yess nothing changed ! tried with out dvd drive and hdd ,tried with dvd drive with out hdd ,tried with both connected the dvd drive makes like a spinning sound that it makes a sound like its shutting its self down like off ! tried difrent kind of cables n
    tried my person hdd in a modded chip xbox works perfect tried the sata to ide in the chip xbox works perfect
    tried anothe 1.1 psu that works in this 1ghz board nothing no video nothing pressing on anything nothing
    inspecting the board looks fine to me like i said i bought the board from n64 freak and he knows what he is doing ! he did the 1ghz and ram upgrade not me :)
    tried the motherboard outside the plastic case nothing ,motherboard is dust and dirt free

xbox froze playing a game than i did reboot nothing flashing red green no image

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  6. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

took the xbox out of the case again put it back in its working now wtf
    but the xbmx menu is missing a tab !
    programs ,videos,music,pictures,files nothing scripts settings
    using the xbox classic skin using the standaart skin is fine

7. steocullen91

I'm wondering was there a short somewhere in the case then. Maybe the metal chassis would do it? Hopefully that's all it was. I don't have the upgraded Xbox myself. I'd like to but if I tried I'd probably fail and then have to buy another Xbox :D

scroeffie likes this.
  8. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

dont know all the screws are secure and the metal shielding is clean wierd !

9. steocullen91

I've had stuff like this happen me multiple times and I couldn't make sense of it. I think something must have just been over tightened somewhere causing a short. At least it works now though :)

10. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

The picture of that hynix ram chip suprises me a little. I have always been under the impression that those hynix were only used in 1.6b motherboards and had different timings compared to samsung ram chips. They say you shouldn't mix the 2. So, either your mobo is using all hynix chips (strange for a 1.1 board) or the assumptions are wrong. Maybe N64 can explain it?

Armorant likes this.
  11. Traace

Traace Rapidly Rising Member

There are no fixed timings for Samsung chips.

Michael Steil from Xbox Linux Project:
    "RAM Initialization | Decrypting flash memory contents into RAM is a challenge if we are living inside the first few hundred bytes of code after the machine has started up: At this point, RAM might not be stable yet. The reason for this is that Microsoft bought cheap RAM chips; they just took everything Samsung could give them to lower the price, even faulty ones, i.e. chips that will be unstable when clocked at the highest frequencies specified. The Xbox is supposed to find out the highest clock speed the RAM chips can go and run them at this frequency - this is the reason why some games don't
    run as smoothly on some Xboxes as on others. So the startup code in the secret ROM has to do a memory test, and if it fails, clock down the RAM, do another memory test, and if it fails again, clock down again, and so on, until the test succeeds or the RAM cannot be clocked down any further."

Read the full story: 17 Mistakes Microsoft Made in the Xbox Security System PDF: https://mega.nz/#!X8pTkQiJ!CbMsZh04OCoG5ELlcOZ4VtHekATK6fza2Xh8rOAGc6c

-----

One time a Xbox arrived, the led was just green, but no picture nor sound. I cleaned the av port, still nothing. At the end the av port had some cold solder joints, reballing solved it.

12. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Don't know why it did that. Also got a console that does the same sometimes. If you turn it on it sometimes just frags.
    Still need to figure out why it does that. Maybe it's the caps drying out or just some strange things.

Yes, it's possible to do a 128mb ram upgrade with hynix ram. This seems like one off the few boards i did that had 128mb hynix ram.
    They work exactly as good as the samsung ram and don't have any drawback.

Glad the console works again :)

@steocullen91 If you want a 1ghz+128mb upgraded console let me know. I can build one for you!

bowser22, Syclopse and steocullen91 like this.