Xbox DVT3/DVT4 Identification and fix

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by phate, May 27, 2010.

1. phate

phate Enthusiastic Member

Xbox DVT3/DVT4 ident and fix

So I got really luck and picked up a white Xbox dev kit at my local Goodwill-style thift store (Deseret Industries if you must know) for $12. And I've got some questions:

Is this a DVT3 or a DVT4? It does seem to have a plastic jewel which would indicate a DVT4 however the bottom says that its a Prototype and was made in Aug '01 which if I understand correctly would make it a DVT3.

It also looks like someone has taken it a part and pulled the DVD drive, and completely unhooked the 2 daughterboards and removed them from the case (they were still with the Xbox but they where just bouncing around inside. On that note do I need to hook them back up to the mobo for the dev kit to work properly? Are the two daughterboards even needed any more?

I tried booting it up with the daughterboards disconnected and a donor DVD drive from a Xbox with a dead power supply. It booted past the flubber animation but stops and gives me an Error 16 service screen. As I understand it error 16 is the dashboard clock needing to be set but it can't boot the dashboard to set it. Any idea on how to fix this?

Is there a way to dump the HD and see whats on it with out having to have it boot up to the XDK Dash?

For kicks here are some images I've taken of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

You have a DVT4 and yes you need the daughterboards connected for the controllers to work.

And nice score:thumbsup:

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. phate

Sweet a DVT4.

Also I guess I should clarify, by daughterboards I meant these:

[​IMG]

4. lucas93

lucas93 Spirited Member

Damn, $12! Lucky!

5. Pikkon

Well one is a serial port used for kernel debugging,the other is for DVD emulation.
    But to answer your question they don't need to be connected for the DVT4 to work.

6. KuKzz

KuKzz Spirited Member

Take a pic of MCPX chip (under the dvd-rom). You cant really verify if its dvt3 or dvt4 based on case alone...I have dvt3 with same case as this one.

7. Pikkon

The reason I said it was a DVT4 was the last two dev kits I had both said August 2001 on the bottom of the case.But yes the best way is to look at the MCPX chip.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. phate

I can't take a picture of it at them moment but the chip reads MCPX X2.

9. Pikkon

Confirmed DVT4,also is the kit still showing error 16.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  10. phate

It in deed still is showing the error 16. Any idea on how to fix it?

11. KuKzz

KuKzz Spirited Member

Just run latest recovery dvd ?

12. phate

Two problems with that:

1) I want to know if there is anything on the HD first, that way I can possibly save it before it gets lost for good.

2) I don't have a recovery DVD on hand and I haven't the slightest idea on where to get one.

13. kholdfuzion

kholdfuzion I kill consoles

If its a dvt4 the hard drive should not be locked, you should be able to put it into a pc and use the hard drive extraction tools found on http://www.xbox-scene.com. If those show the HDD as being empty and you have good reason to suspect there is something interesting on the drive, use DD under linux to dump it. From that dump, either I or other users with intimate knowledge of the xbox1 can help you extract some of the files.

14. phate

So I dug through the HD and came up with bupkis. Only thing on it was someones CD library that they had copied over, and it took the whole of the drive. If there was anything on it before that was put on it, its gone now. It also looks like someone tried to use a softmod exploit and put EvoX on it.

Anywho, I know I need a recovery disc to get it working again, anyone know where I can find one? I've heard that they are basically ISOs that you could have downloaded but I can't find anything anywhere.

15. lucas93

lucas93 Spirited Member

I believe the XDK 5933 torrent has a file called XDKRecovery5933External.exe (or something similar to that). That might be a place to start.

I also bought a RtCW review disc from DreamTR which is labeled 'RtCW + Recovery 5344' (not sure if it's on there, I haven't had the time to test it out just yet).

16. phate

I finally got a hold of a recovery disc and loaded it up. Box is working like a charm now.

Thanks all!