Xbox CPU and RAM Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by N64 freak, Oct 8, 2008.

1. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Hi,
    I think this is the correct section for this, or? If not Mods Please move or delete :nod:.

My Plan is Replacing the original Xbox Processor against a P3s Tualatin with 1,48Ghz ;-)
    and the ram upgrading to 128mb (or Possibly more :confused:).
    I have the technically needed stuff to remove the cpu and get in an socket or another
    Prozessor in there. I just need to know if i have to change anything else that the Xbox
    works with the new Prozessor. And if there are any adaptors for converting a Socket 370 Prozessor
    to use in an Socket 495 socket, so i can use the 370pin P3 tualatin in my xbox?
    And to the ram Part, are there any possibilities to use more as 128mb of ram?
    (Dumb question, I know. But i would like to get an clear answer :thumbsup:)
    Or is there a source where i could get new ram chips for the xbox?

I hope somebody here nows the answer or at least somebody with an Dreamx-1480 could help out, that i don't have to test around with the stuff.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
    SILENT_Pavel likes this.
  2. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

replacing the CPU? I m no expert but I d say fat chance.

As for the RAM, there is a manner of expanding it to 128MB but never seen more.

3. lwizardl

lwizardl Living The Dream

well it is possible to upgrade the CPU on the original xbox but they max out at 1.4GHz which is very nice for the xbox console since it was originally only a 733Mhz. here is a link to a place that sells the upgraded xbox consoles.

But remember I have not purchased anything from these guys I just did a search about this a couple months ago and found them.

http://www.gamestron.com/enhancedxbox.html

4. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

It's been done. I'm not really sure why anyone would bother, but there you go.

5. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

I am thinking of upgrading my 1.0 xbox to 128mb ram. The process is not to bad, you just need plenty of flux and a new soldering wick.
    There is a very good video on youtube, sorry no link as I am at work.

With more memory some emulators like FBAXX, MAME and N64 should work better.

The proecssor on the other hand is much harder, the pro done ones have a switch to get "compatibility" 733mhz.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  6. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

it's mainly for xbox linux distros and for xbox media center i guess.

7. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

A faster processor will help with XBMC when running high quality video formats.
    On the whole the xbox is a great console, and dosnt need much tampering with.

8. Dano2k0

Dano2k0 Mad on XBOX

Ive had a good bit of experience with both upgrades, the processor upgrade i went with a GHZ chip, the process is complicated and no NONE of the processors ive ever seen would make a direct replacement, some trace rework is required to the motherboard.

The easiest way is to have a custom type adapter and solder directly to the motherboard, and the CPU soldered straight onto this, depending on exact processor type of course.

RAM is maxed at 128MB, no means of going any higher than this. I from time to time do sell the 4 chips i remove from other boards to people wanting to attempt the upgrade, but be warned you must have decent soldering skills or your upgrade will never happen, you'd more than likely kill your board in the process.

Ideally a rework station is what you'd need, though something like a small wattage soldering iron, ie 10-12watts with a fine tip is ideal, plenty of flux and desolder braid and with a few hours time you'd probably get it working alright if your skills are reasonable and your patient and set plenty of time aside.

How exactlly did you plan to remove the CPU and better yet, what means do you have to re-ball the motherboard? Not meaning to be putting you down, but alot of people underestimate exactlly what this involves.

The Dream-X 1400mhz box didn't ever run 733mhz, the switch cut half the FSB if i remember correctly or was it emulated some how, without having a look at my notes on the stuff i can't remember off the top of my head exactlly how it worked, but any realistic terms, it clocked in at 740mhz, and wasn't genuinely processing properly at 740mhz, hence the reason playing games on this machine was indeed so bad.

Another guy whos in China has done a good few 1GHZ upgraded boards, there is no step down and they run 1GHZ all the time, a patch has been wrote that enable the majority of games to run correctly on these systems however, so in my opinion has better games support than the Dream-X machine.

Oh also, watch out for the link above, i know someone who about a year ago orded one from that site, they never charged him, but never responded to anything he sent, we assume the company no longer trades, though i don't understand why their site is still up.

Here are a couple of pictures i did while doing my experiments, please excuse the blurry-ness to the photos. Also, please note that some of the crap you see on the board is indeed flux.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this info has been of use.

Cheers.

9. problemchild

problemchild Member

Gamestron doesn't sell Dreamx anymore, I have called and talked to them recently they quit selling them awhile ago. That site is pretty much dead and hasn't seen an update in years.

10. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

I'm interested how do you exactly get a BGA chip off the board and then put another one on ?

11. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Hi TmEE,
    I get the cpu from the motherboard with the help of an JBC hot air station, or with the rework station ;-).
    With the hot air station the processor should be dead after removing, i think.
    But as my plan is using a new Processor that shouldn't be the problem.
    Then after cleaning the pads on the motherboard of the xbox, a socket 495 socket will get it's place on there. In this socket i would like to place an adapter socket for an socket360 in which i would place a 1,48ghz tualatin.

My problem is just i haven't found such an adaptersocket like the one used in a dreamx. So i most likely will just be able to place an 1ghz socket 495 Processor in there.

If it works i will probably have 1 or 2 of the boards more as i need, so they will probably get sold in the marketplace ;-).

But for now i first have to find out what i have to do at all, and it would be good to get as many information together as possible.

@Dano2k
    From what i can see, you already did what i want to do. And thanks for all the information you gave to me. And you said something of a neede trace rework, what excactly do i have to rework.

PS: The ram chips i wouldn't solder in by hand, i would get them to the board with a profesionell reflowing system :110:. And the reworking station is a brand new model which works with infrared :thumbsup:.

PS2: With this equip i could repair 360's, too. But before i go too big steps i start with such an project. And when this project gets finished and works i probably start to repair 360 :rolleyes:

12. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

Any non destructive solutions ? Would heating the board upside down beneath the CPU work ? The electrolytic caps they love to put where BGA chips are would die, but all other parts should be fairly heat tolerant...
    I've not messed with BGA stuff before...

13. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

First off all: Sorry for gravedigging!

But after about 5 years i totally forgot about my plans to upgrade the CPU to a 1ghz one.
    I performed a few Ram upgrades lately and got asked if i could upgrade the CPU.
    As my memories about the Upgrade came back to me i quickly thought about trying it again.
    I started studdying the datasheets provided by intel and anything i could find on the Web.
    The most help needed is provided by the intel Datasheets and the pictures Dano2k0 posted few posts above mine.

And here's the result:

screenshot001.jpg

Think i can count this as a full success!

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Got anymore info about the modifications required?

I have a BGA rework station and while I dont have time to do this in the near future (much like yourself), I do intend to give it a go at some point.

15. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Well before i tell everyone how i exactly did it i would like to give it a stress test and check if everything is okay with my technique.

But as a short instruction:
    -Take a suitable 1ghz CPU (From my research: SL53s and SL5TF should both work, mine is a SL53s)
    -Remove the old CPU
    -Set the CPU mode pins corresponding to the Datasheet (Had to be done under the cpu on my v1.1)
    -Install the new CPU

16. Matts

Matts Newly Registered

Hi N64 Freak,

Great work on the mod, I don't have the skill or equipment to do this mod myself so I got a shop with a rework station to remove the cpu and fit a 1ghz SL53s for me, unfortunately I can't get it to run full speed it runs at around 930mhz most of the time. I was told this maybe due to intels speedstep technology.

I had a look at the datasheets for the cpu I don't really understand it, but seems like I need to supply the GHI# ball with 1.5v to bypass the speed step perhaps?? Would be great if you could let me know so I can get my one to run at 1ghz?

Thank you

The data sheets I can't understand:

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab190/matts37/questionpic1_zpsaa6db92d.png

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab190/matts37/questionpic2_zps7ffd8c94.png

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab190/matts37/questionpic3_zpsddb1c3c8.png

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab190/matts37/questionpic4_zps11162796.png

17. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Awesome upgrade man, if your sure it works, please share the info for other to try aswell or just historic reference :D

18. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

I have a 1.1 in China right now getting worked over by Trusty. Mine will have the 128MB RAM mod and the 1.4Ghz Tualatin CPU upgrade done. From the pictures I saw somewhere on the net I saw that he uses a special adapter of some sort. First off the old BGA CPU is removed and a socket adapter for the mobile CPU is BGA soldered in. Then a special adapter of some sort converts that mobile socket over to the 370 format the Tualatin CPU uses. I'm sure the adapter has the reworked traces to allow the CPU to run full speed. I'll check it out with XBMC once I get it back to see what the CPU runs at. I'll even take some pictures of the adapters and such.

19. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Sometimes I have to wonder what you're reading to get information like this.

20. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

I just guessed at it based on what I know of the Pentium 3 and Intel's Speed Step technology. Then there is this posted by N64 freak above.

Then there are the pictures I saw in this thread over on XBMC4XBOX: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17

I did just now notice what looks like a wire on the bottom of the Xbox PCB so I could be wrong about the adapter. Am I?