Xbox achievement points for unreleased games.

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Buyatari, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

I'm curious if anyone here has achievement points for unreleased titles tied to their Xbox user name.

Is this something you would be banned for or does no one care.

2. Zant

Zant Active Member

The thread below discusses the topic. In this thread, "CaptainSpanner" stated that the achievement list is the last element added before releasing the game, but I am not positive (edit:Borman clarified this below, the achievements are actually added in early in development). Good question though, seeing prerelease achievements and earning points for it would be really interesting. edit:rewording

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178205

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I have 2 achievements for Metalocalypse. Totally worth showing it off to fans of the show (like my cousin that lost his shit).

It's a strange thought I suppose... I don't think you'd be banned but who knows.

4. deep3r

deep3r Fiery Member

If you mean never taken to retail, you would either have to obtain the achievements on a modified retail or XDK. Then if you were to take your profile on XBL, I highly doubt you wouldn't get banned. The game ID and achievements wouldn't be in the library known to microsoft, or known to be on a retail LIVE console giving you a big red flag.

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

This is similar to having SpaceWar on Steam in your achievements.

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Some homebrew added achievements to your profile (a snes emulator). But they didnt sync with microsoft (as its not in their database), so if you redownloaded your profile it would vanish.

I suppose someone should test - get an achievement and see if it shows up on xbox.com

7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Not necessarily true in the slightest. Not to say that the achievements dont change at times close to release, but some games have achievements implemented really early.

8. Zant

Zant Active Member

Interesting, maybe some early achievements could lead to early features of the game that were removed.

9. Borman

It does happen :p

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Can you elaborate on this one a little? I know I can google this but I want to hear a user's side of it first.

11. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

It's a dummy game that developers use. However pirates use it to play Steam games online with purchased players or just allow Steam features to be used in a pirated version of a game.
    Some would just add it to their Steam library for the sake of having by sideloading the install through Steam browser. So many people get scared Valve will suspend them for having Space War achievements on their profile. However it's quite difficult to determine if the app was sideloaded or a pirated game was using it's Steam App ID.

PixelButts likes this.
  12. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

Just as interesting.
    If you play a beta version and get some achievements does this count as a different game or do they mix with the retail version. If they do mix then could one potentially get 1200 out of 1000 on a title.

13. Borman

A lot will have a different ID or be incompatible with each other, so they tend to show up separately. Cant say Ive tried a whole lot of retail + prototypes though.

14. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Basically every Xbox 360 build has achievements implenmented, most of the time they are placeholders. I even came across a build with an auto unlock achievement "x" option. Of course we're talking about debug games, which will not boot on a retail kit and thus will not show up on a retail gamer card.

15. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Robust Member

You risk getting your gamerscore reset for profile /achievement tampering, worst case scenario is you get profile banned. It's happened to people years ago for having homebrew / unreleased game achievements on their profile.