[Xbox]: 8164 Firmware Flasher

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by blueshogun96, May 20, 2011.

1. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Okay, I understand that this is already out there and I wouldn't be surprised if you guys already had it, but ever since the official site died off, this firmware has been a pain in the ass to obtain these days. Because of that, I thought I'd post it here.

Just in case some of you might not know what this is or what it does, it's a special firmware for the LG 8164 DVD Rom drive that allows you to use it as an Xbox DVD drive, in your PC or your Xbox. For the PC, you just install the drive, click the program, and restart. Easy. Then by using a program like MagicISO, you can read the contents of your Xbox DVD in your PC. Keep in mind that even with this flashed drive, you can't open up windows explorer and expect to read the disc's files normally. For use in the XBox, not only do you take the steps above, but you'll need to install a special adapter (requires soldering) so that it's compatible with the Xbox. Makes a great replacement drive and is up to 8 times faster then the original Xbox DVD drives.

I personally used this in my desktop PC for years and it worked great (only I couldn't dump Blood Wake (NTSC) with it).

Sorry if this post is a bit redundant, just thought I could be helpful to those who don't have modded or debug Xboxes to dump their disc contents.

Shogun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

You can get them for $6 if you wait for used ones.

4. Annoying_one

Annoying_one Peppy Member

ok how is the adapter made?

5. blueshogun96

Not sure how it's "made", but I did spot a site that still sells these. I should have saved that link. Unfortunately, $30 bucks might not be cheap for some people. The original was about 20-something.

6. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

7. Annoying_one

Annoying_one Peppy Member

ill research it as it cant be more the 2 bucks in parts its seems.

8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

9. blueshogun96

True, but most people wouldn't know where those soldering points would be located. The adapter saves us the trouble, but it's not an option if you can't find one, I guess.