Xbox 360 XNA sidecar dismantling question...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by oldengineer, Feb 6, 2018.

1. oldengineer

oldengineer Familiar Face

Has anyone taken an XNA sidecar apart, or know the following......

The very thin top on the XNA sidecar (which normal sidecars dont have), looks like it's clipped on.

You can see the clips through the vent holes on one side, but you cant get to the ones on the 'blank' side......Does anyone know if popping the clips 'open' on one side is enough to pop the top off, or must both sides be done, OR are the tops glued on, thus trying to pop the clips is a waste of time, lol.

XboxSurgeon and TheNew like this.
  2. XeDK

XeDK -___-

I have but didn't take pictures @Stipo360 Has as well and has pictures somewhere.

Edit: From what I remember it's just the same as a regular xdk sidecar.

Stipo360 and oldengineer like this.
  3. oldengineer

Thank you for your reply, that's what I'm trying to confirm....I'm not wanting to remove the sidecar, just the top from the sidecar....Regular sidecars don't have a separate top, as they are all in one.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Stipo360 likes this.
  4. Stipo360

Stipo360 "That Dead Rising Guy"

That top partition is very difficult to remove without snapping the clips, as like you mentioned, the side without the vent holes makes it near impossible to see what you're doing. i'd suggest opening the console the old fashioned way to get to the sidecar.

oldengineer likes this.
  5. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

I didn't have much trouble taking the top off :/

in fact I had tons more issues getting the rest of it out since one of the clips on the front was being a pain, Just be real faken easy with it and it should come out fine after you get one clip out, the bigger problem is the metal inside of it which won't let you get the boards out to access the HDD if thats what you're after.

Needed to bend them a little :(

oldengineer likes this.
  6. oldengineer

Thanks fate6, so you reckon it's possible just to remove the top purely by popping the clips via the side vent holes?

7. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Don't recall if you can even see them from the vent side, I just slid in a tiny flat head at the top which was enough to pop one of the clips off which then gave me enough room to remove the rest.

Granted it did leave a tiny little mark where it went in but I shoved a bad SB image on the HDD so it was either this or a brick :/

oldengineer likes this.
  8. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Would be best to use a plastic screwdriver or something similar to avoid any marks.

Sucks the tabs are so easy to break.

oldengineer likes this.
  9. james2452

james2452 X360

I just did this today it was very easy . If anyone wants to do it message me. I beats taking the console apart. 2 min max to have the hard drive removed.

oldengineer likes this.
  10. oldengineer

Yeah, been meaning to update this post.....I too, did this a few weeks back...I used a plastic letter opener to slide in between the gap, and hey presto, no marks, no damage and straight into the sidecar....within minutes!

james2452 likes this.
  11. james2452

james2452 X360

Its a bit tight getting the hard drive out on its board. I found a hard back note pad and wedged the gap open with it.