Xbox 360 unbrick help

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by ASSEMbler, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I bought a 360 off ebay off some noob who tried to flash
    a 079fl without a passkey.

As a result, the drive is bricked. I got another drive in the
    deal, it seems he bought one off ebay and tried to use that one.

The drives both work when I switch around the boards.

Can a bricked Hitachi 0079FL be unbricked with infectus
    or any other means?

I wanted a cheap HDMI xbox.

Symptoms are:

With "bad" dvd board in the drive - cannot eject unknown if it powers on or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Evangelion

Evangelion Spirited Member

The main problem with XBOX 360 is the link between motherboard and DVD drive.

If you don"t have the DVD-key, you can not use the 360.

You can unbrick the bad drive by dumping the Flash ROM with adequate hardware, you need to remove epoxy and desolder the chip. Willem programmer could dump the SST flash.

After that you will have to check if the SST rom contains the DVDKey. If the SST flash is fully corrupted (FFFFFFF...) you cannot get the key and you cannot use your 360.

Actually we can't get the DVD key from the Nand, because the Nand is encrypted with a CPU Key.

3. ASSEMbler

Looks like the drive is just dead. I'll probably spend the few bucks and see if anyone can dump it.

I have a pal who doesn't have much cash and I wanted to fix it and give it to him.

4. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Sorry to go OT here, but that is very nice of you to try to hook up your buddy with a 360 for free. Wish i had friends like you, all my buddies ( with an exception or 2) are assholes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  5. ASSEMbler

Money is nothing, friends are everything.

6. EazyB

EazyB Rapidly Rising Member

If only more people thought like that :clap:

7. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Isnt that the truth.

8. yosaito

yosaito Member

The patching tools for the hitachi drives dont touch the box key thats held in the firmware so if you dump the SST chip on the PCB you should be able to retrieve the key quite trivially, how are you soldering skills?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  9. Dark Seraph91

Dark Seraph91 Enthusiastic Member

As long as he didnt try to write to the firmware and succeed then the firmware should still be intact on the drives board.

Remove the epoxy on the Chip and Connect the passkey and you should be able to get the key. Or Use a programmer and get it manually.

Hitachi 79FLs are a bitch to be honest, but theyve become easier to flash.

10. Krypton_VII

Krypton_VII Peppy Member

So? It's easy to decrypt.

11. Evangelion

Evangelion Spirited Member

Do you know a way to get the cpu key directly from the encrypted nand ?

12. ConsoleFun

ConsoleFun Gutsy Member

There is no way to do that I believe, and even with a working DVD drive it would probably not be possible to downgrade a HDMI box to vulnerable kernel.

I also believe that the only hope is to dump the NAND flash in the DVD drive and see if the unique drive key is in there. It is easy to spot in a hex dump. Personally I would use an Infectus to dump the drive's NAND rather than to desolder it and use an external programmer, but both ways would work. I have also used a Globe v2 chip (same vendor as Infectus) to dump and repair a Hitachi drive that was bricked. Software flashing tools only patch the flash, so I believe there is a chance that the drive key is intact, if that block wasn't patched.

Just my 10 cents..

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  13. ASSEMbler

So the infectus is self powered, yes? I assume so since it's done with the drive out of the 360 and I've not seen any 12v lines in the pics.

I'll just buy an infectus and try it myself. Can't you just build this thing yourself?

Shit infectus is expensive as hell...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  14. ConsoleFun

ConsoleFun Gutsy Member

Yes, it gets 5V from the drive as long as the 360 is powered on.

It costs more than a simple modchip, but I find it reasonable compared to most others NAND programmers.

I did find the Hitachi installation a little bit complicated, since I had some problems with the "quicksolder". I would use thin AWG32 kynar wire myself, and have some flex and a desoldering braid ready, in case you get solder between the NANDs legs.

15. ASSEMbler

Some store will read the key off the dead drive or $30. I think I'll do this as the aim isn't to play backups anyway.

16. WIIMODDER

WIIMODDER Guest

I have a chip to recover some "dead" hitachi drives. It works giving the drive other way to be detected by the computer, then you can read the firm. It is installed like a 79passkey. I have installed lots of 79passkey, if you want you can send me just the board of the drive, and ill try to take the firmware. Using willem is more difficult, have you seen the epoxy that covers the chip? is very difficult to clean at it all, but not impossible.

17. ASSEMbler

This dead board has no epoxy. What's the hardware you're using?

18. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

Did you ever get this fixed? if not i may be able to help you out ,my launch console (Xenon board for you tech guys) has had many fits and tantrums over the years.... 4 cases of Rrod all different causes, dvd drive spasm's (auto eject during gameplay) and many other aches and pains that i have managed to pin down and fix.

So if anyone can help its me :thumbsup: hit me up with a pm

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  19. modspain

modspain Member

my experience

Hi, its very difficult to recover a bricked hitachi drive. I have some facts of your problem

1 All 79 boards have epoxy, then, yours is not 79 or epoxy have been removed.
    2 there is a chip, i thought "chilli" or something like that , it give to some bricked drives the posibility of be recognized by the pc.
    3 79 pass key will not work.

I bought a willem, but i never have used it, if you send me the board and the instructions to recover the data with the willem ill do for you, i want to learn!!

Please if u need some help please pm

20. ASSEMbler

I parted it out and made more money than I paid for it.