XBOX 360 Slim power issue

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Sloth, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Sloth

Sloth Active Member

Hello all!

I bought a faulty XBOX 360 Slim on eBay with the described fault being it had no power at all even when plugged into a known good adapter.

To cut a long story short, after investigating numerous possible causes and fixes I came across the suggestion that removing a capacitor on the RF module might fix the issue. I have highlighted the component in question below.

Sure enough, after desoldering that capacitor, the 360 powers on and seems to function perfectly.

Thing is, Microsoft presumably included that component for a reason so I'm a little uncomfortable leaving it removed. Does anyone know what purpose it serves or what value capacitor I should replace it with?

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Worst case your RF detonates itself during a storm. No Biggy. :confused:

Sloth likes this.
  3. Sloth

Sloth Active Member

Is that all it's there for? To protect the board from a power surge?

4. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

No. But apparently that capacitor shorted and something else therefore decides to disable the PSU entirely. You can verify by measuring resistance over both sides of the capacitor. I expect you'll see no resistance at all indicating it short circuits the power rail over which it was soldered.
    Cleanest fix would be to figure out capacitance value and voltage rating for the cap you removed and replace it with that.

Sloth likes this.
  5. Metro Spy

Metro Spy <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Thanks for posting this. It inspired me to do it myself (not having heard of this fix)

Unfortunately it didn't work and my 360 is still without power. I'd been given it by a friend, who's dog had bit through the power supply allegedly so there may be bigger issues!