Xbox 360: 12v intake fan mod.

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by johnace, Jun 23, 2009.

1. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

After my xbox rrod on me i did quite a extreme thing to revive it (see oven baked 360 mmmmmmm) and after a few weeks of play with the case off i thought it was time to fully reassemble the old girl, but i was still wary of how hot it gets in the case during a heavy session of GoW2 online (what originally killed it xD)...so i thought it best to get some cool air coming into the case from somewhere..ok on to the mod!!!

I took a old small pc case fan and wired it to the 12v point marked with the red wire, and grounded it on the memory card shield
    [​IMG]
    And here is where i attached the fan..not very well done but whos gonna see it?...ah...the whole interweb is gonna see now doh! :banghead:
    [​IMG]
    Dont praise me for the artistic use of my drill...it was done entirely at random rofl
    [​IMG]
    And the final product of my random hacking and drilling :110:
    [​IMG]
    The only problem i can see from this mod is that the fan is always going at full speed and as such the noise could irritate some, but with this mod in place the rear fans never have to speed up like they used to so the noise is the same as usual in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I've encountered a few RRODs that, once fixed, don't speed the fans up when the console heats up. I'm betting MS was cheap and used a thermistor that can easily be fried. Haven't been able to find it yet but I'm sure it's replaceable.

3. KIWIDOGGIE

KIWIDOGGIE Peppy Member

Nice mod, Theres nothing normally ontop of my xbox so if I get a budget xenon ill be sure to do this :)

4. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

I like the hole pattern, I bet from afar it looks like you gave it a sweet tattoo.

I've recently acquired my brother's old 360, that I have x-clampped (well, removed) and reflown the solder (twice). I felt like getting a 360 and told him with the ammount of work I'd put into his, and the fact that I was starting to get attached to it... I had to have that one or none at all. L:D
    So, I ask - are there any cooling additions that people can recommend? I doubt I'm quite ready to do something like this mod, but also don't really want to turn it into a leaf-blower with one of those external additional fans. Do any aftermarket cases help, or other things like that? Anyone recommend cutting out some of the metal cheesegrater behind the fans? I think there's one more tier of thermal compound I can try (ceramic?) but regardless, I need to get this thing as cool as possible without going deaf.

Here's a good question: I assume the later-model GPU heatsinks with the additional pipe and stuff will fit on an early model just fine?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

From pictures i've seen the newer heatsinks should fit fine.

I've had to fine tune my intake fan idea because of unforseen problems the main one being that its sucking air in directly in front of the cpu heatsink,
    that in itself wouldnt be a problem if the temp sensor wasn't under the cpu...and the temp sensor controls the speed of the extraction fans soooooo....the sensor is always cool which in turn keeps the rear fans at the slowest possible speed which lets the gpu cook DOH!!

So i've had to make the rear fan always on 12v too.

6. drakon

drakon Gutsy Member

Hope it works. Before I picked up a cps2 everyone was complaining about the fan noise....I don't think it's so bad

7. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

The CPS2 fan is the worst thing I have ever seen anywhere. 1st place. :rolleyes:

8. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Bummer! It's good information to keep in mind, though. I suppose you can't really just put it on the other side as the DVD drive is there. Maybe build a simple little cardboard duct to redirect the airflow a bit?

I'm wondering if I can just slap a small fan on the side of the case, the GPU side (well, the bottom of the XBOX, which wouldn't be a problem considering I won't have it set up vertically that I know of)...

How large is the fan you used? I have plenty of old-as-hell cpu fans but I fear they might even be so small that they're not really adding much air in comparison to how much the back fans are already sucking out. I suppose anything would help.

9. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Oh and a bit of info you all should take note of:

I have heard of RRODs caused by this mod when you source the 12v from the wrong location. Wrong meaning the mosfets that power the GPU, apparently the PSU wasn't designed for this (shocker) and doesn't like it.

I cannot say what is a "safe" place to take it from aside from maybe the solder pads where the plug goes into the mobo. Then again the intercooler did this too and we all know how that turned out. Difference being the intercooler was a second set of fans on top of what was already in the system. This simply might just be a small additional drain rather than a large one.

10. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

The rear fans havent been modified like normal 12v mods...i just bypassed the mosfet for them so its always on full speed ( its under the fan socket on the bottom of the board) the small intake fan however is running from a mosfet under the dvd drive...i might have to re-locate that at some point but i've never heard of a short comming from a fan on the 12v rail....i have heard of lots of led's that are wired to the 5v mosfets causing problems on the other hand.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  11. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

Hmmm. I wonder if maybe putting a 120mm fan would be just fine?

Another thing to keep in mind is amperage draw. You might overwork that mosfet and cause it to go bad which can then cause your system to simply die.

I'd hunt down a decent 12v AC adapter with decent amp output. (not too much though - no more than 1.5amps)

12. bob

bob Robust Member

nice mod