Xbox 1 SDK on 64-bit Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by gabe_k, Dec 24, 2012.

1. gabe_k

gabe_k Rising Member

Hi all, quick Xbox 1 SDK question here. I'm wanting to do some messing around with the Xbox 1 SDK, and I remember it not really working on Windows 7. Seems like the only way to get it to play nice is with Windows XP. I'd rather not install the 32-bit version of XP as I have 32 GB of RAM in my PC and would like to be able to take advantage of more than 4 GB of that, so I was just wondering if the Xbox 1 SDK worked well with 64-bit Windows XP. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

you would probably be better off installing xp 32bit just as your sdk partition and then a seperate install of windows 7 on another partition as your main os

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Not even VS 2003 will even use all your 32GB of RAM. No point fooling around with settings to get it working, install VMWare and create a 32-bit XP install with all the tools needed. There no need to create partitions and what not.

4. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

What synrgy87 said. For XBOX development, 4gb should be (more than) sufficient, and for day-to-day use I wouldn't stick with XP anyways. XP-64 had really bad support for pretty much everything, imo it's easier to just assume nothing works and then go and find the exceptions, than the other way around...

A VM might work, but personally I've had enough problems with them to try and use "on-the-metal" installations for all but the most simple setups.

5. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

Grab a cheap drive and install XP 32 on it.
    That way you can bang and crash around and you won't have to worry about any actual data.

6. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Don't really worry about the nay sayers here, because I doubt anyone here ever tried...

Go ahead and use WinXP 64-bit. It works fine for me using this OS. I've done Xbox1 XDK dev on my older PC running XP 64 for years and never had any problems with it, no not once. It will take a bit more effort to get Xbox Neighbourhood working, but it's not a difficult fix either. I never tried it in Win7, but it worked when I had Vista too, just had a few annoying issues with it (couldn't upload too many files at once, and had to right click -> Open each folder in Xbox Neightbourhood to get to the subfolders).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

A clean Win7 isn't friendly to the neighborhood thingy, but I remember reading something about it somewhere. never tried it again, now working on a XP for dedicated Dev. Good luck ;) and please post your experiences.