Xbox 1.4ghz Upgrade -> Finally done!

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by N64 freak, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

Nice work N64 freak! Hopefully the test will run successfully.... Looking forward to upgrade one of my :)

2. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

So the speed-switch curcuit works fine. At least the cpu usage while a DVD playback drops drastically when switching to 700mhz. Any recommendations for which game is suitable to test it out best?

3. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Conker Live and Reloaded - Audio is out of sync, gameplay seems unaffected.

Darkwatch - Video judders, gameplay seems unaffected.

That's 2 games I had issues with using one of your 1GHz boards.
    (Patching the XBE did not fix these issues)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Friendtech always said, if you want one of our systems for playing games and playing on Xbox Live get the 733 Bravo or 733 Lite.

The Friendtech DreamX 1480 is best used as a media server or dedicated game server. Because of audio / game issues with the upgraded 1400 CPU.

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Patches fix most things, but yeah, it's to be expected

6. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Finally found the time to install the 128mb of Ram and get everything tested.
    I used Mame to test the console with Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and primal Rage as these games are not playable with 733mhz.
    On the maximum power mode they work very good and are playable now and on the low power mode they are off course still unplayable.

Now it's only the heatsink i need to add to have them finished.

Gangst3r and Getta Robo like this.
  7. fxmech

fxmech Active Member

The friendtech heatsink looks simple enough. How big of a run to get these heatsinks produced at reasonable cost?

8. dark ricardo

dark ricardo Active Member

Congratulations N64 freak you do a excellent work replicating the cpu pcb,how dificult was to made the cpu pcb? and how much is the diference in terms of peformance like in the midway games ultimate mk3,wwf wrestlemania and n64-ps1 games?

9. jjona5

jjona5 Spirited Member

How much do you think this mod is going to run? I'm interested

10. mrgreedy98

mrgreedy98 Active Member

how many layer is the pcb and is there any buried via's ?
    Trusty's board is 4 layer.

The problem I have had with my trusty box if you drop it or bump it the adaptor dislodges I have never had a over heating problem but yes the heat sink is not the best of design it is a bit like the Reliant Robin (a bit unstable).

You have the same problem as trusty where the adaptor covers the cpu mounting hole and the processor is off centre to the four holes but I can understand why it makes alignment so much easier.

11. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Well my install won't have the problem off the adapter slipping out off the socket as it's directly mounted.
    And moving the adapter is not possible as it's glued to the board. Should be as safe as the original CPU.
    The performance is about double that off a retail 733mhz console. First i need to have a matching heatsink i can take as a reference and until i have that i can't get them produced or even get a qhuote for them.
    The Upgrade will run to around 220$. Depending on the Heatsink price. I did an estimate what i think might be the price.
    For the 220$ it would include the board itself, the 128mb off Ram and if wanted the complete case and retail HDD and DVD drive.

Gangst3r, Rocky5 and Patrick like this.
  12. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Do you have any plans to sell the board as a DIY kit? If yes, do you have an estimate price?
    It's great to see another person releasing it, well done!

13. jairisongs

jairisongs Member

Great job !

14. r32crazy

r32crazy Member

Awesome, good work! Hopefully you can push it to 1480mhz like a genuine FriendTech version.

15. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

Is there really any demand for this as a DIY kit? I can't imagine there are that many OG Xbox modders out there that are equipped to rework a doubled sided BGA adapter on to the motherboard.

16. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

I almost think he means DIY in the way of it being a bare board with no heat sink and no other parts. Provide your own case, DVD drive, hdd, heat sink etc..

Getta Robo and Syclopse like this.
  17. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

I have access to a rework station, including knowing people with the knowledge to perform the mod. Sending my xbox to N64 freak will be a killer for me, as it's going to cost literally a small fortune.

18. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Just so everyone knows i won't offer to do the upgrade on consoles you would have to ship to me.
    I will only do the upgrades on consoles i have here and sell them. A DIY kit won't be off much use to the most people here so i won't offer one.
    The only diy kit i could offer would be a bare motherboard without a heatsink so you could built something yourself!

ToxicMedz and Getta Robo like this.
  19. tkeely4777

tkeely4777 Rapidly Rising Member

I am absolutely interested in one of these if you decide to start producing orders!

PM Sent. I am prepared to purchase immediately!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  20. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh jizzz

fxmech likes this.