Xbox 1.4ghz Upgrade -> Finally done!

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by N64 freak, Feb 6, 2016.

1. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

So after doing the 1ghz upgrade for a while i started working on the 1.4ghz upgrade.
    As this one needs a speciall adapter pcb that's not available to buy i needed to design it myself.
    Well after about 2 years off studying photos, datasheets and luckily some help off a DreamX owner i was able to finish the Design. And i was lucky that it worked with the first batch off pcbs!

As you may see the design is almost exactly the same as the DreamX design as i tried to copy that as close as possible as a starting point. Routing the inner layers was a bit off work but it worked out fine!
    Haven't tested the speed-switch curcuit i implemented on there. It uses the same components and curcuit as on the Dream-X so i hope it works out off the box!

-> For anyone interested in a 1.4ghz upgraded board. This is only a test setup and is not for sale.
    I will end up offering these consoles once i tested the speed switch function and found a suitable cooling solution. I might also offer them without a heatsink for anyone who wants to build one thereself.

Without a lot off talking some photos off my prototype:
    As you can see i didn't use a socket as trusty or Friendtech did but i soldered it directly to the board to save on space and connection errors and maybe even a bit better heat dissipation to the board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nigelp12345

nigelp12345 N163LPH03N1X

Wow N64 Freak Decent buddy! Give me a buzz on the progress Great work dude!!!

3. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Nice work!

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Very nice, I like the added N64 on the PCB too. Let us know if you sell these along with the 128MB upgrade as a package.
    I believe Friendtech did 1480Mhz so when they switched it back down they were at 740Mhz to be closer to the original 733Mhz.

5. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Added the N64 to be able to tell my board apart from the DreamX (Well there adapter is blue!) and a trusty board.
    Trusty seems to have done the same as his adapter board looks almost like mine and the DreamX adapter. The last 80mhz will be added over time. The adapter has nothing to do with the clock speed in the end. To reduce the speed the STPclk signal is asserted for half off the actual working time. So the cpu is simply halted for half off the time but still works at 1400/1480mhz in the end.

I'm working at getting the last 80mhz pushed out and will hopefully have a real DreamX here to poke at the real hardware and find the last differences.

Well i'm definitely offering them bundled with the 128mb Ram upgrade but for now i'm not going to accept any orders.
    I have a few already and will get there consoles ready first as part off the agreement and there help!

6. Strogen

Strogen Spirited Member

What are the benefits to having the cpu upgrade? I really like the concept.

7. ddxcb

ddxcb Gota J.T.A.G. That Xbone Yo.

Faster processing power.

TerdFerguson likes this.
  8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Other than "just because" not a lot. You could argue emulation is easier on an xbox as 4 controller ports and decent TV cabinet form factor. Back in the day it was better as gave xbmc more power. But these days it's all HD, which the xbox can't handle even with the upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  9. dan.h

dan.h Active Member

That looks awesome! Great to see some great development is still being done on the original xbox

10. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

Dude!! Can't believe you got it working first try! Would love to have one of these in my collection when you're ready for sales!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    turfster and Syclopse like this.
  11. Kappa

Kappa Peppy Member

Don't suppose chihiro games run any better with the cpu upgrade do they ?

12. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I know Id be interested if you come up with a better cooling solution than trusty. That is his biggest downside, the heatsink is awful.

13. dans87

dans87 Site Supporter 2013,14,15

out if interest , what about it do you not like?

14. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

It doesnt make good contact, it isn't secured well. I know it has to be big, but it is really, really difficult to keep it at somewhat safe temperatures.

15. fxmech

fxmech Active Member

Congratulations N64. I am excited to pair one of these with the 1ghz board you shipped me last year.

Cooling issues... Has anyone tried putting an old Iceberq 4 GPU cooler on their 1.4? I hear they can be relatively easily mounted (without the adapter board) in the Xbox.

I hope we can get a more standardized, reliable cooling solution than a Trusty - style hand-made approach.

16. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Got an idea for the heatsink!
    Will hopefully have a real DreamX here in a few weeks to repair. Once it's opened up i will take the heatsink out and visit a local company that hopefully can reproduce them.
    Never heared about that the DreamX has heat problems so that hopefully solves my heatsink problem.

ToxicMedz and Borman like this.
  17. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

We do because of the journey to the destination.

Well done. I hope you used lead base solder to avoid issues.

Are you using xrays to check the connections?

19. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

I sadly don't have access to an x-ray machine! I can only use visual inspection to check the connections.
    But as i use leaded solder and i know the machinery pretty good visual inspection is enough.
    Tried different solder compounds a while back and leaded solder definitely works the best!

20. foxbox

foxbox Rapidly Rising Member

I use a case fan. But it's in a slim, so it fits.. It works well.