Xbox 1.0 flash chip failure

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by fdm, Dec 3, 2018.

1. fdm

fdm Newly Registered

A few years ago, I was preparing to upgrade my Xbox's ram by flashing IND Bios 5003 which supports both the ram and virtual cdrom patcher by xman. After a successful flash, I rebooted and was presented with an Xbox that would turn on with fan spin and shut down immediately. I assumed it was a bad flash and could do nothing about it at the time, so I set it aside.

Coming back to it now with better tools, I removed the HYUNDAI tsop from the board and onto a breakout so I could flash it with a TL866II Plus programmer. It's software said that around half the pins were not connected correctly. Confident in my soldering, I ordered a new chip, programmed it (IND 5003 x 4), and installed it into my Xbox. Now it the Xbox reboots three times and frags. I then pulled the chip off, verified it again in the programmer, and reinstalled. It still frags.

Pulling D0 low and booting from LPC does work fine. I also did do the ram upgrade finally (using like chips from china as the sammy chips pulled from 1.6 Xbox just fragged). My best guess is that the failed chip damaged the [southbridge?], but was hoping someone here might have hints as to what I might try to get it working again.

IMG_20181201_200519.jpg IMG_20181201_201810.jpg IMG_20181201_200650.jpg

dark ricardo likes this.
  2. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

Did you solder the tsop to the breakout? It's hard to see. If not, it's very well possible that some pins didn't connect properly.
    Did you check your soldering with a microscope? It's easy to make a short between 2 pins and hard to see without proper magnification.
    Are you sure the bios you are trying to use works with a tsop flash?
    Some have bit 0 = 0 on their first byte so that they only work with a modchip.

There exist a special modchip bios that allows to flash the tsop, even when booted from a modchip. Maybe consider trying that method to reflash the tsop chip, as I doubt the pcb will survive a lot of flash manipulations, even with the proper tools.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Should have just got a tsop48 socket...

4. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I have some some xbox(s) with dead DVD drives so the motherboards are working, not too familiar with Xbox so as long as it's a 1.0 revision it should be swappable? If you want me to send it to you if I can find the correct one.

Conexant video chip with ST chip (no case for serial number, not sure what else to check)
    Conexant video chip with Winbond chip (no case for serial number) have HDD with it, think I flashed iND BIOS to it already, just not worth repairing the drives)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. fdm

fdm Newly Registered

Yes it is soldered directly for programming, tested via multimeter for connection and shorts. The programmer also tests the pins. I don't own a microscope yet, I use cheap magnifying glasses that can do up to x25 to check my work.

I used iND-BiOS.5003.67.bin, it's first bit is 0x09, should be tsop flashable afaict.

I wanted to try this early on, but it uses part of the tsop bios to boot, so it only works with a few bios. Lucky I didn't waste my time though, as the tsop chip had failed. I did buy and flash a 27C020 eprom so I can use it as a 29 wire modchip. I plan to get it installed on my next day off, but I do not have high hopes as it uses the same lines as the tsop.

I wanted to, but I already had the breakout, and someone was kind enough to share the pinout:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/tl866-tsop40-adapters.67275/#post-953349
    I haven't had luck with the cheap sockets and clips they use, couldn't even get it to work with and 8-pin soic. I can't imagine it would fair well with a 40-pin tsop.

I appreciate the thought, but this xbox was my first (very sentimental) and I was hoping to repair it rather than replace. The LPC bus still works though, so that will be what I will have to use if it can't be fixed without southbridge replacement (as I don't have the tools).

6. dark ricardo

dark ricardo Active Member

Verify the size of the bios you are flashing to the tsop must be 1 megabyte (1024k) for xbox 1.0,also check for broken traces around the LPC area,check for bad capacitors but also something similar happened to me before it was a bad power supply.