X-Band Modem

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Lunchbox, Aug 7, 2017.

?

Do you own and XBAND Modem?

1. Sega Genesis

2. Super Nintendo

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Hey everyone!

So as the title says, this post is about the Xband Modem for the sega genesis and super nintendo. Myself and a few others have been chipping away at the xband over the years until we ended up breaking through a few major barriers. We currently have quite a bit of control of the modem and can make it do quite a few things but are still working on a few key items. We don't really have an ETA here but we want the modem to be able to be used as much as anyone else out there. Please get the word out and share this information/video if you would like to see the xband modem become useful again.

The goal is to restore the network and continue to add more titles and features. Currently on facebook we have the xband group which is closed but approval isn't terribly difficult. We also launched Retro.Live (www.retro.live) which is admittedly super super lacking and basic and just a standing site but it links to our patreon that we are running for anyone that wants to donate and help this project along if it peaks your interest.

Ill just leave this video here that one of our guys shot showing a little bit of the progress we've made.

If you're interested in finding out more information about this project, you can view our patreon HERE

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    MottZilla and LeHaM like this.
  2. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Looks good! Awesome job :3

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Does the X-Band work with modern VOIP/digital/not a real landline phone service? I've always thought someone bringing back the X-Band would be pretty cool. As well as making patches for new game support.

4. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

So, the plan is to get it working regardless of the telecom situation. Basically it should work on landline obviously as a default. We aim to try to get something working over voip but preliminary testing with modem/fax friendly protocols over voip havnt given us any good results thus far.

As far as game patches, this is something we can probably do and its on the list of things to do after the network is up and running.

5. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

I still have a MISB SNES version somewhere. I got it for free from Toys R Us many years ago when I dug out a very dusty box that had been buried and lost and evidently overlooked for some years. When they checked, nothing came up and since no price was listed and no inventory was listed, it may have been written off as lost or stolen during inventory check, and it was so old there's no price anywhere on their database so they gave it to me.

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

IIRC, the X-Band used Bell 212A signalling (1200baud / full duplex) - it probably wouldn't get through the typical voice codecs used for VoIP in any usable state, but some VoIP terminal devices can recognize modem tones and handle them correctly.

7. MottZilla

How would you know if your phone service would work? I can fax things with my phone service still. Would that indicate any compatibility with the X-Band or not?

8. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

\
    Rockwell 2400 Baud modem, and yes Bell signalling :)

9. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Well... if you have a traditional land line it'll work just fine as it was designed for that originally. Digital phone lines (voip) have had mixed results so far. Doesnt mean it wont work, but we havn't found a good hardware setup that will work well enough.....yet. Also, gameplay via VOIP Probably will have added latency which could cause gameplay issues. Wont be able to say for sure though until we have a few things more things ironed out with the reverse engineering process

10. MottZilla

I'd hope it can work out cause companies like AT&T are wanting to completely get rid of their true landline network cause all digital VOIP is way cheaper for them.

11. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Yeah its been a concern. I know we've had 2 people state they flat out cant get it because at&t wont sell it to them, but others say they can get it just fine. It seems to be hit or miss so far.

12. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Alright everyone, we've opened the Alpha server up to the public, Please see www.retro.live for details on connecting. Currently its extremely limited in what it can do right now but we are looking to test compatibility with as many different voip and analog line setups as we can.

13. cobracon2

cobracon2 Rapidly Rising Member

You should post up more youtube videos of this. Could get you a lot more users.

14. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Thats the plan. More stuff should be coming fairly soon. We've been tinkering with different voip solutions to try to get something cheap and reliable working and we've had some success so far but needs thorough testing.