US WTB sega cdx /multimega Parts

Discussion in 'Want to Buy Requests (WTB)' started by segasonicfan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

So this might be a long shot, but I'm looking for some pieces for a CDX I've repaired:

-metal bar that holds the laser and screw
    -plastic battery compartment for the 2 AAs
    -extra plastic case and bottom

I would also be interested in just a broken whole unit.

I could offer new lasers for trade or other components for other system repairs. I have a lot of stuff here, including Dreamcast, Saturn, NES, PS2, XBox, Wii, etc

2. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

Wish I would have seen this thread yesterday while reassembling my CDX so I could see if any other “metal bars” from other consoles fit, too much of a pain to check now but maybe PS2 slim or GameCube would be worth trying in desperation or if you have a dremel, highly doubt you’ll ever find someone giving that part up. I could mail you one of each for free if you want To see if they will fit, in fact I have the old CDX laser laying around I’ll see if anything will fit for you.

Saturn: Way too long, slightly thicker than PS2 slim
    PS2 slim: Still too long, rubs a bit
    Gamecube non-plastic arm fits perfectly and may be nearly the perfect size if you have one handy, don't feel like opening my CDX again to check
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

May sound stupid but infinitely more possible than finding a junked CDX for less than $150. :confused:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    segasonicfan likes this.
  3. segasonicfan

Hey, thanks for checking that's really nice of you. Yeah I'll keep an eye out for a GameCube in that case!

Dear lord I hope a junked CDX isn't $150 already. I saw one sale on eBay this past couple days for $90 something which I still think is completely insane. I've never spent more than fifty bucks on a broken system and I never intend to.

Gawsh I miss the days when fully working CDX systems with their OEM power supplies were $50-$60 on eBay any day of the week. They really aren't as rare as people make them out to be, which is why they're being relisted weekly with new sales. I can't wait for the inflated market to end so I can go back to repairing systems without dumping out my whole wallet.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Nully likes this.
  4. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

If you passed up a CDX for $90 you made a terrible mistake. Have a link, I have scripts running to check for that kind of stuff and didn't see it or else I'd had bought it for sure.

EDIT: I found it, crap condition and console only sold by a "retro gaming store" aka likely tried to fix it and failed; so I would have passed. :rolleyes: It was also an auction which is different for pricing, BINs are usually $150+ broken.

If you are still trying to buy broken consoles, only buy higher value items from low feedback sellers, pawn shops, sellers not specializing in video games etc (clothes or something unrelated) because they aren't going to be the ones opening them up and breaking things etc and passing it off as "untested". Trust me on this. Anyway if you want to see if it'll fit PM me your address it only takes a 45 cent stamp which I won't charge for.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. segasonicfan

Definitely some good tips there. I just dont buy into all the fake inflation going on, there are definitely plenty of units that sell much cheaper like this one which sold a couple weeks ago (working unit for $170):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genes...10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc#vi__app-cvip-panel

Prices are just all over the map on eBay and don't generally reflect market value. Ever since eBay started doing the "relist it forever for free" and "items like this are selling for..." The whole retro market has been a mess. Games and systems will sit up there for months at a time until somebody gets tired of waiting and bids on it or BIN. Then eBay takes that as the "what people are paying for this" price and encourages new sellers to list at that price. What does this whole thing lead up to? That's right, inflation and a fake market.

I've been trying to sell games and systems locally that are quite expensive according to eBay, and yet have struggled very hard to unload them at a super low price. Likewise I get things incredibly cheap when I don't shop on ebay but buy elsewhere.

I really appreciate your offer to send over the metal rod. I'm assuming you would need it back though right? In that case I think I'll hold out for finding a broken GameCube. Those pics are super helpful though! Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

6. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

Yeah auctions prices are like that but with bid sniping tools it’s a crapshoot and I don’t bother so BIN is what I’m mainly talking about with pricing.

As far as the GameCube no, I have a huge box of dead drives so it’s no big deal even its for nothing and doesn’t work out. :)

7. segasonicfan

Oh awesome, I will PM you then! (and I do have access to a Dremel and cutting tools)

8. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I'll send a PS2 slim piece too which is about twice as long, measure then cut and lube and it should slide pretty easily. I've ever done this before obviously and this is a total guess, but it's not like it's anything other than a steel bar so shouldn't make a difference if it has the same dimensions. I searched far and wide for a Neo Geo CD lid spring so I know the feeling of missing an obscure part, I even contacted a spring company for a quote but couldn't figure out if both sides of the lid used the same spring due to lack of documentation.

9. segasonicfan

bump i actually got the metal bar replaced! turns out it was 3mm (x 66mm) diameter which is pretty common for RC hobbyist stuff and other things. However, I was able to score one from a broken portable DVD player and cut it down to size :)

Now I'm just looking for The elusive case screws and the guide motor. I have a good lead on a replacement motor, but I don't know for sure if it will work. Those screws on the other hand would be great to find, especially the black small ones...

10. segasonicfan

Heres a picture of how I procured that laser guide bar, for anyone thats interested.

I found a guide motor so now Im just looking for:

* Case screws (screws of any kind really)
    * Plastic square that covers the cartridge slot and guides the cart (also supports the power PCB).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  11. segasonicfan

Bump. Still looking for sorts of plastic parts and bits

12. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

i have personally liked having a 3D printer for these kinds of things, really annoying when you have a little piece of plastic missing and cant find a replacement, usually i dump the design over to thingiverse, might be worth looking on there to see if anyone has made a printable copy of the part

i have on occasion just made designs for the fun of it measuring up and recreating the part as more of a challenge to myself to learn how to design them

13. segasonicfan

I definitely thought about this, and I do have access to some friends with 3D printers. But the software can be a pain and the mockups take a lot of time and energy. While I love 3D printing, it is nowhere near as easy as people make out to be. but yeah, if all else fails I will have to give that a go eventually.

14. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

well you can always make back a bit of money by reselling printouts of your design, if there is enough demand and your the only supplier you should get a few sales to make up for the effort designing them, i have sold a few bits and pieces i have designed, sure its only a few quid per item, but better than nothing and if you need the part yourself you also have the added bonus of being able to use/resell the item you were currently trying to fix up

im not sure how complex the piece your missing is, but if its an internal part you could even get away with not making it look super perfect

(sorry if this came across as trying to derail your WTB thread, just a suggestion :p )

15. segasonicfan

Suggestions in good faith are always welcome :)

I'm not sure how much demand there would be for these random plastic pieces, but it's not a bad idea. However, I have a lot of other work and R&D projects and PCB designs that are eating up all my time at the moment...