Writing Disks for the PSP Testing Tool

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by SpaceCoyote, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:44 PM.

1. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Member

I'm trying to write bootable games using the official UMD image Generator for the PSP Testing Tool. I'm following the PDF guide and it just won't work.

Could anyone suggest what i'm doing wrong. It's assigned as a PSP Game and I set the boot file and filled in all the meta data that is required.

2. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

Care to elaborate?
    Are you receiving an error message? If so, can you provide the steps you've taken to get to it, along with a screenshot of the error.
    Is the program crashing/freezing?
    Any additional detail will likely help get a better understanding of the situation.

3. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Member

It doesn't show that it has read the disk, nothing appears
    UPDATE: I tried a test disk that someone compiled and it hasn't recognised that either, is it possible that the disc drive is worn out?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:03 PM
  4. mathieulh

mathieulh Humble homebrewer

What disc have you tied? What error do you get? What's your testingtool model number?

5. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Member

I tried the Saints Row Undercover prototype and a testing disk from this collection of PSP stuff. I don't get any error, it doesn't do anything. My testing tool model number is DTP-H1500 A.

6. WorldGenesis

WorldGenesis :D

Isn't there a switch to do a drive select between UMD and the DVD drive? o.o

7. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Member

Yeah, of course, it's on the front and hard to miss. How often should you get an error when you put in a disc? With any disc? My disc drive clicks, so I'm starting to think that it's broken.

8. mathieulh

You may have to replace it then. You are looking for a Panasonic or Matsushita SR-8589-C. That's the drive that ships with all DTP unit.

Does reading UMDs work?
    You did burn the img files as files right? It doesn't work if you burn the image as is onto a DVD

9. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Member

Yh, UMDs still work. Is there anyway to play builds other than retail on the console, maybe from the Memory Stick?

10. mathieulh

That depends on the firmware you are on. On 6.00+ you can use npumdimg

11. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I believe when you insert a DVD and it doesn't recognize it as a bootable disc it actually says "Can't read disc" or something along those lines. Sounds like your drive isn't working if you don't get any message.

12. SpaceCoyote

SpaceCoyote Member

That works great, thank you very much for the help btw

I've also ordered a replacement drive, should be with me by the end of the month.