writing a new gdemu menu (opensource) - anyone want to help/work on this?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Mrneo240, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Razor

Razor Active Member

thanks, i'm on obscuregamers.com now but can't find the openmenu page

2. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

I'd be interested in helping with this. I recently started playing around with GDEMU and the key tools for it being closed source is annoying. I made my own sd card builder, mainly because the one I tried has problems on my main machines but I also wanted something I could script without a GUI. I don't really have as much need for a new menu but it would be nice to have something opensource. Having the option to build a custom cdi with whatever list of games and art is a key feature for me. And probably something I could code. As someone mentioned 1TB SDs are here and will probably soon be cheap. But if it takes 30 minutes to scan and generate the menu it's pointless. I also like to idea of doing a dev environment in a VM. The required toolchain is a shitshow and would take an hour to build even if you had all the dependencies it needs and doesn't tell you about until the end. It would make it a lot easier for people to get involved.

3. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

https://gitlab.com/HaydenKow/openmenu_dc

&

https://hub.docker.com/r/haydenkow/nu_dckos/

4. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

Thanks. Other than it not working it works great. At least the toolchain seems to be there, which is the annoying part. Can you try building that repo using that container to see what's wrong. Looks like some simple makefile problems but you'd probably be able to work it out easier than I could.

Thanks. Other than it not working it works great. At least the toolchain seems to be there, which is the annoying part. Can you try building that repo using that container to see what's wrong. Looks like some simple makefile problems but you'd probably be able to work it out easier than I could.
    It's not virtualbox but could easily be put converted to that. I'm ok with docker but would like to get toolchain working under cygwin so I can use it on a windows notebook. I spend 1/4 of my life on the road with limited internet access.

5. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

you can download prebuilded compiler

6. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

I had a look at that but I'd need to do a bunch of other stuff manually to be able to build the menu. Probably no easier than getting the toolchain to build.

7. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

Don't cygwin. It will lead to sadness.

Dreamcast likes this.
  8. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Yet here I am, cross-compiling from within Cygwin to native Windows using mingw and linking with Python libs...

I hate Windows

Dreamcast and Mrneo240 like this.
  9. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Funny this was posted. I've had many problems with porting through Cygwin lately, so I've decided, going forward, to forego supporting Windows for any of the community-based projects I've been working on. Cygwin has been good for what it is, but with options like simply running a real version of Linux in a VM or on dedicated hardware (heck, even on a cheap SoC is better), the frustration of working with Windows isn't worth it anymore.

10. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

Not as much sadness as running anything else on the machine I use the most. Sure, I could probably get it up and running on one of my debian servers easy enough, but I don't carry one of those around with me all day.

11. Razor

Razor Active Member

i'd like to see a vm already setup, or a full step by step guide setting it up on ubuntu so i can build stuff for the dreamcast from source code

12. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

If the docker container worked it would be easy enough to convert to a VM. Hopefully if there's enough interest that will get sorted.