writing a new gdemu menu (opensource) - anyone want to help/work on this?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Mrneo240, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

hello!

with just the right of info dropped by our beloved megavolt85, i believe we could start to write the basics of a very simple, but fully open/free gdemu menu frontend.

would anyone want to take a stab at this?

DO NOT be misled, many features you've come to love would be missing initially.
    • in game reset
    • codebreaker loading
    • vga patching
    • region free
    • bypass of license and sega screen.
    but together maybe we can build a brighter tomorrow

zero35, Zeigren, sa1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

With multiple people working on an open sourced GDMENU great things can be achieved in due time! I seriously can't believe we have the SDK available now! My guess is it was initially only shared with Neuroacid, but he shared it with others. Thankfully it is enough to get something built! In my humble opinion, I believe you might want to post this at all the various DC forums around the net you frequent at, so as many eyes see this as possible. Especially over at r/Dreamcast and Dreamcast-Talk forums.

sa1 likes this.
  3. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

I disassembled GDMENU in order to get this SDK

is standart BIOS function

why? use this engine, need only create GUI in new menu

small idea for new menu
    Code:
    uint8_t secbuf[2048];
    char str[64];
    CDROM_TOC toc;

int is_dc_img()
    {
        if (!strncmp((char*)secbuf, "SEGA SEGAKATANA SEGA ENTERPRISES", 32))
        {
            return  1;
        }

return 0;
    }

int is_psx_img()
    {
        if (!strncmp((char*)secbuf+8, "PLAYSTATION", 11))
        {
            return  1;
        }

return 0;
    }

void read_disc_info()
    {
        int status = -1, disc_type = -1;

cdrom_reinit();

do
        {
            cdrom_get_status(&status, &disc_type);

if (status == CD_STATUS_PAUSED ||
                status == CD_STATUS_STANDBY||
                status == CD_STATUS_PLAYING )
            {
                break;
            }
        }
        while(1);

if(disc_type == CD_GDROM)
        {
            cdrom_read_toc(&toc, 1);
            cdrom_read_sectors((void*)secbuf, 45150, 1);
        }
        else
        {
            cdrom_read_toc(&toc, 0);
            cdrom_read_sectors((void*)secbuf, cdrom_locate_data_track(&toc), 1);
        }

if(is_dc_img())
        {
            memcpy(str, secbuf+128, 32);
            str[32] = '\0';
        }
        else
        {
            cdrom_read_sectors((void*)secbuf, 166, 1);

if(is_psx_img())
            {
                memcpy(str, secbuf+40, 32);
                str[32] = '\0';
                printf("[PSX] ");
            }
            else
            {
                strcpy(str, "Unknown disc");
            }
        }

printf("%s\n", str);
    }

4. Mrneo240

heres a menu that does nothing. soon.

Zeigren, sa1, Blockhead and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mrneo240

I will but I'd rather wait until something is at least running and works even if just barely.
    -minimum: change image and launch

Anthony817 likes this.
  6. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Wish we could have one for USB-GDROM.

7. Mrneo240

get some info if it can be done through G1 cmds

8. Mrneo240

Zeigren, Plavix and Anthony817 like this.
  9. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

mnemo, the creator, has notoriously refused to allow any such interface.

10. Mrneo240

To what benefit? Ensuring his higher priced option has less features?

Zeigren, Anthony817 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  11. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Nice initiative and project! FOSS FTW!

Sadly, I really can't commit to anything more than following the project because of a lack of free time. But it might be a good opportunity for learning!

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

This is why people shit on Mnemo so much, amongst other reasons. This is why the GDEMU will always be the better option. When 1tb SD cards release and come down in price, what point is there for the USB-GDROM?

darcagn likes this.
  13. Mrneo240

-=FamilyGuy=- and Anthony817 like this.
  14. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Lol what is that song in the 2nd video? I used to be big into Three 6 Mafia back in the day, dude is rapping lyrics from Slob on my Knob. Not too big on modern rap more into Electronic nowadays. Sounded interesting though.

15. Mrneo240

ASAP Ferg - plain Jane

Anthony817 likes this.
  16. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

He's notoriously paranoid about his device being copied in some fashion. It's absurd.

To be frank, Deunan is just as bad. He never properly responded to the whole 12V overheating issue, and while he allows menu work, his file system remains archaic as ever. When was his last firmware update? Why are the folder structures so patently bad?

fry76 and Anthony817 like this.
  17. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah not defending his business practices either, it was why I was compelled to get a clone after trying to get a legit one for 4 years without dealing with scalpers.

But just on the fact that it is cheaper, will surely support 1tb SD cards when they come down in price, and we have a nice GUI menu, as well as the possibility to have alternatives released is why I prefer it. I was seriously contemplating getting a USB-GDROM for the longest, but honestly the dude is charging an arm and a leg for them. The only advantage it has that I can see at the moment is it supports up to 2tb USB storage devices. Once 1tb and 2tb SD cards come out, and are affordable, I don't see why anybody should continue purchasing that device when it doesn't even have the ability to get a decent looking menu for it. Presentation is everything to a lot of people.

Even then only reason somebody would need that much storage is for emulators and homebrew on top of the full set of retail releases.

Not knocking the people who bought that device, as it isn't a race here, but just saying that the fact he charges so much, and refuses to allow a more complex menu is insanity on his part, but people are still willing to buy them so they continue to sell.

In fact, I wasn't even a fan of GDEMU until a friend sent me his modded DC to test out for about 6 months back in 2016 to get a feel for them. Once I saw how nice it was in person, any of my personal preconceived notions of the GDEMU being inferior to the USB-GDROM melted away.

But I should keep this on topic and not let the thread deviate from the OP.

Hopefully the newly discovered .bin files found inside the binary of GDMENU will help this project to shine bright as well. Hopefully we can get many different menus for people to pick and choose from.

One thing that you mentioned was the archaic file system in place, I agree. It also would be nice if we can group or organize games by genre or separate homebrew from retail in it's own subdirectory or via the ability to group games from the menu itself. Something like how you can add folders and group apps/games on PS3 would be idea into it's own categories/folders.

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The reason his filesystem is so simple might be completely pragmatic. FPGAs are very different don't have infinite room for logic, and he might not have that much room left after the emulation logic. Bigger FPGA implies a higher price, so it's a game of trade-offs.

Mnemo is childish and demeaning. His comparison table between GDEmu and USB GD-Rom was nothing short of bad faith; he's basically a fanboy of himself.

On the other end, Deunan doesn't have the best commercial mind; he could sell much more GDEmus with less effort and for cheaper, all of that while making more profits, if he wanted to put some cash upfront and automate his process. But I guess not everyone has the entrepreneurial mindset, and losing some control over your cherished work can be intimidating.

That said, I still think clones are a shame. They're a symptom of a problem, but it's still basic intellectual theft. The cloners are making money out of the hard work of others and they deserve no support from us.

@Mrneo240, any chance of a VirtualBox image with an environment set up for developing the menu? With only "git pull" and "make" to run to get a proper binary? Or just one with a DC Dev environment? That'd so convenient for me... Don't bother if you don't see the point or don't have the time.

Any chance @neuroacid might share his non-NDA menu code to build upon? It'd be nice for at least the different ways to boot etc.

darcagn and Anthony817 like this.
  19. Mrneo240

i havent checked, but likely you could use DreamSDK R1 https://assemblergames.com/threads/dreamsdk-r1-released.70159/ .Or i think simulant has a docker image you could also use?

but in its current form (maybe i have to push more recent changes)
    its a pretty simple build process
    Code:
    cd openmenu
    make clean;make
    cd loader
    make clean;make scramble
    then in /build you should have a 1ST_READ.BIN ready to use in a cdi (its scrambled, supply your own IP.BIN)

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  20. Plavix

Plavix Rapidly Rising Member

I feel there is no need for a different menu on usb gdrom. I like what MNEMO has done with it. It's total fine the way it is. GDEMU imho isn't as good as USB GD-ROM.