Wondermega Error

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Purpledom, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Purpledom

Purpledom Member

I don't know if this is the correct forum as I have just joined but I have an issue with a Victor Wondermega mk1

[​IMG]

Has anyone seen this message or could translate, can make out reset and ram...

I have the wondermega collection and that works fine but I get the message above with prince of persia.

any ideas? thanks

2. Purpledom

Purpledom Member

Forgot to mentioned, pressing start just goes back to the main screen.

Not tried any carts as I don't have any around at the moment

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

It basically says you have an issue with your internal backup RAM (Saving memory for game data). It says to pres the reset button on the console then select the option mode from the control screen (the main CD player screen). It then says by pressng Start you will return to the Control screen.

You probable need to clean your system RAM by formating it.

Yakumo

4. Purpledom

Purpledom Member

thanks for that, any idea how I would format the system Ram?

5. Yakumo

Go to the memory option on the CD player screen. you will be presented with another screen with pictures of the Wondermega and a RAM cartridge on it. Take a picture of that and I will tell you which one you should select. I can't remember off the top of my head.

yakumo

6. Purpledom

Purpledom Member

Great, this is the screen I get from options;

[​IMG]

Pressing start opens this screen;

[​IMG]

Many thansks

7. ASSEMbler_archived

ASSEMbler_archived Pillar of the Community ****

Wondermega has internal save cart ram expansion??

8. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

The regular Sega/Mega CD has backup RAM too.

9. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

For you a quick translation of the menu:

Format internal memory
    Format BACKUP RAM cartridge
    Internal memory erase item
    BACKUP RAM cartridge erase item
    Copy from Internal memory to RAM cart
    Copy from RAM cart to Internal memory
    Exit

When you choose erase item and press a button on a item it will ask if you wish to delete it and will show a confirmation prompt you're probably familiar with. :)

2 hiragana symbols (ha-i) meaning yes
    3 hiragana symbols (i-i-e) meaning no

Hope this helps you on your RAM management chores with that AWESOME console you got. I'm a bit jealous I'd LOVE to own such a marvelous system.

If you consider modding it, I hacked the original Wondermega1 BIOS to be region free, meaning you can play any region MEGA DRIVE CD discs on it. :thumbsup:

All you have to do is take the file from me, burn it on a eprom chip and fit on the console.
    Just send a PM if interested.

10. Purpledom

Purpledom Member

that's really helpful info thanks :) sadly just went to try the format and realised I had left the power supply and stepdown plugged in and it overheated and no longer seems to power the console.

Either the PSU or stepdown has packed in I think, well hoping so and not the console :crying:Anyone know where I can get a compatible power unit?

On a side note l_oliveira, might take you up on the bios help, when I get the power issues sorted :thumbsup:

11. Yakumo

Quick and easy answer is, select the 3 rd option :)

12. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Also note if you plan to use 32X, wondermega 1 must get an RGB mod. That attachment won't work correctly with composite/svideo/etc fed into it.

13. The Perfect K

The Perfect K Robust Member

If its like any of te Sega CD models I've tried, it has a battery backup internally.

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, the Wondermega (RG-M1) has internal RAM. I know because I've played Switch (Mega CD) on mine, and it saves the game without any RAM cartridge inserted.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  15. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

I had the same message/problem with my wondermega M1 a few months ago while trying to boot Sonic CD. After formatting the internal ram (option 1) the problem was gone and the game would start. I guess the contents of the internal ram get corrupted when the console isn't used for an extended period of time?

16. Purpledom

Purpledom Member

thanks for the help guys, can't test the solution yet as the cord on my power adapter has broken. Any idea's where I can get a replacement cord (with the power jack)?

thanks

17. JLukas

JLukas Spirited Member

A replacement AC adapter for a Wondermega RG-M1? Assuming you are in the USA, a USA Sega CDX power supply has the same output specs and will work: 9.5V DC, 1.5A, center positive - ----Co ---- + Check your broken AC adapter label to verify.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Careful to get the right one. You can't miss it once you know what to look for. USA Sega CDX power supply, while hard to find apart from a console today, specifically states on the label it is for CDX.

19. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

All SEGA/MEGA-CD units use a SANYO MNO2 (Manganese oxide) rechargeable battery to power the 8KB of internal memory. It's voltage will drop with time and eventually, the voltage will be so low that the data on the SRAM will start to "bit rot" and then the RAM will be corrupted.

Also keeping the battery discharged for long periods of time will cause it to fail. My MEGA-CD is from 1991 and because I aways turn it on for a few hours every couple of months it never lost any save files. Also the battery still hold data apparently as good as when it was new... :thumbsup:

20. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

@l_oliveira

I guess you are right, but i'm really a lazy guy when it comes to these kind of things.
    Unpacking and hooking up all the stuff.. and remember MegaCD is not the only console with build in batteries, the Dreamcast also has (non removable) batteries.