Women not allowed to play in Hearthstone tournament

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by blueshogun96, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

I dunno if anyone cares anymore, but they backtracked and now women can play in the tournament.

2. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Yeah, you can't feed the trolls. Learning to ignore them works wonders.

3. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Errr, you didn't think she'd have reason to? This is the equivalent to the clubhouse we had back in the day, where we had a sign that said "no girls allowed", except we were mere years old. This was conscious grown up adults being sexist for no reason whatsoever.

I see they've backtracked quickly. Bunch of buffoons.

4. M. Bison

M. Bison I'll see you all at 3:15!

Well, now that I think about it, this would've been a legitimate issue so she actually wouldn't talk about it. :p

Yeah, as much as I usually hate bitching about "sexism!!!!!" in gaming, this is one actual problem that pisses me off (if the ban was maintained, that is).

5. blueshogun96

Well said, but I think the bigger issue is the fact that the overseers of this tournament are treating video games like any other "sport", which was their [alleged] motivation for the segregation (it wasn't an actual ban; I should have been more specific in the title). Actual physical sports tend to be segregated, and they essentially had the same mindset. Since we don't see gaming as a "sport" or an industry to be simply cashed in on, we aren't exactly going to like the decision. If they were unsure about whether it should be segregated or not, they could have done a poll at the very least, and to us, the results would have been obvious enough.

If this were a minor and/or private party, I don't think the "men only" thing would be an issue. If I'm not mistaken, there are "women only" gaming parties, which don't concern me because I think both genders need a little private space from time to time. Since it's a major event sponsored by major companies, they should have known better that this wasn't going to give them good press.

Shogun.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  6. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

[​IMG]

This would be really fucking funny if it not were because the faux-gamer SJWs are going to have a field day (more like a whole YEAR) with this shit, even if the organizers reversed the decision.

As for esports, indeed its dumb as all hell, look at the corrupt shithole fifa is, do you want that for gaming?

7. sampppa

sampppa Newly Registered

To be more exact "Female Competition" stays untouched, but old "Male Competition" is now open for all.

Source: http://www.assembly.org/summer14/news/iesf-rule-change

8. artillery_ghosted

artillery_ghosted Gutsy Member

Stop oppressing me with your better gaming skills you shitlord!

9. M. Bison

M. Bison I'll see you all at 3:15!

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i literally cant even

like jfc male gamer tears lmao

10. blueshogun96

It's the patriarchy club!

Fifa is a nightmare. God forbid they do anything about the blatant racism like the Nazis saying "Sieg Heil" and others throwing bananas and peanuts at black players while making monkey sounds.

I was going to avoid commenting on this, but now that it's out in the open, I'll go ahead and say this.

If there's one thing I noticed, if there's any particular thing that's exclusive to men, people will cry "sexism" in an instant while demanding things to be changed. But if there's other things exclusive to women, then nobody really cares. This is why I have a problem with political correctness, it's only sexist if it involves men. In a similar regard, it's like the "it's only racist if it involves white people", because the group that's the majority or is considered to be the most "privileged" can be run over with a mack truck without consequence. Even though I'm part of a protected class, I don't believe in using such exclusive power to make everything conform to me. It is what it is though...

Shogun.

11. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Well, until sex-equality is implemented and respected by the majority and the system itself, men will be privileged compared to women and we should be aware of that and try our best not to abuse our privilege or be insensitive to the disadvantages of women.

Same goes for skin colour, ethnicity, religious belief, and whatnot. It's atrocious when people are oblivious to your struggle.

12. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Hell, this is bloody stupid. Seriously, this is almost ringing a bell, like segregation between whites and black. Back in the (horrible) old days . Seriously, if you ask me. If I was a competitive player at any game. I would be fucking proud , if I got my arse handed to me. By a woman. Cause human beings are created equal, no matter what gender . Damn all that male chauvinistic bullshit !

13. blueshogun96

Hear hear.

This is my opinion on privilege though. From an evolutionary standpoint, men were given the majority of privilege because men were also given the majority of responsibility. It's similar to how a CEO has more privilege than the secretary due to his larger set of responsibility. However, just as you accurately said, the CEO can't abuse that privilege because then you drive away your secretary because he/she deserves better, and the CEO absolutely NEEDS that secretary because the CEO can't do everything him/herself. A partnership is different because the share the responsibility equally, thus have equal privilege.

So, IMHO, the only way to have true gender equality is to share equal privilege and responsibility. Unfortunately, this looks like a hard pill to swallow on both sides.

EDIT: Decided to remove the long rant, but in murican history, sexism doesn't quite reach the level of racism here (speaking from a black perspective).

Shogun.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  14. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Sorry, but sexism and racism belongs no where in any kind of place.

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

There are societies where women had more power than men (matriarchal societies), some native Americans from where I live are like that. The only reason men have more power in most societies is because in general they are physically stronger than women and violence is a big part of homo sapiens especially several thousand years ago. And that's about the time cultures formed.

16. blueshogun96

Yup, all of these "ism"s are just another form of ignorance.

Good point, but I don't think that's entirely the reason. Because men are physically above men in general, women did have certain expectations of men and their ability to use that strength as providers for a family, village, nation, etc. so they would have to accept a bit more responsibility for the sake of defending them and children. And in the past (and sometimes today), women expect the man to be dominant and accept the majority of responsibility.

Shogun.

17. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

^^ the ultimate authority ALL other 'authorities' are derived. (unknown)
    as for the subject, i'm a sexist in humor.button press (if you can't laugh at...hari kyrie will help there) but it ends there.
    i get WOOD at the hands of women, if they can put out and participate/cut me down with vigor, go for it. got a viewer here.
    that said, what of FEMALE only gymnastics? (the olympics are SHIT 'booga') get no argument here, i don't wanna see bulky men doing a twirl, too niche for me.
    consider this:
    the very concept of the thread (not author but indoctrinated mindsets) is to create 'divide and conquer' results, who really cares of gender anyway?
    a bullet from ANY side has enough stopping power to get point across, look to the bigger picture! :smile-new:
    true, opposite sex gets advantages over the other, is the way of the world.
    PICK UP AN ASSAULT RIFLE AND MAKE POINT BECAUSE NOTHING ELSE CUTS THE MUSTARD...
    or just do the cool thing, which is your own.
    i for one couldn't give a flying fuck, i can't bend time/space and only mortal, live with it and focus on the REAL enemy, not the opposite side that's required to CONTINUE us as a species.
    oh, gamer chicks, what are they? :cocksure:

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

This argument is circular, gender inequality explained by gender inequality. The very reason some women (and men for that matter) expect men to be dominant and responsible are cultural and find their roots long ago. In the native american culture I was referring to above (Anishinaabeg) women were the executive and political power. Men were the workforce and the hunters. They were this way because they were this way for thousands of years, just as out societies are like they are for ancient cultural reasons. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to change that.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  19. blueshogun96

Very interesting. I'm in favour of doing what's best for everyone, so everybody wins.

20. blotter12

blotter12 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Glad this all got settled quickly.

Where would you rather have the money go? To the guys who own the team? How is that better? If you think athletes make too much, stop watching games on TV, stop going to stadiums and stop buying merch, so that the industry gets smaller. I'd much rather see an athlete get his or her fair share of the money floating around than some old rich guy who is lucky enough to own a team.