Wolfenstein 3D Genesis

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by beyre, Dec 19, 2008.

1. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

Except for that is doesn't work like that. You can't access all 61 (not 64) colors in a single *tile* like that. It's 16colors per tile. The SNES mode is 256 colors per tile. The PC has no tiles and it's just 256 colors straight bitmap. Plus I doubt you'd get even a decent play rate at 320 wide rendering area. More like 256 pixel window with double wide pixels for a blowup 128 pixels wide window. Like Duke 3D on the Genesis' did.

Duke 3D took advantage of the fact that the pixels were double wide and the video out of the Genesis was/is blurry (except for RGB and svideo Genesis systems). You can get 155 *fixed* pseudo colors that way. And they are definitely fixed ;) They just won't be 'pseudo' colors on setups of RGB and svideo systems.

2. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Like i said, it was something i did in like 2 minutes for the fuck of it, so it wasnt really meant to be a 100% accurate representation of how it would have looked.

EDIT: I also said that i was probably being a little generous with that pic.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

You can have :

16 colors for enemies + walls
    15, 31 or 46 colors for your weapon (you can dual or triple layer...)
    and up to 61 for the frame, and more if you make use of shadow/highlight, 183 colors... you won't be having that much colors though, it will have to look like a rainbow if you do :p

Duke3D on MD has 9 levels, it has an disapointing ending ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRpybEReIs0 ).
    The boss is really tough, it shoots more rockets at you than you can shoot back, and its gonna be pretty intense, as only 2...3 hits are needed for you to die if you're at full energy+armor. Damn this game is hard...

4. skavenger216

So i went to redo that pic, this time only using 16 colors total, for everything, and it came out the EXACT same as the pic i already posted. I would try the double wide pixels and such that was mentioned, but i dont have the time right now ( im at work:icon_bigg), and for that matter, i really dont care about Wolf3D on Genny, i just did that pic to show beyre what it could have possibly looked like. So yeah, other than the double wide pixels, that pic should be a somewhat feasible example.

5. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

You will need sprite masks to have the shadows or highlight on certain parts of the screen... the more data you need, the slower things will go... you could do a trick to extend DMA period (definitely needed when doing it in 60Hz... MD has much greater DMA bandwidth in 50Hz)...

7. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I posted a scan of the Megadrive version before. Still, I guess the screenshots on that were SNES ones.

8. tomaitheous

Double the data rate, vram usage, processing computation, etc. It would drop the frame rate too. Too bad MD doesn't use a planar tile/sprite format. Writing 1bit pixels for shadow/highlight buffer would have been more effective IMO.

9. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And compared to the SNES version on the left. I think the screenshots are genuine. The boss must be copy and pasted from another version, it's too high-res.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  10. skavenger216

Looking at that article and that mock up i made, other than the color being a little off ( may be just do to the scan, im not sure), id say i was pretty damn close:thumbsup:

11. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

The magazine shots looks pretty good IMO... I want a ROM of it :p

12. Christer-swe

Christer-swe Fiery Member

How big is a 32X cartridge, in data?

13. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

Same as MD alone, 4MBytes without trickery.

14. beyre

beyre Guest

still looks quite good, if thoes screen shots, of that magazine scan are real MD shots, it does seem possibull, (and if thoes SS are real md shots, then there must of been a beta cart) somewhere that never got released?

but they could just be snes shots

as stated earlyer

15. skavenger216

I dunno, the screenies have blood in them, so i dont think they are SNES. Unless the SNES one was planned to have blood and they removed it.

16. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

IF it was a cd-32x would that allow for morecolors or whatever is needed?

17. beyre

beyre Guest

it dosnt need to be cd 32x, as its not that much of a big game, i think it was like 2mb so like 24mbit, 32mbit max, i would say it would take, its just wether the engine would be genesis optimised, so it would look deceent full screen on the genesis / megadrive

i belive thats the case anyway

Ben

18. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  19. tomaitheous

If you've played the SNES version, then you know those screen shots aren't from it ;)

I don't think anyone said the game wasn't possible on the Genesis. Just that the color fidelity would be worst.

Of course. If it was 32x cart or 32x CD, it would have higher color fidelity and resolution. But this isn't about the 32x, this is about the Genesis/Megadrive.

20. beyre

beyre Guest

well actually, i was talking about devloping a megadrive cart & / a 32x cart of wolfenstine, so it kinda is about the 32x as well :)

Ben