Wolfenstein 3D Genesis

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by beyre, Dec 19, 2008.

1. beyre

beyre Guest

now we all know wolf 3d, was never released on the genesis, yet according to this scan it was going to get a genesis release so this means its technicaly possibull, so wondering if any programers wanted to release a genesis port, and start the WOLF 3D 4 Genesis Port :)

let me know

Ben

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  2. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

Duke Nukem 3D was released for the system. It uses the same/similar raycaster engine. The problem is not that the system couldn't handle it, but that how to manage the colors. 16 colors for walls and enemies is pretty limiting. The SNES used mode7 8bit pixeled tiles to overcome limited color on a single plane.

Duke Nukem get around this by using a 2 hardware pixel interleave for a single pixel. It cuts the resolution in half horizontally, but you gain additional sub colors only thanks to the real blurry output of the Genesis RF/composite. In RGB or SVIDEO mod, the game looks terrible without the filtering.

I like how the article considers raycasting as 'scaling' ;-)

3. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I think the reply you're mostly likely to receive is "do it yourself".

Anyway, I can confirm that Duke Nukem 3D on the Megadrive looks horrible. Plays horrible too. It should go without saying that it bears no resemblance to the PC game whatsoever. For a long time I thought it was a hack of Zero Tolerance, but apparently that isn't the case; I don't have ZT to compare, so I wouldn't know. It's atrocious, either way.

4. beyre

beyre Guest

where do i say "duke nukem 3d" i dont, duke 3D on the PC didnt use the wolf 3d engine, wolf 3d used it own engine, i was asking if any programers that wanted this is the genesis / megadrive we could colborate on doing it,wolf 3d was a basic game, so you wouldnt have textured celings, but that screen shot in the artical is of the megadrive version aclaim were going to release but never did for some reason

end of rant

Ben

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
  5. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

WRONG!!! That screen in the article is from the SNES version ( you can tell because there is no blood coming from the enemy that has just been shot, the article says that the gen version would have had blood ( the line " supposed to be just like the computer version" indicates that it would have had blood.)). Also, he never said you were talking about Duke3D, he was just using it as a reference point for what FPS games on the Gen/MD were like ( absolutely atrocious).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  6. beyre

beyre Guest

well ok so i stand corrected, but there is no need to be quite so rude, to people that might not know as much, but what people need to realise, is wolf 3d, was really a low / medium 3D game, which a genesis could do, Duke nukem on the other hand, was a more complex 3D Game,

and Doom, for the 32X aint a bad FPS, i think its well made, and if SEGA had made duke nukem for the MD they would of put it on a 32X and not megadrive cart like TECTOY did, its there programming / conversion that made the game look like a pile of crap, not the megadrive hardward as such

EOR

Ben

7. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

Isn't DN3d for Genesis really close to just being a bootleg game? Only Brazil and late into it's life right?

8. skavenger216

I wasnt trying to be rude, sorry if thats the way I came off. As far as the programming and/or conversion being why it looked like crap, i think thats about as good as your gonna get a FPS on the Genny. Look at Zero Tolerance, that game looked like utter shit too. While Wolf3D on MD/Genny would have been possible, it would have looked pretty shitty, IMO. At any rate, a FPS running on the Genny is a technical accomplishment in my eyes. I cant imagine it would be easy to get a FPS running on the genny, and still have it run smoothly enough to be playable on top of it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  9. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Calm the fuck down. You're getting cheetos all over your keyboard.

Any Megadrive programmers out there? Give this guy a PM. He wants to colborate.

10. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

Lmao!

oops, I got cheetoes all over the place. =(

11. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

yep. there goes my cheetos. all over me desktop. rats

12. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

The Duke3D on MD should be called Dukenstein3D, as it is it Wolf in gameplay, but with stuff from Duke :p

Duke3D has the fastest 3D engine on MD, it reaches even 20 or more FPS in some situations. It is not using an raycaster.
    Most featured FPS on MD is Zero Tolerance though, lot of fun stuff but its really slow. Bloodshot is even slower, but it has 2P mode :)

13. beyre

beyre Guest

1) Duke Nukem On Genesis = Pile Of Shite (We All Agree)

2) Doom (32X) = A Decent FPS For The Genesis 32X Combo

3) Wolfenstine would of looked / played decent if it had been released on a 32x cart if it was on a md cart, it would of possibuly and i mean possibuly looked ok, but would of ran slow on the 608080 (basicly a intel clone of the 8080 processor) according to many websites

4) I Dont Like Cheatos, but i wouldnt throw away good food anyway :p and i wasnt getting ratty, but when a forum member dosnt know as much as others its common courtsey to point them in the right direction, rather than abuseing them, anyway enough of that as the past is in the past

EOR

Ben

14. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

Duke3D on MD is really tough, nothing more... I've beat the game 2 times now :3

Doom 32X is better than Saturn Doom, and Wold3D on 32X could have been 1:1 to PC version (except music, which if GEMS was not used, will be better). There's no 608080 in any MD related thing, but a 68000, Z80 and a pair of SH2 in 32X.

15. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I'm genuinely impressed. How many levels are there? What happens in later levels? I die almost immediately. I had it down as one of those ridiculously, impossibly hard "pirate originals". Yes, I know Tectoy aren't pirate. You know what I mean.

Saturn Doom is unbelievable, really. Especially when you compare it to the PSX port. I have no idea how Sega let it get released, it's a joke.

I have no great desire to drag this out either, but the only reason I gave you shit was because you reacted so strongly to something that I had said with no offence implied or intended. Try to be a little less touchy, and read twice before you launch into a tirade next time.

16. beyre

beyre Guest

well applogy accepted, but its like emails, something's can get mis interpreted, the wrong way, and people over react, it can happen alot, as you dont have the tone of voice, as you do when you speek to someone, to judge there responce so i guess, i am sorry for my tirade as well

EOR

Ben

17. skavenger216

well i got bored at work today and decided to make a mockup of what wolf3d could have looked like on the genny, taking into consideration max colors on screen ( it was 64 at once on MD/Genny, right?) and resolution ( 320x224).

I did NOT do this to offend or piss anyone off, i just did it for shits and giggles, and yes it really would have looked this bad.

[​IMG]

18. beyre

beyre Guest

well i think it actualy looks quite good, if thats a actualy look alike if it was ported :) prehaps if we can get a dev group started, you could be the gfx artist?

just a thought

p.s would it look the same if it was 32x only?

Ben

19. skavenger216

Im no graphic artist, lol. all i did was take a pc screenshot and dropped the colors to 64 and the res to 320x224.

EDIT: And now that i think about it, that pic might have been a little bit generous. It might have actually looked a little worse than that, or even did what Zero Tolerance did and make the viewable game window take up a smaller potion of the screen. Im not a programmer or an expert on the Genesis so i really cant say for sure.

Also, A port on the 32X would have probably been an exact replica of the PC version. AFAIK the 32X was able to display somewhere in the area of 32,000 colors simultaneously, and other than the music the port of doom came out almost perfect, so i think a 32X Wolf3D would have been nearly identical to the PC version. Once again, im not a programmer or a Genesis/32X expert, so i cant say with 100% certainty.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  20. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017