Wiring help needed. RE: NES/NES Mini

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by LeHub, Jul 15, 2016.

1. LeHub

LeHub Spirited Member

I am in no way a practical techie so I need some help with an idea I've had. I may have actually found some use for the NES mini. I have a full size proper NES that is totally dead and I thought rather than trying to repair, paying for repair (inc shipping), discarding it or just keeping it as an ornament I could buy one of the otherwise pointless NES minis, wire in the old NES controller ports to the Wii compatable ports so I can use the genuine original controller, wire in the 2 buttons on the front which I think should be pretty straight forward and of course make any openings needed in the back for any new cables, though I'd use existing openings where possible. I would keep the inside aesthetically pleasing as I would wish to be able to open the full size NES (to show off) to be used as a storage case for accessories or perhaps, the future addition of an internal power pack. So, if there's anyone out there who wants to draw me a diagram or two that would be great! If I've not been totally clear here then please feel free to ask questions, please lay off the jargon and I look forward to your import. Cheers

2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I doubt you will be able to use the genuine original controller; unless you do some type of processing to the signal. I would just install an original nes style cable on the new wii-nes controller.

3. LeHub

LeHub Spirited Member

I did wonder about that, if an original controller didn't work for what ever reason the plan was to use the bluetooth/wireless stuff from 8bitdo.com. I will certainly keep your idea in mind although where possible I think I'd like to keep original working parts in one piece.

4. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Apparently since it uses the Wiimote controller ports, and the controller should work on regular Wiimote controls, in theory you might be able to use an adapter such as Raphnet's NES to Wiimote adapter to use a genuine NES controller on it.

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/extenmote/index.php

If it reportedly will work on regular Wiis, I'd imagine that the NES controllers that come with the NES Mini simply register as "Classic controllers".

Helder likes this.
  5. LeHub

LeHub Spirited Member

The problem there being: I want the exterior of the original NES to remain the same and the original ports to work as intended with the original controller. However I guess the adapter could be uses to bridge between the original NES port and the NES mini port? That is a great site though!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  6. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Yeah, you could try that.

And his site is awesome. I've built several adapters using his schematics.

LeHub likes this.
  7. LeHub

LeHub Spirited Member

Site is well and truly bookmarked! I can see it coming in very handy in the future for various reasons.