Windows 10 is Garbage.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by speedyink, Oct 2, 2017.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

The saving grace of ME was that XP quickly swooped in to replace it, and the world barely had to register that ME ever existed.

2. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

There was no reason to even release ME anyway considering that 98SE and 2000 were out. Maybe it was a way to test new features for XP?

rso likes this.
  3. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Well, there's the Microsoft Surface, Surface Book and Surface Studio. Of course you are free to choose your operating system of choice at home - but if you are using a work computer, HP/Dell/Acer/Lenovo/IBM all means you will use Windows because that's what your employer will buy licenses for. Windows is not my system of choice, I'd rather have Linux than Win10, too.

I recently had to replace my worn-out MBP 2011 keyboard with third party replacement and it cost me $25. Apple's original part used to cost a little under $100, I believe, and it's certainly of better quality, but my spare part also does the job.

But as for the price - you are paying for the brand, the design, but also for a level of quality and consistency in UX that is impossible to find elsewhere. Let's take trackpads and screens for example - I have used an HP, Dell and a high-end IBM laptop over the past three years, priced anywhere between $1500 and $3000 Dollars. Their screens are generally terrible (HP/Dell) despite the price tag of $1500, and only reach highend territory good when you pay Macbook Pro-money ($3000 IBM X1 Carbon).

Trackpads - everything but Apple has been little more than compromise to me. I don't even have a mouse at home anymore, but using a trackpad on a $3000 IBM laptop is still annoying and twitchy.
    The reason, I've been told, is actually rooted in the way Apple integrated the trackpad controls with their operating system while Windows does not integrate it as closely, resulting in less intuitive and reliable controls. It's not the hardware manufacturer's fault, but actually due to Microsoft's inability or unwillingness to solve it. This is supported by the fact that even the Surface Book has a trackpad which looks just like Apple's, feels just as good, but is still kind of tedious to use.

It's called "ClickLock", and it can be deactivated in the mouse settings.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-clicklock-mouse-button-window

I would not have useda Mac gesture because my $3000 laptop's trackpad is so bad, it's simply unusable. I read online that a certain button combination on Logitech mice may activate this "feature" by accident. It may just sound dumb but easy to solve once you know what it is, but imagine troubleshooting this crap when you have no idea why your mouse constantly sticks to different windows or keeps highlighting stuff randomly.

I used IME before, but it really is a pain in the butt compared to switching the whole language via custom command like in OSX. Also this doesn't let me type äüö. Here's a comparison table of the MS way and the OSX way of typing special characters, it really says a lot about their UX:
    [​IMG]

sp193 likes this.
  4. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

I haven't had many stability problems with Windows 10 myself (though this is not indicative of 10 across the board and I don't use my computer for more than gaming and web browsing). 8 was very inconsistent on running games, like bioshock and earthworm jim. It would sometimes play sound or not load certain textures, then the next update it might not work at all. 10 has not done anything that horrific (as of yet). But as I said, i'm extremely limited in this area of knowledge and only have my own experiences to run with. I could have been extremely lucky for what I use my computer for.

5. olig442

olig442 Member

long time windows user here but win 8 was the start of the true disappointment. that touchscreen GUI. what were they thinking. win 10 waists so much bandwidth as well as the annoying updates.
    the whole situation has forced me to use Ubuntu full time. Was scary in the beginning but am now a happy full time linux user. best OS ever made really. Regret not using linux earlier in my programming career.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Taijigamer2 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Win 10 waists? Sounds like you need a Microsoft Belt™. Sorry, I couldn't help making that comment.

I really like Linux. I would probably be using it if I weren't using macOS. I think I would rather use Fedora than Ubuntu, though.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  7. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

I've been happily using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 as my main OS on my laptop for over a year now, only reason I kept Win10 is for streaming and in case I need to use a specific program. I'm kinda dreading what will happen when I need to replace my Win7 gaming PC since I doubt Microsoft will have gotten their shit together by then.

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You know... I remember that Windows XP was once like that too (whereby it would suddenly reboot your PC to do updates, if you didn't cancel that prompt in time). That was SP1 or even the original Windows XP.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

You should try elementary OS, it's Ubuntu with a macOS feel. It's still kind of experimental, but it's improving fast.

10. speedyink

Really? I seem to remember the original XP made you do updates through internet explorer, as it was basically just a website at that time. Then SP1 (or was it 2?) brought the actual Windows update software. I don't ever remember it forcing a reboot, then again my updates were always set to manual.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You still updated via browser. But theres auto updates also, which ran separately.

12. speedyink

Thinking about updating via browser just brought back some old memories, holy crap!

13. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I remember those days. Windows update was fast too! D:
    Internet Explorer was still popular then (the horror!).

I think it was SP2. They changed how it worked later on, so it would always ask you to allow it to reboot or not (rather than running off on its own).

I remember that was 2008, when I sat in an office in my secondary school for counseling. The teacher talking to me wasn't paying attention to his PC screen, and Windows rebooted on its own to do updates...

speedyink likes this.