Windows 10 is Garbage.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by speedyink, Oct 2, 2017.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Me and this screen are becoming good friends now..

[​IMG]

Mainly because this screen has become ruthless. Seconds after I see my desktop boot I'm greeted with this now (it used to give me a couple hours).
    [​IMG]

So much fun

2. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I've been using Windows 10 for almost a year now and I haven't had any problems with updates like people are describing. In fact, I think Windows 10 is somewhat better than 7 about this, in certain ways. For example, 7 used to force you to install updates when you restart. 10 at least gives you the option to shut down or restart without installing updates. I've had more problems with my antivirus software.

If updates are a serious problem, you could just turn off automatic updates and install them manually yourself. (I think you can do that in 10)

3. speedyink

The option to shutdown without updating goes away after a few days. With this particular update if you leave your computer on another window will keep popping up randomly with a countdown timer with 30 minutes to restart. You have to be there to stop it or it will just do it. Trust me, Windows 10 is waaaay more invasive with updates then 7 was.

And no, you can't turn off automatic updates in Windows 10. I'd be fine if all they did was left that option alone and I could manage the updates still. But no, they really, really want to keep you updated...

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

To be clear, updates are a good thing, and people are terrible at doing them themselves, or at any kind of computer maintenance really. So mandatory updates aren't a bad thing.

It's just that Linux-style updates – that almost never require immediate reboots and never (I guess, I never saw that) require extensive installations before the next reboot – would be so much better.

PS: my current laptop uptime is around 20 days, and I probably did 10 updates since then…

5. Russticles

Russticles Member

I'm fine with Windows 10 for the most part but when your computer is downloading Windows 10 updates... do you find it cripples your internet? Seriously, if one of my computers on the network starts downloading Win10 updates, no other devices be it wired or wireless can browse or download anything. It'll either cause time outs on other devices on the network or it'll take an eternity for a page or whatever online content to load. I have to go into services.msc and stop the Windows Update service to return my network back to normal. Doesn't help that my ADSL connection tops out at 350k/sec download but it just seems to completely oversaturate my connection whenever the updates come down. If I download a random file on a computer then i can still browse (albeit a bit slowly) on other devices connected to the network but if it's an update, everything stops working.

The other funny thing is I chucked Windows 10 on my wife's Sony Vaio laptop, it's a 3rd gen i3, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 home key. I upgraded it to Win 10 via the upgrade path and it's been running fine ever since... until the 1709 fall creators update came out, which resulted in me having to roll it back to Windows 7! Basically 1709 will randomly freeze, normally within the first 10 mins of bootup... even in safe mode. I did several re-installs of that build, with or without all drivers, even avoiding connecting to the network so it can't download any drivers/updates... the thing still freezes. Event viewer doesn't tell me anything. I re-installed the original build of Win 10 and it no longer freezes! I don't get it., only running 1709 will it just randomly freeze. Chucked Win 7 back on it and it's been running fine ever since. So weird.

6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I guess you're right about automatic updates. Still, 7 was pretty annoying about updates, and 10 doesn't seem much worse to me. I use Windows for a specific purpose, though (gaming), so I don't use it in the way I would if it were my primary OS. I haven't ever had 10 interrupt a game because of an update. That did happen occasionally with 7.

I was using 7 for a long time. I ultimately ended up installing 10 because of DirectX 12.

macOS is better overall regarding updates, I think, though it can be annoying too. macOS at least doesn't ever force you to install updates (if you have automatic updates turned off), though the notifications are annoying sometimes. You can also hide an update if you don't want to install it.

7. Russticles

Russticles Member

Oh also Win 10 automatically actioning a restart after an update is fuckin' ridiculous! I don't like having downloads or video rendering stopped due to Windows forcing my PC to update in the middle of the night or while i'm out. Gimme a dialogue box to remind me to do it, don't just force my computer to reboot!

8. speedyink

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like they weren't, just in the specific case that a certain update was causing a crash being able to stop it till things got sorted would be nice.

Anyway, I may have just fixed all my problems. Fingers crossed!

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Unless things have changed, you can replace explorer.exe with something else. This was how the classic windows desktop mod for Windows 8 came about.

10. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Ah that's true. But I'm not sure how stable those kinds of mods were to be honest. I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't condone the use of them at least. I know for Linux, the functionality is baked right in so interoperability isn't much of an issue. I guess it comes down to one method being a unsupported workaround solution, while the other is perfectly fine and normal. But to each their own!

11. speedyink

Wow..Windows not updating until I physically tell it to.. Brings a tear to my eye

12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Does your router not have QoS? If not, then this is not very surprising IMO. Downloading a large update would be like downloading a large file. :|
    If you want (and if your router has the option to), you could try to throttle the maximum bandwidth for each device. I do that for my own PC, so that I don't cripple the Internet for my home, whenever I update a game on Steam.

Like I wrote, I don't know about now. But in the past, it was a Windows feature; you could edit a file to specify the shell (default was EXPLORER.EXE). Demo kiosks would use this feature.

One thing I really dislike about the multiple-desktop environments of Linux though, is how it seems like some apps will only run with a specific desktop environment. :|
    In Windows, the desktop is really just a program, but in Linux it seems to also include libraries that the app has to support.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

You can typically install the libs of another DE on your own. E.g. you can install KDE libs if you use the gnome DE, so you can use any programs that requires either. The reason for that is that the DE isn't just handling the Desktop UX, it's handling the whole GUI, drawing windows/button/login/status-bars/you-name-it. With no DE, you can only work in a fullscreen terminal. (Well, you could install a minimalist window manager UI, but let's keep it simple)

14. Russticles

Russticles Member

I have a TP-Link Archer D9 modem, it has QoS but i've never fully understood how it works nor really looked into it. I took a brief look at it back when I got the modem but I didn't like the idea of throttling bandwith of certain devices, especially when said devices could be used at anytime to stream or download large files. Is there any way to utilise QoS so it would only throttle the device down to say 100k/sec if it see's that device trying to download data from a particular site like a windows update server? I don't want to have to get into a thing of throttling a whole devices network on the off chance windows decides to download updates, or be at home to enable throttling should it happen and someone else on my network is texting me about the internet slowing to a crawl.

15. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Quality of Service (QoS) should prioritize certain types of network traffic over others. So while your network could be quite loaded, the right things should work in a timely manner.

I never knew how useful this was, until I replaced the D-Link router here with a TP-Link. The D-Link had QoS enabled by default, while the TP-Link is missing that feature.

I mean, that would be if your router has no QoS function, like my cheap TP-Link router. Mine has traffic shaping, but it isn't a application-specific thing (i.e. I can only limit the bandwidth of my PC). When I did it, I certainly suffered a loss... but at least the complaints stopped coming.

16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

17. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Over the years (since 2009), I got really used to Mac OSX. Ultimately, I would need a new computer sometime soon, so in my naive thinking I thought Windows 10 may be good now. It's been 8 years since my traumatic past, and surely Microsoft is better now than it used to be. Afterall, the increased market presence of Macs must mean they have to improve to a certain extent, and the entry into the hardware market with their fancy laptops should be supported by a decent OS.

Well, guess what. It's still fucking garbage. I find new things to complain about every single day, and no, it's not because of "user error", it's because Windows is a piece of shit that has utterly terrible UX. I am sure most people who used other OSs before know that, so I won't bore you with the details.

One minor example of my latest annoyance, however, is real gold. So all of a sudden, I notice that my mouse cursor gets stuck all the time, for example when I drag program windows around. Even worse, it would jump around when I'm writing something, always jumping back to where the cursor is after a few seconds.
    I originally replaced my work mouse to solve the issue because it's a cheap thing and I thought it was broken. But no! It's a Windows feature that fooled me :D Apparently, there's this shitty "function" where when you just click really quickly, the mouse button is registered as "holding"... and it's activated using an obscure button combination, a.k.a. so the user doesn't know when they accidentally activated that shit.
    I found out by googling it, and when I found other people with the same problem it turned out some of them had also already replaced their keyboards and mice. Absolutely horrendous! Who invents such garbage?
    The purpose of it according to the official MS website: "To comfortably move windows around and highlight text without having to keep holding down the left mouse button" What. the. fuck.

Also, Windows is a nightmare for anyone who routinely has to type different languages with the same keyboard. I use an English QWERTY-keyboard and type German, French and Japanese almost daily for fun and for work. Typing üöä on a Mac takes 2 simple keys, on Windows I memorize 3-digit codes for every fucking character, and the biggest joke is that the codes are different for the capitalized ÄÖÜ version!
    Wait, no, that's not even the biggest joke. That would be that this retarded way of typing special characters has not been simplified in Windows for over 30 fucking years! It's still the same as it was in the 80s. Can you believe that?

This thread is great, I really wanted to vent. Give me the choice between a $1500 Windows Laptop and a $3000 Macbook with the same specs, and the Macbook wins every time. I'm not an Apple fanboy, I really wanted to like Windows 10 for cost reasons, I really wanted it to be an alternative. But it's not, oh boy, it's so not.

[/RANT]

18. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

I too, wish they would improve. :|
    There was some rollback (metro is gone... somewhat), but the new UI is silly in places. For example, if you want to adjust your WiFi settings, you cannot update it from the Wifi List (you must click on an obscure link that brings up the OLD menu).

Personally, I am hoping that they will solve all these soon, particularly since it seems like their move into the phablet market has failed. Perhaps it is unlikely, but one can dream, I suppose.

There were never any Microsoft computers... right? :confused:
    So you're free to choose your OS (i.e. one of the many versions of Linux), just that Apple does not (normally) allow you to install their OS on anything that isn't a Mac.

The part that I really cannot accept about Mac, despite how good its UX might have ever been, is how their hardware seems overpriced. What exactly are you paying for? It's like they want you to buy their overpriced stuff, by giving you no choices.
    My other friend recently had a keyboard failure on his Macbook. They wanted $700 for repairs, while I only needed $15 to replace the keyboard on my Lenovo. Even if I were to hand my computer back to Lenovo for professional repairs, I doubt it would hit $700.

Can you link me to that? I'm curious to know what that feature is. Maybe it's something that you accidentally activated, with a Mac gesture?
    (Honestly, it sounds ridiculous to me too)

Don't the Microsoft IMEs spare you the need to memorize the UTF-8 codes? Those are UTF-8 codes, aren't they?

Whenever I type in Japanese on a US keyboard, I never had to enter any codes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  19. -=FamilyGuy=-

I don't know about Mac, but Linux has something called the compose key, which is a real blessing for special characters. Funnily enough, smartphones really shine when it comes to typing special characters (e.g. it's trivial to type φαβшябñπ¥±·₱).

20. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I suggest many of you go back to Windows ME.

Bad_Ad84 and Syclopse like this.