Windows 10 is Garbage.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by speedyink, Oct 2, 2017.

1. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

enough.png

HEX1GON likes this.
  2. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

According to that chart, 5.69% of systems still use Windows XP. Also, .01% are using OS X Leopard. Cool. About XP, a pretty large part of that number must be in systems that have limited functions and don't change much over time, like systems that run cash register software and industrial stuff. That, and I guess there must be some people who just love XP so much that they refuse to upgrade.

The oldest OS I have installed on any of my systems is Windows 98 SE.

In response to the OP, I think there are some good things about Windows 10, but overall I don't think it's the best OS. I wouldn't want to use it as my primary OS. However, it is pretty good for one thing: gaming - which is what I use it for. I use Windows 10 for gaming and macOS for everything else. I do think that Windows 10 is an improvement visually over previous versions of Windows.

I've gotten used to using macOS, and Windows never seems as good. It mostly has to do with preference and the kind of stuff I do with my computers. But I still use Windows for gaming, like I said before. I use the Windows 98 SE system I mentioned earlier for gaming too.

I haven't had any problems with Windows 10 since I've installed it, but I did have some problems when I was installing it. The Windows 10 installer has a problem that for some reason causes it to get stuck at a certain point if you're using an NVIDIA GPU. The fact that this issue exists seems pretty ridiculous. So, to install Windows 10, I had to physically remove my GPU and switch to the integrated graphics, and then it would install. I think I could have just disabled the GPU in the BIOS, but the other method worked.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    -=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  3. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Even for gaming Windows 10 sucks, whenever there's updates to be had anyway.

Again, another major update, another nightmare. So this big update came out recently, and like every other major update for me, it fails, I have to shut down the computer, and it has to recover to its restore point. Except with this update, it does this weird, pre-install thing, which of course being Windows 10 boots you out of whatever you're doing to tell you.
    So last night, I had friends over and we're playing a game. Windows boots us out of the game(mid freakin race) to tell me this update is now preinstalling. Now the game stops working. I try to start it again. The game would not freakin open for another 15-20 minutes while this crap installed. Then it opened fine, except stuck in windowed mode. I can't restart the computer to fix it, because then the update will continue to install for 10 or whatever minutes and then crash, resulting in even more wasted time while it restores, then just repeat the same damn thing anyway. So we played in god damned window mode for the night.

I think I actually have to revert back to Windows 8 on this computer, because whenever a major update comes out (which is rather frequent apparently) it renders my computer an unusable mess. In a couple weeks it eventually installs and all's good..until the next major update. What a pain in the ass, I really don't want to have to revert and reinstall everything, especially since I'll have to figure out a new license and all that..

4. Rocky

Rocky N64 Fanatic

Y'all need to get LTSB.

speedyink likes this.
  5. speedyink

I really wish I'd heard of this version sooner. That sounds exactly like what I need. Now I gotta figure out if I can get it..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Have you ever tried reinstalling Windows or even contacting Microsoft for professional help? I know it's irritating that it tries to install updates on its own (particularly when you have a single-disk PC), but I have never seen it crash running programs before...

7. speedyink

I did reinstall Windows a while ago because I thought maybe it was the upgrade causing my problems. Haven't contacted Microsoft, that sounds painful. It does seem to be an issue others are having, I'm just one of the lucky ones. I'm thinking maybe I need Windows 10 Enterprise or something now, the better control of updates sounds awesome to me (or even LTSB sounds awesome).

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

There's also patch Tuesday, so you can eyeball when new updates come out (and if necessary, to run Windows update to let it finish its business before doing anything important).

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You can also set quiet hours, so it only reboots in the middle of the night.

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Is there any way to completely block auto-updates? I'm asking because we'll get a new computer with some new equipment in my lab, and it'll have Win10. It'd be a shame if some long-running measurements are ruined because of intempestive updates.

Right now we can postpone them repeatedly using Win7.

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Block windows update URLs
    Dont connect to internet
    Set GPO object: Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Configure Automatic Updates - Disabled

12. -=FamilyGuy=-

What if we still want to update, but on our schedule? I might have to write a script to enable or disable them when acquiring data.

We'll certainly have windows pro if that matters.

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Probably work with PSWindowsUpdate powershell script.

The disabled GPO object I think only disables auto update. So may well work manually too.

14. speedyink

Does this work on all versions of 10 or just Pro/Enterprise?

15. Syclopse

Syclopse .

upload_2018-1-21_13-7-19.png

Isn't this already a thing?

16. speedyink

It's a half assed band-aide if anything. My computer is off unless I want to watch/listen to something or play a game, which isn't every day. It's a computer hooked up to my TV to consume media, I don't want to leave it on 24/7 just for updates. If I could just manually update when convenient like I always did with Windows 8 and previous I'd be happy.

17. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

10 was way better than 8 and league better than 8.1. When I bought a computer with 8 on it, I wanted to sell it back immediately. Trying to navigate a tablet friendly system using mouse and keyboard is frustrating and the near 2 a day updates for months staight was infuriating. That, and 8 would crash constantly and would always use 20% cpu processing at all times (for me, I don't know if it was isolated or not). 10 isn't great, and I still prefer 7, but it is a step in the right direction.

18. speedyink

I completely agree, 8 and 8.1 pissed me off with all the gui changes. However, it was an extremely stable and efficient OS, running very well on old single core computers (I even recall thinking it was even more efficient than Windows 7). I'd rather have my computer stable then have the more traditional UI 10 has. 7 Is still my favorite, but it lacks some of the newer features 8 has which I've grown used to.

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

I still can't fathom why windows locks people into a fixed single desktop environment.

20. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

I totally agree. When Vista rolled around, I went to Linux and never looked back. Loads of desktop environments to choose from and you can switch between them at will (Some heavy weight - more CPU/GPU, some super lightweight - less CPU/MEM).

Now I only keep a minimal partition with Windows 7 installed purely for games. Everything else, I boot into Linux.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.