Windows 10 is Garbage.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by speedyink, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Oh, so to be able to use Linux, I need to use Linux and run a Windows VM - rather than just run Windows? and even then, I still cant do everything I could have done just by running Windows directly?

Well that sounds totally reasonable, im sold.

No device drivers for my expensive programmer or my BGA rework station. Those are just the things directly in front of me right this second. I am sure there are plenty more if I turn around and look behind me.

Also, hasp dongles and the software they are required for is another.

In work - all the software written to setup the industrial machinery I work on - Windows only too.

Know which way round works for me? Run Windows and use Bash on Windows, Cygwin or a VM for the very rare thing I want to do on *nix. Which is almost never.

I wont be told that Linux works better than Windows. When its completely use case related. A hammer works great on nails, but I dont say its great for screws. OS choice is the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    HEX1GON, keropi and speedyink like this.
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I agree with you that the choice of OS depends solely on the user and its need.

The VM and wine is only if you really need Windows. I only use an XP VM for testing stuff on nulldc.

Beside very specific activities, like yours, the is you use don't really matter.

I'm really surprised that there would be no drivers for your programmers, a corporate deal with Microsoft maybe? That's a great way to force people in industry to install Windows rather than any other OS.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

In tech, Science, and engineering, Linux is everywhere. I've seen clean room machinery controlled by a pc running Suse in a VM under XP, I guess there's are no way around those kind of issues in the modern software landscape.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I work in a lot of aerospace places, no linux.

Anyways, I will stop ranting now. :)

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

I think we both agree anyways. If you have a need for an OS or another, then it's the right one for you. Passed that, it's user preferences.

I happen to like the total control of Linux, even if it means I can break my system easily if I want to.

7. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

What you say reflects that:
    - You don't use your computer much,
    - Working for a long time in a field doesn't mean you are good; I once had to learn to a guy who was running a professional printing shop for twenty (20!) years how to install a font file on a computer,
    - Your use of CAPS shows a lot of immaturity.

Now, I don't care about use and all. OSes are like cars: some are better than other because of the technology they use. You can perfectly be happy with your Dacia and never feel the need for a Porsche (and there's nothing wrong with that), but a Dacia will never be as good as a Porsche. That's a fact, just like UNIXes are better than Windows, because their technical choices are better from the start. This is not a subjective question, it is something that rely on technical facts.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yes, I'm terrible at my job and I don't use a computer much because I point out *nix is useless for what I do. Obviously that's it.

Typical *nix elitism. Well done sir.

Next you will be telling me I'm doing my job wrong, when you don't even know what it is.

If *nix works for you, awesome. It doesn't work for everyone for everything, which is fact.

I've worked with Linux servers. I've done top level Mac certifications. I've tried Linux as a full time desktop OS. I package old games for Linux and osx as part of a contract I have (think like Gog).

But, I use Windows because its the only one that does everything I need. Is that a vendor lock in issue? Probably. But I really don't care. That makes it the best for me, no matter what technical improvements *nix has on paper.

Many gamers would also agree *nix is no good to them, whether it's technically capable of playing modern games on paper or not. Real world isn't so black and white.

keropi likes this.
  9. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

Windows is all over the place in manufacturing due to longstanding proprietary software used in design and machine communication (Mastercam, Solidworks, etc). Hurco mills run a variant of Windows these days.

An XP-era computer is good to keep around for communicating with legacy machines and tools (working CNC machines with serial com and Win3x/9x-era software).

Generally speaking, Linux seems to be avoided at all costs until it is absolutely needed. It shines nicely for intensive detail work and for otherwise unavailable functionality - when you need something hyper-custom and on a budget with enough applicability to justify all the time and energy involved in building it. Windows is undoubtedly the go-to of choice for convenience, versatility, and available functionality in this regard.

keropi likes this.
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Pretty much spot on.

I still have to service machines running dos. I had to get an IBM ps/2 running again as the interface card for the machine it was controlling was MCA.

I still see windows nt machines in service.

There's no Linux version of things like pcdmis or delcam. But apparently the factories that use these things to make all the parts of the aeroplanes you use should scrap it all and put *nix in, when the software doesn't exist.

11. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.15]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Syclopse>bash
    root@DURANGO:/mnt/c/Users/Syclopse# sudo apt-get install wine
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation

doh.

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Installing WINE on Windows would actually be useful in certain circumstances. Like 16 bit Windows apps on x64.

There was a project to port it, but it didnt seem to finish unfortunately.

13. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I should know better not to let off steam about certain things (android and apple, xbox and playstation, windows and linux)
    I just miss having a very stable, non invasive operating system. Like, thanks for booting me out of a game mid level to remind me to install an update that crashes my computer anyway.

-=FamilyGuy=- and Syclopse like this.
  14. -=FamilyGuy=-

Wouldn't wine on bash on Windows allow it? I see it doesn't seem to be possible right now, but it might be easier to make it work than a straight port.

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Maybe. the port was before the whole bash on windows thing.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  16. -=FamilyGuy=-

My old Vista install committed suicide by updates. In an airport, ~5% battery left, trying to work as much as possible before my flight. Trying to shutdown just before boarding, it persisted to install the update, lost power whilst doing so, and corrupted the OS.

Felt like a Catch 22. Can't update until you reboot, can't reboot until you update.

17. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Definitely frustrating, you think they'd have a fail safe (Umm, maybe don't auto update with 5% remaining?)

At least with Vista you could turn them off and do updates manually.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  18. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

All of that nonsense and still out of the point. Typical Windows illiteracy.

19. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

20. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

[​IMG]