Windows 10 is Garbage.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by speedyink, Oct 2, 2017.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I'm really sorry, I have to rant..

Why is Windows 10 so damned flawed and buggy? I have never had so many issues on any version of Windows before this (and I used Vista during its whole life cycle).

Current issue: So there's a big ass Windows update. Again. Fine whatever, except oh, instead of just installing properly, it crashes to some blank screen after an hour or so! Fun! Ok, maybe it was a fluke. It restores to before the update, I let it reboot and chill. Ok, try again. Same damn thing, except the blank crashed screen was bright green! It's not me being impatient either, both those times it had 8 hours to install while I was at work.
    Ok, fine, I'll just turn off automatic updates, oh wait, I CAN'T.

Not to mention that DAMN thing where the explorer file manager loves to reset every 30 seconds. Scrolling through a long list trying to keep track of multiple things? Well fuck you while I send you back to the top of the list while you're half way through selecting stuff. How the hell does this sort of shit get past testing? For years?

Why is it so bad? I've even reinstalled Windows 10 fresh on this computer, this isn't an upgrade. Windows 7/8 were just so stable, I miss it so much..

Ok I'm done for now.

DSwizzy145 and james2452 like this.
  2. notataco64

notataco64 Rapidly Rising Member

Does 10 give those dumbed-down "something happened" crash reports like Windows 8 did?

Looks like it might, but maybe it was just upgrades from W8/8.1
    [​IMG]

ItsMeMario likes this.
  3. MoonDog

MoonDog Robust Member

Lmao, Windows 7 64-bit is the end of the line for me thank you very much.

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I've been using Windows 10 since the leaks had first began (same applies for Windows 8, get over it ya babies its not that bad) so I have a good amount of experience under my belt. This includes an update with a bug that made the whole thing unusable (looping crash/restart of explorer.exe. Had to run everything from task manager)

There's a few things that have changed since Win7/8 I want to say are really REALLY needed changes for the better
    1) Windows Updates
    No I'm not talking about the forced updates. I'm talking about the system automatically being able to detect what hardware you're running and giving you the proper driver (for the most part) for your system. Over the years this one has been a huge pain in the ass for people. Display driver not what it should be? No problem. The first time I saw Windows automatically fix a display driver on a clean install without needing a reboot along with other automatically applied drivers blew my mind. The updates, while seemingly only breaking printers for some reason each milestone update, have gotten a lot better than previous editions of windows.

2) Start Button
    I shouldnt have to explain this one. Not a drastic change from windows 7. It's a very easy to understand change that also mixes the changes made in win8 with the Metro UI. Using the Metro UI without easing up to it caused people to be upset. I can see this changing if windows 10 had dropped first.

3) Universal Windows Platform
    I'll admit, it's not perfect but it does have some good stuff going for it. With all these platforms out in the open all with different ways of doing the same thing, having a single unified development environment and target platform is insanely important (except apple, they dont do it right outside of apple made applications). Want to build your application to run on an Xbox One? Windows Phone? WIndows 10? ARM X86 and X64 supported? Perfectly fine. Go for it.

4) Bash, Linux, Open Source
    Microsoft has been insanely kind to Linux the past few years. New Skype version? You mean a version thats newer than 4.2 like it has been for how long? Oh it's just mobile skype on a desktop? You know what that's fine since that 3 separate window version was awful so literally any new skype version is preferable.
    Bash on windows. Not perfect but the idea that you would no longer need something like cygwin or a whole dedicated Linux partition is a big deal. Microsoft as we know them is not usually a company to be supporting something like this especially to the degree that it has been.
    upload_2017-10-3_1-3-55.png

5) Direct X12
    Yeah that's all I got. It's bretty good.

Now obviously the bad part, since not all good has come from this
    1) Telemetry (Xbox One and Windows phone included)
    Oh man where to begin on this. Data collection, Spying on the users, even the start menu is just a small HTML based browser that sends any action you do to various Telemetry IPs. Change your settings? Data sent. Typing words? Data sent. While some people think this is all crazy talk, I'll personally vouch for this being a thing as this is part of what was used to get my visit from the DoJ.
    The services that run to keep this going are often times hugely impacting system resources and responsiveness. I have found on multiple occasions my disk and cpu usage will be maxed out from these services while the system is idle or being used (disk is a clever one. It will be indexing the disk to near 100% constantly while away, and the moment any human interfacing begins it stops on the spot as if it never happened). I'm all for requesting anonymous statistics and data from users, but having it hardcoded into the system where even the most painstaking efforts to disable block remove or stop it aren't working entirely then we got an issue. For example, one telemetry IP required to allow Skype to function will cause it to forever try connecting you online if the IP is blocked. The home on skype uses a different IP (the one that manages status updates) so if you block the wrong one, a whole application is useless.

2) One Drive
    This right here has driven me insane. It will be shoved in my face, running at all times, and will not stop. It has a huge impact on system resources no less. You cant remove it, you cant disable it (unless you run some scripts). Offering cloud storage is fine. Shoving it in my face ever time I open up a file manager is not.

3) Defender
    Trigger happy as usual, that's about it here.

4) Errors
    We've all see them, there's some genuinely bad error screens on win10. The blue screen with a :( really gets my blood going. Yeah it's more friendly to see than other blue screen errors but it's almost insultingly played down now.

5) Updates
    You thought I was done didn't you
    Another feature of telemetry is after some time your system will start applying updates during your inactive hours. Hours where you're asleep, away from the system for 3+ hours at a time. This can be seen as a good thing depending on who you are and what you do, but to others this is a huge issue. If you're constantly using it, you have no time for an update should it impact your workflow. Eventually, and I have experienced this myself, you will lose the ability to say "restart later", forcing an update whether you like it or not. In said cases like this you have 3 options. Update every time an update is available, allow inactive time to update anyway, or wait til you're forced. Your only way to freedom is to run some scripts to stop updates altogether, but then you must update anything you want manually, and run these scripts again.

6) Bloat
    The prepackaged bloat is genuinely awful but there's not much you can do about it unless you use something like LTSB but then you lose Bash, Windows Store (i mean its bad depending on what you do/need) and some things that can be seen as good. Also Driver support on LTSB is a little unstable more than Pro as I've learned using it for about a year now.

I can complain about things all day. Windows 10 has plenty for me to complain about but it also has stuff I like that is fairly nice. Telemetry needs to go. End of Story.

MBMM and port187 like this.
  5. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Still using Dos 6.22 here, way better than all those modern things like Windows 3.1 and what not. What would I even use a mouse for when I have my trusty IBM keyboard? Anyone up for a round of bingo? I heard today every winner gets a free carrot cake. ;)

6. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

DOS 6.22 has everything you need.

-Internetbrowser
    -email
    -Videoplayer/Flashplayer/Youtube
    -MP3 Player
    -USB Stick support
    ...etc.
    -great games ! :'D

Though, I disabled Windows 10 updates. Completely.

7. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Linux FTW, or Windows 7 for gaming

8. begallegal1

begallegal1 Spirited Member

THIS ↑↑↑↑

9. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Oh you want to do [literally anything]?
    Cool we get a copy of [literally anything]

I'll give credit where it's due. If someone has something they shouldn't, they'll know. In my case DR4 had it's own form of telemetry which wasn't blocked which then sent information to both MS and Capcom. Seeing as this is useful for watching who is and is not authorized to handle X data it has its purpose (and is quite practical these days)

10. begallegal1

begallegal1 Spirited Member

Yea I can see the useful sides of this also, but in general I am not a fan of data collection. Not only is it easy to use in an unethical way, but for me it is more concerning of what can come from us teaching computers how to "human" through this data. (Not trying to go all Terminator Skynet on you guys or anything LOL)

11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Might I suggest the Adnauseam extension if this were to be the case?

The concern I have is how much data it is. Should it have been several exponential degrees less invasive I might have looked the other way.

begallegal1 likes this.
  12. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I have no real issues with W10. However, upon boot my Start Menu refuses to open, along with Notifications. I have to restart my PC as killing explorer and running it again does fuck all.

Apart from that issue, I quite like W10 a lot. Bought it on release, and one thing I like the most about it is that if you wipe your OS drive by mistake like me (lol) the key is on your MS account. :)

13. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Classic Shell. Go install it.

14. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

I've tried Windows 10 with a few tweaks (classicshell, disabling lock screen background) on my Thinkpad and ended up dual booting it with Ubuntu MATE 16.04 which I prefer as my daily driver. My gaming PC still has Windows 7 and I intend to keep it that way until I replace it.

15. notataco64

notataco64 Rapidly Rising Member

I'm only asking you oldheads to give Windows 98 SE one chance. Don't be afraid of the future, it will change your life.

DOS is still there.. I doubt you'll even need it

MBMM and keropi like this.
  16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Migrating to Linux about five years ago was probably the best computer-related decision I've ever made. I managed to skip Win8 and Win10 completely! I went the hard way and I have no Windows partition, only wine and an XP virtual machine for some rare stuff that requires it. The lab I'm in has Win7 on its computers though, nothing I can really do about that.

The only downside is that it takes me much more efforts to fix other's PC than before, because I know nothing about Win10 and have to research anything I want to do.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    rso likes this.
  17. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I guess I should have mentioned, I was basically a pioneer of every Windows OS since XP. I was keeping up with the concepts, and builds (holy shit some Longhorn concepts were amazing). I started using Vista I believe 6 months before release. I guess my computer was fairly decent (A whopping 1.5gb of Ram, bitches), so it ran well and I never had a problem with it. I loved the new Aero style. Same thing for Windows 7, definitely was pioneering that one before release. Windows 8 I never used, until I bought a new computer with it already on there. It was annoying having to relearn to how get to certain things, but at least it was rock solid stable and snappy as hell. Naturally, I was excited as for Windows 10. Learning about the new style with a Start menu (YES) and that it would be free was even more cool. Then I got it.

Ok I didn't actually hate it right away. I was giving it a fair chance, after all, I love all new Windowses. First thing started to annoy me, sluggishness. On my 8 core SSD toting gaming computer it was fine, but on my HDD equipped laptop there was a huge difference from Windows 7. Things all happened with a delay, start menu, right click, opening windows, most things. The HDD was basically thrashing around most times, bottlenecking the system, doing what I don't know. Also, the wifi refuses to connect unless I "troubleshoot problems"... on every single boot.

Then I started noticing all the stuff happening on my Desktop computer. At the time, I was getting lots of crashes on boot. Turn on the computer, all is fine. The moment I click on anything, hard freeze. I would often lose video signal after display went to sleep, causing me to have to reboot. Certain games I used to play no longer work on 10. Some of this has been fixed over the updates, but they can't ever seem to get things quite right. Updates especially, I don't know why the hell certain updates just hate installing, this definitely isn't the first time.

Oh man, the work computer. I'm in charge of the computer at work, and while it wasn't a plethora of problems, it did have one serious problem that actually forced me to downgrade back to Windows 7 (after the 30 day trial of course, yay full on format reinstall!). Basically the whole system would freeze for 20 seconds or so a couple times a day. This wouldn't be the end of the world I guess, but this computer plays back music for the store. When it froze, we were treated to the grating sound of electronic garbage (imagine the same 1/100th of a second repeating extremely quickly). It started after some random Windows update and I let it go for a couple months hoping another update would fix it...nope.

I get the draw to Windows 10. DX12 is nice, being able to cleanly 'reinstall' Windows is a fantastic idea, and I do like the style and animations. I also love the amazing boot times with an SSD, oh and the new task manager is so informative I love it. There are glorious moments to it, but I miss the rock solid stability I've been used to since Windows 7. It's just not there.
    Oh yeah, and I like actual control over my computers, soooo yeah, there's those parts of 10 I don't get along with.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  18. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

No sugoi for me

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Rest in pepperoni

20. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

So far my experience with Windows 10 has been good. But windows updates are disabled to where I get to choose when to update. So no random reboots in the middle of the night.