will the retron 5 work with everdrive units?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by coal stepping, Sep 23, 2013.

1. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 Insane redneck retro gamer...

USing a flashcart on an emulator is rather pointless. It's like using an Everdrive on a Retrode to play on a PC emulator. Why? Just boot the ROM directly from the PC. With the RetroN5 being Android based you can bet there will be a hack that allows for loading of ROMs from the SD card. Android is known inside and out in terms of how it functions. Making the hack will be nothing for a decent developer or Android hacker. Getting it flashed should be easy too since it has the SD card slot.

2. coal stepping

coal stepping Site Supporter 2014

You have remember the average cosumer isn't as tech savy as we are, this is great for someone that has a masters in psycology ect and can't make stuff. Being an engineer dosnt make us the most brilliant just part if the human civilization.

3. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

I don't see why everyone is saying using Everdrives on the Retron5 is pointless!, to me it's not. Imagine if you could have your Everdrive nes, megadrive, and snes carts plugged into the Retron 5, you would never have to remove the carts and just would be a portable device that can play 1000's of game what's pointless about that?

Hopefully some bod with be able to hack the retron5 so you can play Roms from the sd card, and this might actually bring PC-Engine support to the Retron5. I know u can get emulators on PC like RetroArch that can do this already and maybe better but there's just something about having this dedicated small device that plays all the classic game and the fact that you can use original controls with it is even more appealing.

The whole reason I got all the Everdrive carts is so I don't have to keep going to my retro games shelfs and swapping out the carts on my console and in turn every time I do this I'm slowly damaging the package of these games (especially Nintendo games) and the systems, with the Everdrives I can just dump all my Roms on to the sd card and just leave the cart slotted into the console for eternity, now if I can combine this with the retron5 even better!

4. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

No, it is pointless. Why use the EverDrive at all when they software on the Retron5 could be hacked/modified to just support loading roms off USB storage? Flash carts are meant for loading games on the original hardware.

5. blotter12

blotter12 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

To me it is pointless because of the money involved. Why spend all this money on the ED & the retron for the same effect as just playing roms on a computer I already have?

ED & retron have their uses, but together? I don't know. I'd rather spend that money on original hardware/games.

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

If you really want a small cheap energy efficient retro emulation machine, buy a second-hand/refurbished Wii. Cheap and simple!

Furthermore you're then assuming your inner pirate instead of lying to yourself using 7 layers of cloned stuff to play pirated roms.

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Imagine doing all that, but without needing the flash carts. Thats what you will be able to do and why it's pointless.

8. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

using a retron with fash drives? you could use emulators from begin with as well!

9. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

From what I can see, the Retron 5 is a little computer + a Retrode built in. And now you want to buy a Flash card for it. Why bother?

It's like buying a Retrode, so you can buy a Flash Card to connect to it, so you can play 1000s of games on a single card without swapping. Except, you could have just added a folder with all your games, pointed your emulator to it, and called it a day.

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The most expensive sd-card to usb adapter ever!