will the retron 5 work with everdrive units?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by coal stepping, Sep 23, 2013.

1. coal stepping

coal stepping Site Supporter 2014

Title says it all

2. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Oooh yeah. Buy cart -> Dump cart to file -> Copy file to SD -> Copy from SD to Everdrive memory -> Copy from Everdrive memory to Retron memory -> Play emulated ROM. Ladies and gentlemen: That's EFFICIENCY!
    (Also: Yo dawg, I herd you like emulation, so I stuck a cart emulator onto your console emulator, so you can pretend to have the real hardware while you pretend to have the real hardware.)

Ahem. Back on topic. Yes it will, at least I can't see why it wouldn't. The R5's compatibility is probably roughly comparable to a Retrode; paired with an Everdrive it might even be a bit better, afaik there's some carts a Retrode can't dump due to mapper issues, which would not apply when reading from an Everdrive.

3. coal stepping

Yo dawg,I tottaly read that with xzibits in mind :D. Thanks looks like ill be picking up some everdrives and a retron 5 when it comes out.
    Going to give them to a shorty who likes retro gaming she will pretty much "have to" lol.

4. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Actually, it's quite likely the EverDrive will not work with the Retron 5. The EverDrive doesn't function like any normal commercial game cartridge, which is what the Retron 5 will be expecting/designed to use.

And officially the EverDrive line generally doesn't promise compatibility with clones at all.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. coal stepping

Hmm. any possible alternatives for the everdrive units? Not including real carts of course.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  6. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 Insane redneck retro gamer...

Only ones I know of is the Powerpak that probably won't work and one from a russian site known as ramfactory. The russian one isn't out yet so I don't know.

7. coal stepping

Well it seems ill have to lurk some sites and forums after the retron 5 launch for information. Thanks everyone for your input. :)

8. rso

...Or you could wait for the inevitable hack that'll allow you to just copy the files to the Retron itself, bypassing the cart slots. At which point you basically have sth like an Ouya, only with gamepad ports.

9. coal stepping

That would be great!

10. MottZilla

It might not even be a hack, maybe they'll include the ability to load/save files via USB storage. It would actually make the device semi-useful for backing up cartridges to your PC.

11. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

If you're not too bothered about using cartridges then if you mod an original XBox (or more likely buy a used one that is modded, as they're very cheap now) then you can use it as an emulation machine, and it has great emulators for almost every 8 and 16 bit machine, and of course you get the advantages of emulaton, such as being able to play all regions, snapshot save/loading, being able to play game-hacks, etc. And if you put a larger hard drive in (it's just a standard IDE drive, most off the shelves drives work, mine is a 500GB) then you can run all emulators and roms from the hard drive. And many of the emulators support extras such as video preview (shows you a video when you highlight the rom in the file selector), cheat support, fast forward or rewind functions, etc. And unlike with real consoles like the SNES or NES, the emulators support all mappers/in-cartridge-chips/etc, so you can play any game on the emulator.

You can also, of course, play all XBox games on it, run Linux, and use the XBox as a media centre (for everything except Blu-ray (no BR drive, of course) or high-definition video (the XBox's CPU is too slow, but it's fine for low-def, such as DVD resolution), it really is fantastic solution, provided you don't mind emulation. Some people say emulation doesn't 'feel' right, which is fair enough, each to their own. But personally I don't see a problem, and if you don't, then a modded XBox might be just what you want.

For details see

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=524593

http://xbox-scene.com

12. Hedgeyourbets

Hedgeyourbets Dauntless Member

Well the retron is just an emulator with cartridge slots isn't it? So aside from not being able to use original cartridges (which the OP doesn't want to do anyway) I don't see a massive difference and the original xbox controller looks nicer to hold than the retron 5 controller.

13. MottZilla

Yes, the Retron is an emulation machine. However it does have controller ports for original controllers. It also has HDMI support. However I too would prefer to use a modded Xbox. One thing that may happen, the Retron may end up being able to play ROMs from USB storage. It's possible you could even dump your own cartridges with it and save them. But only time will tell.

14. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 Insane redneck retro gamer...

I agree completely. Having the ability to dump carts would be a plus. Many of us here have carts of prototypes and such that haven't been dumped yet so having this could help with that.

15. coal stepping

I still have a modded dream box with an extender kit( 3 hard drives)workers great. Only issue is those emulators have not been updated in a reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy long time.

16. rso

I'd say that's not too much of an issue, unless you've got many games on your list that actually have problems with those old versions. Also, RetroArch is adressing that, isn't it? Granted, they only have support for a handful of systems so far, but I think they're on the right way. (Their GUI controls are horrible though.)

I'd recommend using something else for emulation though, because the XBOX is huge, runs pretty hot, and worst of all is pretty loud - while ARM/Android devices do not have those issues (with homebuilt HTPCs, ymmv). Also, you have free choice of controllers, and HDMI outputs.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  17. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Great then hopefully we can play PC Engine games on it as well if that happens!

18. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Will SD2SNES work with RetroN5 you think? Cuz I'm planning on buying one this holiday soon ;)

19. MottZilla

No. The only flash cartridges that might work are the ones that behave exactly like original cartridges. Meaning a flash cartridge that requires an additional programming device/connection to be programmed with a single game at a time. Those devices will probably work with this RetroN5. But all your EverDrives, PowerPaks, SD2SNES, etc. will not work.

20. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Using flashcarts with emulator (which retron is) is kinda strange idea - main purpose of those units is to play original cartridges when you don't have original consoles. If you got roms - just use Snes9x, bsnes, Mednafen (Mednafen and bsnes is almost the same thing, when it comes to SNES emulation, difference is - Mednafen is CLI-only but got much more features like archive support, rewind, ability to map multiple physical controllers to same emulated device etc.) - any of them will give you better emulation.