Wii2HDMI insides

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mord.Fustang, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Theoretically it could if you had the component cables for the Gamecube, then connected the component from that to the HDMI converter, but they're like $200 for some reason. Might as well just use a Wii for cost-effectiveness.

That's really cool. I can't see any schematics, though. Nor can I read what it says. I'll use Google Translate and check it out later.

2. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

I didn't word my post well, I meant that maybe the Wii2HDMI could be modded to work with the GCN, not that other converter.

I'm not too savvy about this on a technical level, but I would guess the signals from the component out port on the GCN would be similar to that from the Wii, you'd still have to take audio from the GCN Multi port of course.

I make so few smart investments as far as gaming goes, but I actually bought the GCN component cable for $25 bck when no-one cared about it, I keep wondering if I should sell it before someone finally reverse-engineers it.

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

It's already been reverse engineered into a FPGA called GC-Video. They aren't being produced in any real quantity yet but I know of someone working on it right now. I just sold my component cable last week for $250 after acquiring it for $50. My suggestion is to sell now and not worry about it possibly gaining much value because you already have an incredible ROI right there.

Mord.Fustang likes this.
  4. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

Good Info, thanks. Guess I just freed up another component slot.

5. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

I remember when a few years ago these Wii2hdmi things cost $20.
    Now I actually might buy one.

6. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

It has some problems deinterlacing difficult signal.
    Look here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f291/hd...-lets-find-out-109365/index2.html#post1029127

Basically it has problems with interlaced games which have lower resolution framebuffer. 512x384 for example.
    Actually I saw such artefacts on monitor (with component input) scaler too, but to lesser extent.

Forcing 480p in GSM elimenates this problem.

And I think there is a way to switch this adapter to RGB input mode.

7. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Interesting information. Wonder if someone can actually make it better, adding features like scanlines?

I bought the thing mostly because it was really cheap but also because it's getting impossible to find decent component cables, be it Sony branded or not. I've been looking for a "backup" with no success.

A friend of mine bought 3 of those unbranded Component cables and all had issues, probably because of the cheap wiring and connectors.

8. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

It's always better to make cables yourself from a good VGA cable or several coaxial cables.

9. DragoonC

DragoonC Spirited Member

i have some pictures around too...where are they...ah here they are !

both are upscaler for Wii

DSCN4397.JPG wp_20150102_005ziscr.jpg wp_20150102_008aisrv.jpg

CodeAsm likes this.
  10. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Got the black one in the mail a few weeks ago, haven't taken pics till now. This one says "FullHD 1080p" which is a lie (I don't need an upscaler, but they shouldn't write that on it when it's BS). Does not upscale. TV still reports 480p resolution. Works fine though just like the other one and I haven't had any issues at all. This one was US$9.60 on eBay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main components:
    Edit: Following the link on the PCB, this is the product page:

http://www.gaia-vision.com/?Product/HDMI-Converter/Product391/902.html

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  11. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

how did you open without damaging the casing? nice work!

12. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

FYI for Gamecube i use the Japanese Data cable, convert that to VGA and use a VGA to HDMI and it looks great. too bad the data cables are also expensive.

13. Jarrah White

Jarrah White Rising Member

Sorry to bump up this old thread, but I've a question about modding the Wii HDMI adapter. I had been using the Wii2HDMI for the longest time, but recently I learned it was a cheap knockoff of an adapter that actually DID upscale the image to 1080p. The Lenkeng LKV6000-mini.
    http://www.lenkeng.hk/product/Game_Converter/WII_Converter/lenkeng83.html

I purchased one of these devices, and it upscales the picture beautifully. But it has the same problem as my old Wii2HDMI - it doesn't support Virtual Console games that don't support the Component AV Interlace Mode. My main use out of the Wii is an emulation device for digital releases of retro console games that I purchased through the Virtual Console store. When I first started playing these things, I just got a black screen. I then learned that the games output at 240p and unless your TV supports this resolution you need to enter a code to bump the resolution up to 576i.

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that Castlevania for the NES doesn't support the Component AV Interlace Mode. It means if I want to play Castlevania, I need to swap out the HDMI adapter with the old AV cables. It's becoming a hassle to constantly keep swapping out the cables. I called up the Nintendo Customer Service, the operator just suggested I do what I've been doing. I noticed both the adapters have a 3.5mm output for headphones. As an experiment, I took a set of 3.5mm to RCA AV cables just to see if I could get composite video out of the adapter. It didn't work. Does anyone know of a mod that can be done to this adapter to output video though the 3.5mm jack or does anyone know of any breakout adapters for the Wii similar to the ones Sony released for the PlayStation?
    [​IMG]