Wii2HDMI insides

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mord.Fustang, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I ordered a Wii2HDMI adapter off of eBay cause I was tired of having to unplug/plug in different wires all the time into the TV... anyways they sell for about US$8 shipped. It does not upscale* and leaves the picture in 480i or 480p, depending on how you set the resolution on your system. It's simply a component to HDMI converter in a small box. Anyways, I wanted to see the inside so I cracked it open and took some pics for you all to see.

*apparently there's some different versions that might upscale? I'm fine with it not upscaling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main components:

CodeAsm and sa1 like this.
  2. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

Great article, thanks.

3. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

I was always asking about if the converter do some scaling, now is answered. Maybe I buy one from aliexpress to try it out.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. martin_crickett

martin_crickett Rising Member

Does this device work well?

5. Mord.Fustang

I haven't had it very long but haven't had any issues with it yet... tried using it with the system set to 480i and 480p and never had issues. Apparently some other versions have a button to switch to 720p and 1080-something.
    But for $8 it was definitely worth it because I had free HDMI ports on my TV and only 1 set of component AND composite.
    I have another one coming in the mail that's black. I'll check the insides to see if it's the same as this white one.

6. martin_crickett

martin_crickett Rising Member

Awesome :D $8 is a bargain, excellent little product :)

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

looks to be straight converting component to HDMI.

Two missing pins seem to be digital audio, something that requires more components to go from analogue to digital and thus more money :p

For $8 you could implement HDMI into most old consoles and if you found an upscaling version that'd better. There is one for PS2 also but none for the xbox however hmmm

8. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

I'd say just get a Wii U. :p

Plays everything great in vWii mode plus the console has a fucking great library. I picked up a Pro model for "21.50" + shipping last week because it was supposedly defective (software crashes). I updated the firmware and it works perfectly now. Didn't come with a gamepad but I already had one.

-doulomb

9. Mord.Fustang

I listed the components and one of them is a stereo ADC:
    It would be pretty easy to "hack" this thing up and use it for anything that uses component, I'm just not sure how well it would handle other resolutions such as 240. The fact that this simply plugs into the back of the console is extremely nice (no "modding" necessary). And it doesn't look bad, either. The 3.5mm jack is used optionally, and is probably just a pass-through. Sound still comes out of the HDMI port.

Riki here used it on his PS2:
    http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/ps2-slim-with-sata-sd-adapter.48051/
    He mentioned to me issues with resolution on the PS2 using it, his adapter is possibly a different version as well.

As for the Wii U? Yeah that's a good idea, but to buy a Wii U solely to gain HDMI would be a little silly (though I do plan on getting one in the future, for more than just the HDMI output).

10. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

I just wish I could find a component to hdmi that upscales 240p that doesn't cost a arm and a leg.

11. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

12. Pikkon

You sure it can upscale 240p component to hdmi?

13. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

It doesn't say, whats the composite output res of a snes or core grafx

14. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Funny you posted this Mord.Fustang. I recently ordered the PS2 version. Do you have any plans to review / teardown that one? It also comes with a micro-USB cable to connect to the front USB port of the console (no idea why it requires extra power).

I bought it from aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...adapter-for-HDTV-support-480i/2017741657.html

Seems like a decent future proof acessory, specially with TV manufacturers killing analog inputs. All it does is convert the analog 480i/480p signal to HDMI and if it doesn't add any perceptable lag, i'll be satisfied.

15. Mord.Fustang

I had no plans on buying one. In a PM with Riki he stated when he used Wii2HDMI on the PS2 (directly connecting the pins) that the 5V from the port was not sufficient and in his mod he used the USB as well. So it makes sense that the PS2-2-HDMI would do the same. The PS2 version looks similar and I wouldn't be surprised if the insides are almost the exact same. I can't see any lag on the Wii one, played Smash Bros and other games fine.

When you get yours, I wouldn't mind seeing the insides to compare them with this one. :)

16. Johnny

17. Pikkon

I have one of these if anyone wants some internal pics.
    [​IMG]

18. Mord.Fustang

I don't "need" pics of it, but I wouldn't mind seeing them.

19. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

I use the identical unit, which I bought mainly as I needed a the component input the Wii was using for my PS2, I actually think the picture is better than the official Nintendo component cable it replaced, deeper colours and better contrast.

Together with a 12 foot HDMI cable and a sensor bar extension, it has allowed me to keep the Wii in a closet away from the TV.

I have wondered to myself; could this device be modded to work with a Gamecube....

20. Johnny

CodeAsm likes this.