Wii U Owners, How do you feel about all the Switch rereleases?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

I wouldnt get a Wii. Just get a used Wii U and do everything a Wii can do.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

A used Wii U is still kinda expensive though, whereas you can get a Wii under 50$.

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

No gigantic tablet pad taking up room either. I can nestle it in a corner of my crowding set up.

4. Bad_Ad84

I dont see the point of having a Wii, when you can buy a Wii U and play Wii U, Wii and GC games on it.

I bought my used Wii u for £90 from a shop. I can buy Wiis for £5-10, its still better to get the U in my opinion.

5. hking0036

hking0036 Member

Wii is better if you want to play gamecube because you get the ports and the memory card slots, but Wii U is better if you don't want to deal with analog video out. I like to have the wii to play gamecube on since there are some hoops to jump through when it comes to the wii u.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. -=FamilyGuy=-

I see your point @Bad_Ad84, but in my corner of the globe, a used Wii U is roughly 100$ less than a switch, so not worth it unless there's an exclusive that you absolutely want.

Btw, Nintendont is great for GameCube games on the Wii/U, pro controller support and virtual memory carts!

Pikmin likes this.
  7. hking0036

hking0036 Member

Nintendon't is great, but if you want to hook a hard drive up to the wii u for vwii you have to use ustealth to get the wii u to stop throwing pop-ups and for some reason the wii u's usb ports give out less power than the original wii's, so you have to get a y-cable. Nintendon't is fantastic on the wii as well. I wish that they would have let the wii u use an external drive without making it a big ordeal.

8. Bad_Ad84

Wii and wii u both have low powered ports and need a y cable or powered hard drive.

Wii u with nintendont is better than wii far as I'm concerned.

When people around here are spending hundreds to get hdmi mods and rgb mods on their consoles, I'd have thought the wii vs wii u would be a no brainer.

I have a switch too and most games are coming to that. But for playing wii and cube games, as well as the odd wii u title, it's the best solution imo.

9. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

You can find my counterargument there if you look hard enough on the comments ;)

10. hking0036

hking0036 Member

The people shelling out for the rgb mods are likely more inclined to play cube and wii on a CRT to begin with, which makes the wii a better choice. Wii can use nintendon't as well. As for the hard drive thing, that's just from personal experience. The wii seems to be much less picky about external hard drives for me and if I want to play wii u games I have to have a separate drive that the wii u decides to monopolize.

11. Bad_Ad84

People are unlikely to be playing nes hdmi or n64 hdmi mods on a crt.

RGB maybe, but it was just a point about expense.

12. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I have my AVS Plugged into the HDMI Port of my Framemiester.
    Ironic as I bought the AES so I wouldn't have to run a real NES through a Framemeister.

I was going to hunt down another Component cable Gamecube as I have the cables for the GC, But I may very well just sell my GC Component cable and just run my working GC through my Framemiester in 480i through S-Video. After some real effort I got amazing results with my Dreamcast through S-Video.

13. hking0036

hking0036 Member

I was just trying to make a point about preference.

S-Video looks pretty good out of the Gamecube, but I really only use it to play GBA games. Component out on the wii is pretty solid, and if you have an original model you can have bootmii load straight to your usb loader of choice (plus with the benefit of gamecube ports and memcards built in). USBLoaderGX can be controlled by gamecube controller, so you don't have to use a wii remote at all if you want to play gamecube games.

14. Bad_Ad84

Sell GC cable, use money to buy a wii u and probably have change if the GC cables are still going for crazy money.

Edit:

Don't need original model wii with bootmii as boot 2 to auto boot into apps. Priiloader etc does that too.

But I agree with the sentiment. There's not many reasons to use a cube to play cube games.... Wii and wii u offer better options.

15. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

None of the above, honestly. If a Switch port comes out for a game I missed on Wii U but am still interested in picking up (Hyrule Warriors, for instance), I'll pick that version up instead of the Wii U version, but if I already have a game on the Wii U, I probably won't see a need to double dip. If I wanted it badly enough to pick it up back when it was a Wii U title, I probably didn't want to wait however many years will come between the original release and the Switch version.

About the only title I would double dip to get on the Switch would be Smash Bros 4, but I only have the 3DS version of that to begin with, so I guess that doesn't really count.

16. -=FamilyGuy=-

Can you play the Wii games on the Wii U pad screen? Those that don't require the IR LEDs ofc?

17. hking0036

hking0036 Member

You can display vwii on the gamepad or TV, but the gamepad can only be used as a controller on the wii virtual console games they sell. you can still use the sensor bar when sending to the gamepad, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  18. Bad_Ad84

Some. Don't know if there's homebrew to enable the rest/more.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Playing GC games on a GC at 480p via component/VGA on a CRT is the best method, I think. This is my current setup. I can see why that that isn’t convenient or affordable for everyone, though.

20. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

My only problems are that they expect you to pay 40-60$ again for your troubles of supporting NIntendo's failed product. And the 2nd that the upgrades to visuals and performance are very limited, as the Switch is barely more powerful than the Wii U.

Guess i'll have to wait for the "New Switch Pro" eventually to be impressed as a console.
    Hopefully it brings with it (Because Nintendo always releases revisions) major software updates for all first party games to take advantage of it when it arrives in a few years.

As a portable, it's marginally more impressive that you have basically an untethered portable Wii U.. with scant upgrades. (Rather pathetic in the case of Xenoblade 2)